• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Faded Goatskin Advice

CoopDog

Attached is a photo that shows the extreme extent to which the manky old goatskin A-2 that I recently bought on Ebay has faded. I would like to treat it to give it some moisture and darken the faded areas up a bit. Based on what I have read (Thank you VLJ Forum!), I am thinking that Renapur would be a good product. It is expensive though; should I just use vaseline? Or, will I just muck it up and would I be better off leaving it be?

Saint-ex

Not clear on your photo but any leather creme could be ok. Ask to a shoes repairing shop.

Silver Surfer

wow, that is radical fading. thats a real head scratcher, and some of our expert leather works may have an idea of what to do.

Skyhawk

You can use Renapur and it would darken it a bit, maybe to the color seen by the throat hook. Eventually it would get lighter again as the conditioner fades away though, but that would be down the road a while.

I actually like the color it has faded to more than the original color. I had an original Perry A-2 in goat that was the same color. Almost a carmel brown.

Renepur is available on amazon for a good price considering it lasts forever because you use so little of it at a time. To give you an idea, I bought this same jar in 2015. It is still going and I use it a lot. Probably about 1/3 of the jar still left.

https://www.amazon.com/Renapur-Leat...qid=1575301727&sprefix=renapur,aps,240&sr=8-2

Saint-ex

Oh, I assumed it was the shadow of the collar, but ok.

In my opinion impossible to find this color unless you re-dye all the jacket.

Or remove dark under the collar to have the same russet tone.

B-Man2

Whoa!!.... That’s a first ... never saw anything like that before. There are many here with more knowledge on this than I have, but my first thoughts are you may have to have this completely re-dyed, if you want the color to match throughout the entire jacket. Looks like a job for Jeremiah :)

CoopDog

The whole jacket has basically faded from a seal brown to almost a russet. It's not bad looking, but it needs some moisture. Not all areas are as faded are the part shown in the photo above. I like the character. No need for a re-dye. Just want to darken it up a bit with some oil.

B-Man2

The whole jacket has basically faded from a seal brown to almost a russet. It's not bad looking, but it needs some moisture. Not all areas are as faded are the part shown in the photo above.

View attachment 27845
I actually wouldn’t do anything to this jacket other than condition it. I think you would lose a lot of the jackets character by re-dying it.
A lot of guys including myself are trying to wear jackets as often as possible to get them to this point . To me it looks cool .

CoopDog

I actually wouldn’t do anything to this jacket other than condition it. I think you would lose a lot of the jackets character by re-dying it.
A lot of guys including myself are trying to wear jackets as often as possible to get them to this point . To me it looks cool .

I agree. I like the look. I think it just needs some moisture.

jeremiah

That darkening won’t last with oils. It will lighten up eventually and a lot more than that pic shows once the conditioner dries on top.
dye is only thing that will get it to the unfaded color.

trust me. You don’t want to put so much conditioner on that it would darken it anyway.

I wouldn’t redye either. Looks fine.

CoopDog

Thanks.
That darkening won’t last with oils. It will lighten up eventually and a lot more than that pic shows once the conditioner dries on top.
dye is only thing that will get it to the unfaded color.

trust me. You don’t want to put so much conditioner on that it would darken it anyway.

I wouldn’t redye either. Looks fine.

Thanks. I will definitely not re-dye.

I don't expect the darkening will last forever with conditioner, but I feel that is does need at least some conditioner. But, I learned from my little test that I definitely don't like Vaseline. It stays a bit greasy. I will likely go with the Renapur because it comes so highly recommended. Remember, this was a used $100 Ebay Avirex, so I am just experimenting with this jacket in a lot of ways

entertainment

I would try the Renapur. Then you can be more aggressive if necessary. There is no way to reverse an over aggressive treatment.
Sometimes it is hard to resist though!

RB25

I’ve used Pecard Brown before with good results. Regular Pecard will darken it as well as said in the posts above.

Attachments

• 30A9C87F-4256-4D4C-B9BE-6877885E4417.jpeg
    30A9C87F-4256-4D4C-B9BE-6877885E4417.jpeg
    238.9 KB · Views: 243

Southoftheborder

I'm with some of the members up the thread who like the colour it's become. I've got an old Eastman Rough Wear that has faded to this colour and I like it.

Flightengineer

You can use Renapur and it would darken it a bit, maybe to the color seen by the throat hook. Eventually it would get lighter again as the conditioner fades away though, but that would be down the road a while.

I actually like the color it has faded to more than the original color. I had an original Perry A-2 in goat that was the same color. Almost a carmel brown.

Renepur is available on amazon for a good price considering it lasts forever because you use so little of it at a time. To give you an idea, I bought this same jar in 2015. It is still going and I use it a lot. Probably about 1/3 of the jar still left.

https://www.amazon.com/Renapur-Leather-Balsam-Fl-oz-Conditioner/dp/B005EBNZTI/ref=sr_1_2?crid=19BMS8SGH02H5&keywords=renapur+leather+balsam&qid=1575301727&sprefix=renapur,aps,240&sr=8-2

Jay, I want to thank you for your advice about Renapur.
I always used Pecard, but after reading your post I recently bought and used it on two my old jackets (one 64 years old goatskin, the other 44 horsehide). I'm very pleased with the result, and the smell of beeswax is wonderful.