• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fact or Flattery? Do we want Fair Critisism?

Carl

Coming from a few other forums and groups, this seems to be the norm as of late ! There seems to be "water boiling under the surface" . How much longer before it boils over and things are said that maybe someone will regret ? .
Shame to see and read these kind of things. Yes i know i can scroll on by and ignore before anyone suggests that ! :)

Silver Surfer

doncho go nowhere dr h, you are a serious and valued voice in this group. hell, brother, ya got the cajones to voice your opinions without kow towing to...... . balance is needed, always, or we descend into that dark abyss of confomity.

269sqnhudson

I haven’t chipped in much of late but as a member of the various incarnations of VLJ going back to 1998 I feel I can perhaps make a comment by way of a few short bullet points (I have a 2-year old with me so I’m multitasking!)

- Back in approx 2000-2010(?) Aero got an unabridged decade-long bashing on here. I never understood it, even as an ELC fan. I think Ken has a right to have a pick at some of the other offerings.
- Being an active forum member then a maker gives you an understandable head start. Headwind, DD, Goodwear all get a leg-up here and I think sometimes (again understandably) the forum doesn’t honestly address shortcomings in their products. I think therefore that this thread is a good one to ponder.
- Lastly, the only A2 I’ve ever owned in 22 years that I’m absolutely happy 100% with is a 2017 trainee-made Aero (£400). I’ve had Aeros I’ve not liked as much, don’t get me wrong, but I for one am very happy to have gone beyond the anti-Aero sentiment.
- This is just to illustrate that there’s more ‘group-think’ on this forum than is sometimes healthy. Sometimes it helps for someone to point it out in a thread like this one.

Tom

Ken at Aero Leather

doncho go nowhere dr h, you are a serious and valued voice in this group. hell, brother, ya got the cajones to voice your opinions without kow towing to...... . balance is needed, always, or we descend into that dark abyss of confomity.

If I've got the info correct Dr H's beef with Aero dates from the period that the firm was in the hands of management that were fired in 2012 and ended up making Mail Bags at Her Majesty's pleasure as a direct result of their wrong doings between 2004 and 2012

Dr H sent an A-1 for sleeves to be shortened and the "couldn't care less" attitude of the alteration machinist meant the two sleeves were shorted by different amounts.

If I'm wrong, please correct me, as far as I recall Dr H has never spoken to me directly re this. I'd have been really p*ssed off if it had happened to me but surely it's time to bury any hatchet he still has in his possession?

Ken at Aero Leather

- Back in approx 2000-2010(?) Aero got an unabridged decade-long bashing on here. I never understood it, even as an ELC fan. I think Ken has a right to have a pick at some of the other offerings.

Tom

I believe that started when we drew attention to what became known as The "Daisygate" Saga...............once again the messenger got hit by most of the stray bullets

269sqnhudson

Yes yes Daisygate. I was OBSESSED with the steer/horse debate, I really believe as a now-40 year old that it had an adverse effect on my younger self. For a young 20-something to get all wound up with something so unimportant- crazy!

I actually owned one of ELC’s Roughwear 1401s that it turned out was cowhide but I adored it and for me it helped me overcome the focus on steer/horse and made me start looking at what’s important.

Ken at Aero Leather

There were worse times to find out your Horse was a Cow
cow_jockey.jpg

unclegrumpy

I think without people like Ken, who have years of experience and gained a high level of expertise along the way, many of these discussions would be worthless….basically like listening to 11 year old girls discuss the shade of pink a unicorn should be.

Maybe some focus on one comment buried in one thread as “self promoting”, but I have never thought that because if nothing else, he is balanced. The problem is not Ken, but rather insolent snot nosed whiny bastards that are internet “experts”, that half the time really have absolutely no idea what they are really talking about.

Clearly, the last sentence was fired for dramatic effect as a shot across the bow. However, my real point here, is to take a moment and stop and think.

I appreciate Ken’s commentary immensely, because he is often self critical and reflective, and not afraid to openly discuss what he has learned the hard way. His honesty and willingness to freely share is under appreciated. It is often amazing that he still has any patience left....especially given the limited amount he has left to work with ;)

Geeboo

Agree x 2
"I think without people like Ken, who have years of experience and gained a high level of expertise along the way, many of these discussions would be worthless….basically like listening to 11 year old girls discuss the shade of pink a unicorn should be.
Maybe some focus on one comment buried in one thread as “self promoting”, but I have never thought that because if nothing else, he is balanced. The problem is not Ken, but rather insolent snot nosed whiny bastards that are internet “experts”, that half the time really have absolutely no idea what they are really talking about."
Very-well written.

zoomer

That was the era when they produced square-bodied A-2s, ie, shoulders and front flap both measuring about 21 1/2 or 22”.

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

That was the era when they produced square-bodied A-2s, ie, shoulders and front flap both measuring about 21 1/2 or 22”.
I missed those. must have been specials for short squat folk?

The record, incidentally was a size 58" chest A-2 (24" shoulder) we made for a gentleman who stood 5 '6" tall. Every other maker had refused to help, he wrote such friendly mails we felt sorry for him and Sam (our pattern cutter) was up for a challenge, amazingly if fitted as well as could be expected given the dimensions

Teddy

I missed those. must have been specials for short squat folk?

The record, incidentally was a size 58" chest A-2 (24" shoulder) we made for a gentleman who stood 5 '6" tall. Every other maker had refused to help, he wrote such friendly mails we felt sorry for him and Sam (our pattern cutter) was up for a challenge, amazingly if fitted as well as could be expected given the dimensions
The most valuable "assets" at Aero aren't the jacket patterns but the people. Most friendly and patient people I've dealt with among the high-end brands ;)

Ken at Aero Leather

The most valuable "assets" at Aero aren't the jacket patterns but the people. Most friendly and patient people I've dealt with among the high-end brands ;)

Thank you on their behalf
We are very lucky to have the team we've got, and so many young folk too, we have found it's far easier to teach sewing skills than people skills, which are an "essential" in our interview process.