• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Epaulette accuracy- various repros compared to original Aeros- 21996, 18775, 15142

ZuZu

These 2 examples are both epaulettes from original Aero jackets. Notice the stitching pattern- especially the "X" on the shoulder. As you can see it is not complete and even seems to drop off at the edge of the shoulder. In the left hand picture (from an original 15142) this is radically so- the "X" has become almost a "V"!

Aero_15142_A-2_Russet_Vicenza_Horsehide_JEX9_epaulet.jpg
Aero_A-2_18775_Dark_Seal_Vicenza_NH4_epaulet.jpg

Here are examples of the Aero of Scotland epaulettes from a 15142 and a 18775. Notice that the "X" on the shoulders does NOT die but rather is very earnestly sewn complete as a big "X". This does not occur in original Aeros- inevitably the "X: is cut off.

Last edited:

ZuZu

IMO the Aero of Scotland epaulette is straight up inaccurate. When repro makers fall into the trap of "correcting" originals the jackets start becoming interpretations and not reproductions- especially when the maker claims stitch for stitch accuracy taken from original patterns. The photos speak for themselves.

ZuZu

As a side note- check out the eps from 2 original Aero 15142ps. The 2 parallel stich lines are done with light colored very loose stitching and the box "X" stitching is done with darker thread so as to become almost invisible:

beaut aer.jpg

I wish a repro maker would emulate these weird eps...

Last edited:

robrinay

Just a guess as I’m not an expert but maybe the machinists were working under time pressure and or the jackets shown at the top of this thread were made at the end of a Friday shift and so were less than perfect. Perhaps the example pictured by Royal crown32 was the first one made after a holiday? - or maybe vice versa?

petermack09

Ken,,I need you to get back to me pronto,,Iv just checked my epaulets and the label on my jacket,,I’m just going to count the stitches now,,to say I’m shocked is an understatement ,is my jacket accurate?
The fact that I love my jacket is irrelevant,,I’m now waiting on some nugget to approach me in Glasgow and berate me for being taken in ,,,this jacket is heading to the classified section if this true ,A very miffed Peter.
image.jpg
image.jpg
CB7D0CE6-62F6-4B3C-A1A3-B466A89DDDB0.jpeg

Grant

Jeff,
Thanks for pointing these Aero Scotland inaccuracies out. Interesting that the other Aero repro makers get this detail right and not the company carrying the name.