• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Escape/dinghy whistles on Navy jackets?

Earloffunk

As I start pulling out some more jackets out of my closet I started wondering if escape/dinghy whistles have ever been attached to Navy jackets? Up to now I have seen them only attached to A2 jackets and some British jackets.

Cheers

unclegrumpy

For the USN WWII through Korea, whistles were typically attached to life vests...later either life vests or survival vests.

Officer Dibley

I think the RAF started the fashion. At war and flying over water several years before the US showed up :D The whistle on the BD collar was almost ubiquitous.

Of course i could be wrong (and frequently am !) but please show me a pic of any USN or USAAC wearing a whistle before the US turned up in the UK

unclegrumpy

I think the RAF started the fashion. At war and flying over water several years before the US showed up :D The whistle on the BD collar was almost ubiquitous.

Of course i could be wrong (and frequently am !) but please show me a pic of any USN or USAAC wearing a whistle before the US turned up in the UK

I totally concur. There might be an earlier picture somewhere, but I don't think it was a common practice.

Members online

Latest posts