• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever had a mouse nibble on your leather jacket?

Spitfireace

I just took my Irvin out of the dresser drawer I keep it in and it looks like a mouse might have taken a small nibble of the seam leather. I don't remember it there before. I'm definitely putting it in a suit bag now. I didn't think a mouse could get in the third drawer up from the ground, but I know they are pesky. I know about the moth problems people have gotten into.
20190922_121400.jpg

Edward

doesn't look anything like a mouse nibble to me. I think he would have eaten through it ...I could be wrong.. perhaps he enjoyed licking his gnawed hole aftwards but to me it looks like something rotted the hole. like an acid burn... very weird. some moths do indeed eat leather as do carpet beetles.
occassionally silverfish will eat leather but usually prefer the cotton liner.

Edward

this is interesting... "Bacon or larder beetle is native to Central Europe with 68 types of pest that feeds on dry organic matter. This includes dead, desiccated animals and insects - but unfortunately also tanned hides and skins of animals can be enormously damaged by bacon beetles in a short time. Therefore, most museums take a lot of precautions, as they pose a danger for the exhibits."

Edward

ya those pesky things... I found two in my apartment over the past few years. didn't think much of it until I found out they LOVE cotton and RAYON that have been sweated in. makes me panic at the thought that they may be lurking in the liners of my A-2 jackets. so far I don't see any damage so hopefully the two I saw are isolated incidents. I would think they would go for your liner before the leather though but who knows.

Spitfireace

I've taken pesticide in a spray bottle and sprayed along all walls like in the bathroom and kitchen. Cuts down a lot but not entirely.

Spitfireace

Well the trouble with the hung up in closet jacket, like the lighter jackets, are going to be subject to possible moths. The heavier jackets in the drawers are going to subject to pests like mice, roaches, silverfish. Unfortunately we have to learn the hard way when things might have got damaged.

Edward

agreed. its a pity we have to be worried about creepy crawly things in the night. I have not only the wool knits but an unissued 1942 Gabardine wool flight suit, Eastman rangoon officers pinks and greens shirt and pants..... then three vintage Gabardine crushers... always inspecting them and always checking the nooks and crannies for evidence of bugs. pain in the ass. lol!

Smithy

If it's mice there will be mouse shit in the drawers. Have a look, it looks like nigella seeds or black sesame seeds.

If there's none it's not mice.

I thought initially it looked a bit like a ciggie burn.

mulceber

Weird. I can sympathize with how frustrating this must be - I had mysterious issues of dye running on my BK Relic Hunter back when I first got into high-end repros. Never really figured out what it was, but I ended up having them replace the panel of the sleeve it was on.

I agree though that this looks almost like a burn of some kind. How long had it been in the drawer when you discovered it, out of curiosity?

D97x7

I'd say that's touched something hot, like a light bulb or similar, bloody annoying whatever caused it.
Edit
Having said that, wouldn't there be more seared edges if it had been burnt somehow.

ausreenactor

Would be more than that if a mouse was forced to eat it. Incisors would give you double lines on the edges. Had a mouse in my badge draw. More pee and shit stains on the upper badges. I was LUCKY. Paranoid now..
Just spayed my room with crawler spray.

MikeyB-17

These are your boys!

Yes Couchy, Smithy et al, I know you have much bigger and harder spiders than we have in the UK.

Spitfireace

Yup, I do have spiders in my apartment, they are the daddy long legs type and are mainly annoying in their web building. They don't cause any real damage I think. I know I have had a mouse in the apartment. I saw it in my kitchen, I observed it going into a hole under my cupboards. I then put some tin foil in the hole and I haven't seen it since. It might have nibbled on the jacket when I left it sitting on the couch overnight. I doubt if it occurred in the drawer.