• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Werber and HLB jackets, not anymore?

zhz44

Hi guys, I just noticed that the HLB and Werber jackets are not listed on ELC website, does this mean the ELC will not produce these jackets anymore? Does anyone know why?

I will be very disappointed if this is the case as I think these are two best repo ELC made. Thanks.

Brettafett

I think the lady who built them has retired. Don't know details, but understood the Werber will not be made for the foreseeable future, assume this includes the HLB...?
Yes, its a shame, great jackets. Very unique. Although I don't trust those zippers ;)

zoomer

The Kwik #8 on the HLB feels very sturdy. The Hookless used on the Werber (#7 I think) is lighter and looser but improved from ELC’s earlier production (I lost a slide and a couple of teeth on an early one - my current one has given zero trouble).

The issue with these early designs is that the male side doesn’t seat itself in the female side just because you pull the pull! You need to use your left hand to guide the male down till it stops. Then hold it there as you start the pull moving with your right hand.

Last edited:

Lorenzo_l

Hi,

As Brett mentioned, the seamstress who used to manufacture both the Werber and HLB jackets at ELC has retired. However, other seamstresses are currently being trained to build these jackets. When those staff are up to speed, both jackets will be back in ELC's line-up. I have a Werber on order and I have been corresponding with the folks at ELC - Rob Brace reckons the jackets will be back in production in 2-3 month's time.

zoomer

What I’d do, were it me, is offer square-cornered pockets for just a touch extra cost, and label it 32-6225. And a 36-1112P with the unique snap tab collar closure (and, I think, a grommet zipper). Otherwise it’d be the same old beloved Werber.

Of course we don’t know for certain what the 6225 looked like, but I would be keen to find out. So should ELC.

Last edited:

zoomer

The Kwik #8 on the HLB feels very sturdy. The Hookless used on the Werber (#7 I think) is lighter and looser but improved from ELC’s earlier production (I lost a slide and a couple of teeth on an early one - my current one has given zero trouble).

The issue with these early designs is that the male side doesn’t seat itself in the female side just because you pull the pull! You need to use your left hand to guide the male down till it stops. Then hold it there as you start the pull moving with your right hand.
AND! Once it's seated and zipped, DON'T MESS WITH IT IN ANY WAY! Otherwise it'll unseat, separate at the bottom, and the construction IS sturdy...sturdy enough that you'll have to DESTROY the slider to get out of the jacket!!! (Unless you or a helper can pry off the top stoppers with you inside, allowing the slider to come free at the top - an option callously denied yrs truly...)

This happened to me just tonight. All I did was absent-mindedly bend and fold the leather zipper footing panels a few times while out strolling. Next thing I knew I was trapped, and a short time later I was looking at a three figure repair!

These zips ought to come with warning slips!!!

Last edited:

Brettafett

:D At a recent UK airshow, I tried on a HLB (gently) and the zipper went 'south'... Rob had to take the jacket to the back to 'fix'... Oh dear. Be careful with these gents.

zoomer

I am picturing a small zig-zag fold-out card, looped to each zip pull with string, providing instruction and amusement in rhyming couplets and cartoons as follows.

(1930s style line drawing of hapless airman whose zipper has split and can’t be opened)
A zipper with GROMMETS or RIVETS applied
Can SPLIT at the bottom and trap you inside.

(drawing: tab and slot)
So hold the tab ALL THE WAY DOWN in the slot.
And once they're together, then HANDLE THEM NOT!

(drawing: zip footing panels)
The waist panels shouldn't be folded or flexed.
The tab can slip loose - and the teeth will part next!

(drawing: airman beaming as his jacket is perfectly zipped)
Just zip with a touch that is CAREFUL and SURE -
Then leave it alone and be SAFE and SECURE.

(drawing: stoppers - prying one off with knife or screwdriver)
In case you get stuck, find the top of each track
And pry off the stoppers (they CAN be put back).

(drawing: slider coming off zipper at top)
Then pull up the slider until it comes free.
And next time - please take the precautions you see!

Last edited:

zoomer

I feel this concept is some of my best work of late.
But is it embarrassing to any VLJers for any reason?
(I know we have a warm spot for the kind of Real Men who don't write verse, or dwell on their failings.)

Last edited:

zoomer

Oh I know they will - just that the training of a new employee could delay the process. I would think installing and anchoring the old style zip is one of the more complex operations...no?

Last edited: