• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Timeworn Vs Warhorse

Skip

RE: the BK knits. If thats the earlier Dubow J has from memory of his post I think its one of their early jackets? J will chime in on this I hope. But they look the same as on my early BK's, they are fairly tough and have that ribbing, I think they use a different supplier now. I've now replaced the ones on my AN-J-3 and they do feel a lot better.

Brettafett

Steve, where did you get a ticket 'yesterday'. I've been scouring.... If anyone find one, pls let me know! Thanks

johnwayne

Must admit I thought the BK knits looked odd too! That aside hoping weather for BOB airshow at weekend holds up too - I’ll keep an eye open for you Steve, are you with Andrew ( Roughwear )? Might give my original Dubow an airing if cool enough!!

Silver Surfer

the knits used by bk are with out doubt, the closest, in fact clones of those used on original a-2s. they are the same that chappy uses on his gw a-2s. platon sourced them years ago, shared his find, and the knits became the bench mark for the top tier us repro makers. correct all wool, correct weave, correct weight,, correct colors.

Brettafett

I think there are some pics in the 4th FG thread, showing this. Or in one of the recent threads showing wartime A-2s.
I guess its just that they do appear different from other manufacturers...

jeremiah

Yeah those are my dubow which is an early BK. The knits on my aero are different. They are more like the fuzzy wool and similar to what’s on my Eastman.
A74BAF78-3942-4DE8-A48E-957187A6F8A9.jpeg

Brent

the knits used by bk are with out doubt, the closest, in fact clones of those used on original a-2s.

Sorry to hijack the thread. My four year old BK and 75 year old Perry. Looks different to me. Guess my BK is an early model.

Regards,

20180920_134304.jpg

Last edited:

jeremiah

Yes. Your BK knits resemble my early BK dubow. My BK aero knits on the other hand resemble your Perry knits.

taikonaut

I have the ELC house jacket seal brown with Timeworn treatment and it does feel waxy and stiff but using some Eastman conditioner lightly helped soften it.
Objectively it looks vintage like WW2 originals but it does not look or feel vintage up close. The new jacket shine is noticeable but I'm sure it will look better with proper wear.
Remember I'm comparing it to WW2 original jackets not one that is worn for 10yrs frequently. I heard people using talc or baby powder to dampen down the shine so I use Japanese "uchiko" which is powdered whetsone that is use to lift off oil on Japanese swords. I laid the jacket flat and hit the uchiko ball against my hand and allow the powder to float and settle over the jacket then rub the jacket with my hand. While it still retains some gloss it no longer look or feel like a new leather upholstery and are more like my WW2 originals.