• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Experience with this brand?

B-Man2

Sir, is this their standard Russet colour...?
Hi LC
No the standard russet color was actually a bit on the orange side and I thought it was a bit too much, so I worked on mine a bit to achieve the current color.
How do you like the color now?
Be honest :) ;) I

London Cabbie

That’s why I asked. I really like the colour. For the money I suppose you can afford to mess around with it, I bought a goatskin Wested Indy Raiders jacket recently and first thing I did was throw it in the washing machine, wore it damp for a few days it now looks 10 times better and NATURALLY worn.
How did you darken the leather and does anyone have advice on how to darken leather...?
Obviously you could buy a top tier jacket which would eliminate having to do this.

B-Man2

L
That’s why I asked. I really like the colour. For the money I suppose you can afford to mess around with it, I bought a goatskin Wested Indy Raiders jacket recently and first thing I did was throw it in the washing machine, wore it damp for a few days it now looks 10 times better and NATURALLY worn.
How did you darken the leather and does anyone have advice on how to darken leather...?
Obviously you could buy a top tier jacket which would eliminate having to do this.
LC
It was a process whereby I tried about 3 different products and finished it off with Pecards Brown,
7658DFE7-5EA7-4C22-BF80-86AD2F6F62C1.jpeg

Smithy

I bought a goatskin Wested Indy Raiders jacket recently

I've got one in their very sadly no longer available "soft seal brown cowhide" which I am very fond of. They are great jackets, very practical and extremely comfortable to wear. It's gotten a lot of complements too, more than some of my jackets which are far more expensive. Great jackets.

B-Man2

For those looking for a pure silk scarf, fashioned in WW2 style, look here.
Saw these in person a few weeks ago, when i popped in. Love them.
Looks pretty cool but not knowing much about scarf lengths , that looks more like a large cravat .... would do you guys think?

Smithy

For those looking for a pure silk scarf, fashioned in WW2 style, look here.
Saw these in person a few weeks ago, when i popped in. Love them.

The big thing Brett like I mention earlier in this thread is that nearly all modern scarves don't have the heft to the silk like the ones from the 30s and 40s which means they often look very anaemic when you try and tie them and they tend to slip and untie themselves.

I've only found two modern ones which were like originals, the ones that John Comfort used to make (they made them back during the 30s and 40s too) and the one in the link I put above. Both of these have silk on one side and very, very fine wool on the other side, this style was considered by many aircrew to be the best type.

Brettafett

Here are some AVI jackets...
3 incarnations of their seal Bronco and their 55J14 G-1.
The 2019 A-2 is the least WW2 'accurate' Bronco, but my favourite AVI A-2. Its very comfy and easy to wear. Replaced the knits.
IMG_20191009_123403034.jpg
Previous versions. One on the left was a great jacket, sold it to an RAF pilot. On right was very nice, heftier goat, nice pattern...
AVI BRONCO A-2 10.jpgAVI BRONCO SEAL 1.jpg
The G-1 gets a lot of wear and looks great after I replaced the knit. Looking better an better. Goat is really pebbling-out.
IMG_20181028_093933236_HDR.jpg
These are not at the level of ELC, GW or BK, in terms of detail... but are very nice jackets for the money. Better than some jackets twice the price for sure.
Of interest... I received a reply a few weeks ago, when I was chasing for info on a Perry A-2 they were supposed to be making. I was told that they have moved production to China, and are having a seal horsehide Bronco test jacket made up. They moved to China because they want to offer a better, more accurate jacket. Also mentioned the possibility of an M422a.

London Cabbie

I've got one in their very sadly no longer available "soft seal brown cowhide" which I am very fond of. They are great jackets, very practical and extremely comfortable to wear. It's gotten a lot of complements too, more than some of my jackets which are far more expensive. Great jackets.

I had one originally from many years ago. Met Peter who was lovely. The jacket I bought had short sleeves never wore it, gave it to charity shop. But thought after coming on this forum I should get one in the heavier goatskin. They made the sleeves longer with tapered cuffs, it fits perfect and after the wash looks amazing. Will upload some photos soon...really happy with it has a smarter vintage look. Again like the ELC G1, perfect for sitting in a Cab.

London Cabbie

Here are some AVI jackets...
3 incarnations of their seal Bronco and their 55J14 G-1.
The 2019 A-2 is the least WW2 'accurate' Bronco, but my favourite AVI A-2. Its very comfy and easy to wear. Replaced the knits.
View attachment 27293
Previous versions. One on the left was a great jacket, sold it to an RAF pilot. On right was very nice, heftier goat, nice pattern...
View attachment 27291View attachment 27292
The G-1 gets a lot of wear and looks great after I replaced the knit. Looking better an better. Goat is really pebbling-out.
View attachment 27294
These are not at the level of ELC, GW or BK, in terms of detail... but are very nice jackets for the money. Better than some jackets twice the price for sure.
Of interest... I received a reply a few weeks ago, when I was chasing for info on a Perry A-2 they were supposed to be making. I was told that they have moved production to China, and are having a seal horsehide Bronco test jacket made up. They moved to China because they want to offer a better, more accurate jacket. Also mentioned the possibility of an M422a.

Brett just waiting for my Platon Dubow to arrive. Your photos have convinced me to get an AVI. Your jacket’s look amazing, but I am thinking Russet, has anyone got photos of AVI A2 Russett. After that I am DONE...for a long while.

Micawber

All this talk of silk scarves means I can't get the image the old chaps who hang around yacht clubs sipping G&T's dressed attired in blue blazers, white flannels, pumps, open neck shirt sporting a polka dot cravat or scarf.

Smithy

^^I say! I have one or two houndstooth jackets like that what!

I have a particularly nice Harris tweed hacking jacket which if I'm honest I happen to like just as much as any flight jacket I have. I don't wear it in exactly the same circumstances and maybe it's a Norwegian female thing but women here seem to absolutely love it. If I had a gold rupee for every member of the fairer sex that has come up and made favourable noises and touched it (the jacket you perverts!), well I wouldn't be exactly rich but it'd be more than enough for a packet of smokes and a swig of something warming!

London Cabbie

Yesterday I picked up George & Gilbert in me Cab. Always together. Always in full Tweed, (we spoke about it) since the early 60’s everyday. Lovely fellas. They do dance the other end of the Ballroom...

Attachments

• 6B051950-C0B6-4E49-890F-B415348CBF62.jpeg
    6B051950-C0B6-4E49-890F-B415348CBF62.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 197