• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory re-dyed

taikonaut

I have a Perry horsehide that look to have been properly re-dyed russet brown with the inside pocket showing the original lighter tan. I assume this was done by the factory and remains in excellent condition, however I heard re-dye was done when the jacket was re-issued, do they mean from one owner to another? Cant imagine they would take a used jacket back to the factory to have it re-dyed when they can do it at base or by themsleves.
Is it possible that the jacket was not issued and kept as surplus until later in the war when the factory decide to re-dye it before issue, but in that case it is not a re-issue?

T-Bolt

Does your jacket have the AAF decal on the left shoulder? I think many depot re-dyes had that added during the process. :cool:

Ted

taikonaut

T-Bolt said:
Does your jacket have the AAF decal on the left shoulder? I think many depot re-dyes had that added during the process. :cool:

Ted

Yes it does. I assume "depot" means "factory"?
I have jackets with AAF decal that werent re-dyed though.

zoomer

Let me confirm? The RE-dye was russet? And the base color some kind of tan?

Seems to me like a test or other quirk off the production line. In any case, it probably is not a reissue from an Army depot.

Depots were facilities that supplied, renovated or restored equipment. Depot is usually used to mean "not the original manufacturer."

T-Bolt

No......when I say depot, I actually mean a military depot, a U.S. Army depot either in the U.K. or in the states. I have a copy of Eastman Leather's "Golden Book" that is a few years old, and on the last page there is a photo of an Army repair depot in England during WWII. The photo shows Army personnel behind sewing machines doing repairs on various flight gear.

Ted

taikonaut

zoomer said:
Let me confirm? The RE-dye was russet? And the base color some kind of tan?

Seems to me like a test or other quirk off the production line. In any case, it probably is not a reissue from an Army depot.

Depots were facilities that supplied, renovated or restored equipment. Depot is usually used to mean "not the original manufacturer."
The base colour is the original light reddish brown typical of all Perry jackets. It is re-dyed and I am thinking it might have been done at the factory because it is very well done.

taikonaut

It is comparable to this re-dyed Roughwear examples on Acme website which claims to be done at the factory
rw_18091_js.jpg

Swing

taikonaut said:
It is comparable to this re-dyed Roughwear examples on Acme website which claims to be done at the factory

If you re-read the paragraph attached to that photo, Marc isn't claiming that that specific jacket in the photo is a re-dye. He does say you see some jackets from that contract that look to have been redyed, and that MAY have been done at the factory. It is possible that the leather RW purchased for that contract was lighter than AAC cared for and they redyed the jackets after production but before delievery. Or they may not be redye jobs at all. The inside of the pockets are well protected from grease, dirt, and oil. The "factory redye" jackets from that contract may simply be jackets that darkened up from use.

~Swing

taikonaut

You are right there, misread the initial part of the descriptions. Seen some re-dyed examples and they were just ugly like gloss paints and patchy, maybe partly due to wear.