• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC's Elite Units 95th BG DUBOW 1755

Persimmon

7D268B86-27B8-44B0-AD18-0C43824C0B7E.jpeg
New addition to ELC's Elite Units line-up. Anyone have £1899 to spare...
www.eastmanleather.com/news.php?article_id=139&osCsid=0ea58c607d1e2ff0bfaff0e9d2db3b45

Brettafett

I've seen this jacket in person at the last Duxford Airshow. Its nice... All ELC's are... But its not better than either BK's or Platon's Dubow, or John's for that matter.
In fact, I'd say that BK's 1755 I saw a while back was a slightly better rendition. In fact, I'd say Platon's is also... And you could get 5 of those for the price of this jacket.
(I am referring to the over-scalloped pockets on ELC's version, which is not very authentic imo. Its like their Slender model).
Actually. I don't mean to get into a who-has-a-better-jacket... thats silly... This is simply their version.

Micawber

I know pricing has been discussed umpteen times before but I wonder how many ELC actually sell at this price level and where the largest chunk of their market is now, presumably the land of the rising sun being one of them. These copies are nice but they have not actually been there and done it despite the look they are attempting to portray.

Officer Dibley

People pay ridiculous sums for handbags, shoes etc. For some the price and not the quality is what is important.

Everything goes in cycles. Maybe it will pick up but only if youngsters suddenly find these jackets cool.

A bit like vintage motorcycles. Went up in value because the people who rode them when young had disposable income to buy back their youth. But youngsters have no attachment and are not mechanically minded. As the oldies die, the demand/interest is falling.

Perhaps youngsters are not bothered by nuances and minor details of jackets as they are too busy living their lives for such irrelevant fluff.

Perhaps i am totally wrong.......

B-Man2

If exorbitant price increases continue like this , 2nd tier jackets are going to become the norm for new guys getting into this hobby. I just find it a little bizarre when the reproduction jacket costs around $ 600. to $1000. more that the actual original jacket . Your thoughts guys??

Bombing IP

You want the jacket but the originals do not fit most of us so we look to the repro makers . The jacket makers have the internet to thank for the price hikes because has created a developed knowledgeable clientele , the internet is like a giant storefront of A2 products and information . Where as before information was in a magazine as an advertisement an we were totally detached from like minded people . All the little nuances and minutia are discussed makers labels zips studs etc on the internet by like minded people . I cannot put my finger on why A2 jackets are so popular with people to day young and old all of whom were born after this period . Which is not usually the case as people usually buy things they could not get when they were younger and now have the money to do so . So many makers out there making A2 jackets probably more makers than were around in WWII , with no end to the demand in sight .The jacket was worn by American Airmen enlisting after Dec 7th to the cancellation of the jacket in On April 27, 1943, Type A-2 was declared Limited Standard it was in that time period the jacket got noticed ,of course I am preaching to the choir . That was just 15 months the jacket was issued and its memory lives on stronger today this simple little jacket .I know the jacket was around much longer but before WWII there were only 5000+ made before the out break of war and if WWII did not occur there would not be any repro A2 jacket makers . Go figure !.

BIP

Brettafett

No doubt ELC makes great, high quality, authentic jackets, and I'm sure the materials they use are not cheap... But really, Platon's Dubow is on par... easily, but at a fifth the cost! Still trying to my head around that! :D

Micawber

No doubt ELC makes great, high quality, authentic jackets, and I'm sure the materials they use are not cheap... But really, Platon's Dubow is on par... easily, but at a fifth the cost! Still trying to my head around that! :D

There are those who are label focussed and somewhat blind to alternatives by other makers who may produce garments of equal quality at lesser cost. Labels are regarded as status symbols by some, the same applies to a plethora of other products. In a word - snobbery. Price is not always a gauge of quality - period.

Juanito

Personally, I don't think Eastman really cares if they sell many or any at all. It is a marketing strategy to create an image of the brand itself, with a common marketing tactic for a business to offer a range or line of product it has no real interest in promoting for any other reason than to say that they do, differentiating them from others, and to be able to claim they have the widest line. It is posturing and pageantry.

Last edited:

taikonaut

Unlike ELC, Platon don't have the brand name that warrant a higher price tag. For instant one might ask ELC made jackets for such and such a movie, it was great and made millions at the box office and some A-list actor wore it and some hot looking chic actress cried all over their jacket, but Platon they made nice jacket and reenactors and nerds thinks they are good value.