• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Epaulette accuracy- various repros compared to original Aeros- 21996, 18775, 15142

ausreenactor

Yes two original jackets kinda show the "X" in the center but there's a lot more "...to discuss...". The reason the "X" is the way it is on originals is because of the sewing order- how the ep was attached and when in the sewing process. Aero Scotland doesn't get it- that's the "end of discussion". Check out my newer post on collars and windflaps for unambiguous inaccuracy...

Starting to remember why you got banned back in the day.....

KariJ

Sir ZuZu May I ask that what might be Your personal business adress to buy such a perfect A2. Seems You have so excellent amount of a knowledge that I really wonder where to get a perfect jacket made by you

Ken at Aero Leather

Brendan Behan Quote
Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.

ZuZu

Brendan Behan Quote
Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.

You are exactly right about that! Your statement however would be less ironic if you actually knew how to do it too! You can kinda do it- 65% of the way there but unable to commit! Eastman made a commitment- they're way ahead of where they were in 2012- 95% of the way! Good Wear did commit-always- and he's 97-98% of the way there! Others have branched off from GW and they too are in the 95 percentile of being accurate in pattern and details (DD, BK, Platon?). I did attempt to make a jacket in 2012- I took a course- I learned some stuff (like linings are to be larger than the shell) but I am not cut out to make jackets. I did have an original A-2 taken apart to work with- I learned hitherto unknown pattern facts which I passed on! Ever wonder why Good Wear's jackets look so good? He actually does take apart jackets for patterns and he does take advice- he's not afraid to change if need be for accuracy. Again- look at the photos- I bear you no ill will- I'm not insulting you (as you are me)- and think about hiring me for a consult...

MikeyB-17

I think the problem with Aero-possibly Ken himself-is that they aren’t really interested in military repros (several of Ken’s comments would seem to support this). They know there’s a market for it, so they do it, but TBH they’d rather be doing civilian jackets. So they make their military jackets very well, but can’t really be arsed to deal with all the little nitpicking details-like how the collar/zip interacts with the windflap, or how much of the X is showing. If it’s a well-made jacket, that will do. Leave all that stuff to the other makers. So Jeff I wouldn’t pack your suitcase, I don’t think you’ll be off to Scotland any time soon. I don’t think they really want to know. I don’t mean that as an attack, I just think their interests lie elsewhere.

mulceber

I think the problem with Aero-possibly Ken himself-is that they aren’t really interested in military repros (several of Ken’s comments would seem to support this). They know there’s a market for it, so they do it, but TBH they’d rather be doing civilian jackets. So they make their military jackets very well, but can’t really be arsed to deal with all the little nitpicking details-like how the collar/zip interacts with the windflap, or how much of the X is showing. If it’s a well-made jacket, that will do. Leave all that stuff to the other makers. So Jeff I wouldn’t pack your suitcase, I don’t think you’ll be off to Scotland any time soon. I don’t think they really want to know. I don’t mean that as an attack, I just think their interests lie elsewhere.

I think that's exactly right. For all the mean-spiritedness and insults (on both sides) that have characterized the conversation, what has emerged is that there are a number of points on which the Aero A-2 repros differ from their namesakes. They're well-made jackets, whereas the originals aren't necessarily. But I don't think Ken has much interest in slavish accuracy, especially when a large majority of his business is coming from the civilian jackets.