• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Experience with this brand?

Brettafett

Brett just waiting for my Platon Dubow to arrive. Your photos have convinced me to get an AVI. Your jacket’s look amazing, but I am thinking Russet, has anyone got photos of AVI A2 Russett. After that I am DONE...for a long while.
The AVIs, as nice as they are, cannot touch Platon's Dubow. That said, they are perfect for sitting in a car and everyday wear.
I'd wait a bit and put pennies aside for the horsehide Bronco. If it manifests... Depending on price, I may give it a go.

Smithy

I love my AVI Bronco. As Brett says they're not GW accurate but for the money are really excellent. Mine isn't the latest version but from mid last year and the same as the one on the right in Brett's second photos on the previous page - the slightly heavier goat. Really fantastic jacket and I don't know how to put it exactly but in terms of the spirit it's been made in, it feels closer to an original than some of the uber-precision, accurate repros. Difficult to convey but needless to say I'm very fond of my one.

Southoftheborder

I have a particularly nice Harris tweed hacking jacket which if I'm honest I happen to like just as much as any flight jacket I have. I don't wear it in exactly the same circumstances and maybe it's a Norwegian female thing but women here seem to absolutely love it. If I had a gold rupee for every member of the fairer sex that has come up and made favourable noises and touched it (the jacket you perverts!), well I wouldn't be exactly rich but it'd be more than enough for a packet of smokes and a swig of something warming!

Women have always loved tweed, and it's always making a fashion comeback. I recently bought a long Donegal tweed raglan overcoat to go with my Harris tweed sports jacket. The long mid calf length is perfect in the cold winds at the moment. The thing I always love about tweed is all the colours you see when you look into it closely. Little multi coloured flecks making up a whole colour from a few feet away but many different colours close up.

Micawber

Women have always loved tweed, and it's always making a fashion comeback. I recently bought a long Donegal tweed raglan overcoat to go with my Harris tweed sports jacket. The long mid calf length is perfect in the cold winds at the moment. The thing I always love about tweed is all the colours you see when you look into it closely. Little multi coloured flecks making up a whole colour from a few feet away but many different colours close up.

I have a lot more Tweed gear than repro leather flight gear. I'm more country than town and that I'm more at home with a double twelve over my arm and sundry spaniels and Labradors at heel than I am carrying a briefcase or manbag in the city.

London Cabbie

I bought one of these a few years ago, really really warm and waterproof highly recommend one lots of colours ideal for woodland walks....

DESCRIPTION

Internal padded Lining is 100% Polyester, to ensure resistance against harsh weather condition. Internal lining has a diamond quilted pattern. Inner sleeves have woollen cuffs for further comfort and wind protection.

Outer jacket is made from 60% Wool, 25% Polyester 11% Acrylic and 4% composed of other fibres, making this jacket top quality fabric. Jacket has extra seams from the top of the shoulder and arms for extra strength and durability. Other features include 2 hand warmer pockets, two bellow front pockets, one inside zipped pocket, 2-way brass heavy duty zip, detachable neck flap and moleskin trimming around the collar and pockets.

Produced to the highest standards by a manufacturer of top quality countrywear and derby clothing. The tweed has been treated with Teflon which acts as a fabric protector, making this product long-lasting protection against oil- and water-based stains, dust and dry soil. A breathable membrane is added between the fabric and lining, which makes this garment waterproof. The membrane lets our body perspiration to the outer surface, while remaining waterproof and protecting against the worst weather conditions

Please check our size guide against your jacket you wish to purchase Please note that any jacket purchased at size 3XL/ 4XL will be charged at an additional £10 and any jacket purchased at 5XL charged at an additional £30 due to amount of fabric used to produce garment. Jackets are generously sized, would be a perfect fit with a suit jacket underneath, so please be careful when purchasing.

Attachments

• CE9B8F06-6776-4DE1-828E-4E3ED7265A55.jpeg
    CE9B8F06-6776-4DE1-828E-4E3ED7265A55.jpeg
    367.3 KB · Views: 135

London Cabbie

The big thing Brett like I mention earlier in this thread is that nearly all modern scarves don't have the heft to the silk like the ones from the 30s and 40s which means they often look very anaemic when you try and tie them and they tend to slip and untie themselves.

I've only found two modern ones which were like originals, the ones that John Comfort used to make (they made them back during the 30s and 40s too) and the one in the link I put above. Both of these have silk on one side and very, very fine wool on the other side, this style was considered by many aircrew to be the best type.

London Cabbie

The big thing Brett like I mention earlier in this thread is that nearly all modern scarves don't have the heft to the silk like the ones from the 30s and 40s which means they often look very anaemic when you try and tie them and they tend to slip and untie themselves.

I've only found two modern ones which were like originals, the ones that John Comfort used to make (they made them back during the 30s and 40s too) and the one in the link I put above. Both of these have silk on one side and very, very fine wool on the other side, this style was considered by many aircrew to be the best type.