• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Few Used Five Stars For Sale

CoopDog

I have noticed very few, if any, used Five Star leather A-2 jackets for sale. What do you think is the reason? People are satisfied with their purchase? Other reason?

B-Man2

Actually, I think it’s due to a couple of things. The first being that 5 Star is a relatively new maker of A 2 jackets. As such, there just aren’t the production numbers of them out there, like there are of ELC, Aero and GW. Therefore, there are very few of them in the resale market at present.
The second reason is that the people buying them are contributing to their own jackets design, and production and they are getting exactly what they want incorporated into their jackets to include the fit, the color of hides, the choice of hides, the color of the knits. As a result they are keeping the jackets
longer and not selling them.
That would be my thoughts on the matter.

Bombing IP

Also the cost outlay does not make you feel guilty you should of spent the money on necessities . In short its not a big chunk of change hanging in the closet ,the resale on 5 Star would not be a big return . For two reasons the company is mostly unknown and they do not cost a lot in the first place so why not keep it .

Jeff

CoopDog

They also list a lot of different sizes, and include all the key measurements, so it would appear unlikely that a buyer would get stuck with a jacket does not fit (which is a major problem with some A-2 manufacturers)

B-Man2

They also list a lot of different sizes, and include all the key measurements, so it would appear unlikely that a buyer would get stuck with a jacket does not fit (which is a major problem with some A-2 manufacturers)
See there.... you’ve got this figured out yourself. ;)

Last edited:

stanier

Without wishing to seem snooty, I’m dubious about them and at best they have a way to go yet, imho. Sometimes Shawn’s pics look excellent and they really seem to have that Doniger collar nailed if not perfect. But the knits always seem too narrow to me, no blousing at the waist and the leather...well to my eye in some of Shawn’s pics it looks great but then I look at some pics of people wearing them and, sorry to say, their jackets look like brown plastic bags. So, if you have one like that and it cost very little to start, how do you move it on? And aren’t these the guys that use other manufacturers pics on eBay etc? It just all feels (to me anyway) that to make 5 star a really desirable jacket, either new or second owner then there’s a way to go, even if very nearly there.

Brettafett

I recon besides mentioned above, its also because to sell secondhand is not going to put much cash back in the bank and its almost not worth the hassle. So like Saint-ex says, just keep it as a basher.
These Five Star and AVI LTHR jackets are good value for the money, especially seeing as you can get customisations out of Five Star. But, these are NOT high-end jackets and I doubt they ever can be for many reasons.
See and accept them as they are, and then enjoy them.
I personally love my 2019 AVI A-2, its a damn comfortable jacket and so easy to wear. Its looking better and better also. OK, its not a super-duper accurate copy of a Bronco, but its not bad considering.
I have worn this A-2 more than any of my other high-end A-2s this year. Go figure.

ties70

It'll be interesting to see, how used, worn and beaten up FS will be priced over the years.

I could imagine that they will still trade in the range of 100 - 120 USD... Considering their original purchase prices of 150 - 170 USD, this would not be a bad percentage.

Brettafett

OK, here's another thing. Five Star currently wants £200 to £300 for their Doniger (I assume depending, among other things, on goat or horse... Funny that goat is more authentic for this contract).
It looks like a nice jacket, its customisable, and appears to be a decent copy/ representation, but its not really that authentic in many respects, when compared to the high-end jackets...
Now, JaDubow has their horsehide 27798 coming in at roughly £380 ! OK, its not customisable, but its as high-end as you can get, for an A-2 repro. These will only get better with wear and will hold their value, I'm certain.
... just saying ...

Smithy

OK, here's another thing. Five Star currently wants £200 to £300 for their Doniger (I assume depending, among other things, on goat or horse... Funny that goat is more authentic for this contract).
It looks like a nice jacket, its customisable, and appears to be a decent copy/ representation, but its not really that authentic in many respects, when compared to the high-end jackets...
Now, JaDubow has their horsehide 27798 coming in at roughly £380 ! OK, its not customisable, but its as high-end as you can get, for an A-2 repro. These will only get better with wear and will hold their value, I'm certain.
... just saying ...

Very good point Brett. I'd buy one of Platon's if I could as they are the best bang for your buck out their right now. Sadly if you're tall like me you're stuffed. If he did an ELC and offered long and extra long sizings he'd definitely get a few more orders I reckon for not really any extra effort plus he could upcharge a few quid.

Brettafett

We should set up a petition. :cool:
Even just a long version with one inch added could make all the difference.

ties70

... just saying ...

Brett,

I see, my assumed purchase price was too low...I had in mind what my jackets did cost me and that was before the price went north of 200. Still, I could see them holding their value at a stable level, being optimistic that the character of these jackets will increase with time...if they will be around that long and not worn out earlier.

JA Dubow on the other hand is definitely on another level, and the business case of "no bullshit, no extras, wear-it-as-it-is" would have been my idea for FS as well: Do just one jacket, but do it perfectly!

But hey, what we as customers get is a perfectly diverse and still growing market, catering every need from "I want something that looks like one of those cool pilot jackets!" to stitch-per-stitch perfection!

Brettafett

Absolutely! Already with the price hike, your jacket could fetch what you paid for it... But why even think of selling it, it a great jacket.
I come close to ordering a Doniger at least once a month ;) These are great jackets to patch up, without worrying about resale... But now, with only a £100 or difference, Im finding it harder.
The option to have custom sizing is a biggie actually.
If they were sub £200... Tempted to get some knit and zippers from MASH and send to Shawn to make up a jacket, but lets see.
Im already planning to cull a couple of jackets in 2020. I have three top-tier Dubows, one should go. And WILL go.

Saint-ex

My Werber FiveStar goat skin was 250 euros shipping included. Still half than Ja Dubow 27798 price (450 euros + Shipping) and particularly faster.

But yes these jackets are not comparable.
I just want to say that FiveStar seems to be a very good value for money, even better than AVI (which is not more accurate but more expensive), for who want an almost accurate A-2 immediately and not so expensive.

@The Dutchman FiveStar is sometime using generic picture or Aero's picture, and yes it's not the best way to have a good reputation.
It's a shame because Shawn is very accessible, and this kind of detail discredits his business.

B-Man2

I think to some small degree we are comparing apples to oranges. Granted that I would choose a Platon Dubow over a 5 Star, if I was given the choice, every time, however 5 Star is still in its infancy stages of development in the A2 manufacturing process, where Platon has advanced his craft considerably since his BK days. I would venture to say that when 5 Star gets to that stage, his jackets will be much better in terms of accuracy, component materials and craftsmanship. Of course along with that will come the price increases we see today from some of the other makers . My comment really isn’t new, we’ve talked about this before. If your A2 budget is limited , 5 Star is definitely something to consider.If period accuracy is your overriding concern then GW is where you drop your cash. If budget and accuracy are on your radar, then Platon or BK is your go to maker. So .... once again a little bit apples and oranges.
Cheers:)

stanier

I kind of agree B-man2 to a point. 5 Star has a way to go. And price increase from some of the others is eye watering, But, the harsh fact I’m picking up, is that if you want a period accurate A-2 at a good price then Platon has nailed it (if one specific, and very desirable contract) and GW, ELC or any other maker is only going to equal, not exceed their product.

Unless your budget is pocket money, then get a Platon, and actually, unless you want a specific contract, or have eaten yourself outside any possibility of a 1940’s regular size, still get a Platon. Either side of this get a GW or ELC, or, at the other end, a 5 star. But it will be what it is, and unless a revelation (I suggest) we DON’T want pics! Sorry!

Last edited: