• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Star Sportswear VS. ELC Monarch fit...

A

Anonymous

Chandler said:
rotenhahn said:
That would look like cardboard worn...

This is great, I finally get to say it back to you!! WRONG! :lol:

Seriously, it's a really soft and pliable hide that drapes very nicely, thank you. You can see the softness in the folds, and it actually looks (yeah, the OI again) softer than the original I found pictured.

So, THERE!

Chandler

Post a picture of it worn...

A

Anonymous

Chandler- do you really want me to go through the litany of some of the technical details that are wrong with the jacket you posted? It's a nice jacket- not a nearly perfect copy-- this could go on forever- couldn't it? You're obtuse- in you little dream world- carry on believing...

Chandler

rotenhahn said:
Chandler- do you really want me to go through the litany of some of the technical details that are wrong with the jacket you posted?

Don't bother, I believe you already did in that post I linked to -- to the eye roll of most of us who have started to only laugh and jibe at your silly antics.

Yeah, I'm as obtuse as you are self-centered and pompous, guess we were meant for each other. :lol:

Chandler

duke

Let's try to settle down and get back to the thread topic. I notice a difference in the cut of my ELC Star versus a ELC 1401 I once had. The Star is longer in the body length and not as full in the gut region.
I also asked HPA before ordering and they said that in regards to the Monarch and the Star, the pattern and fit would be the same. I do not have a Monarch but I am quite happy with the fit of my Star.
I realize now that the No Name contract that I had from JC was too big for me at a size 48. I am about 15 lbs. lighter now than when I ordered it. It was a beautiful jacket and I could fine absolutely no faults with it. The gentleman who picked it up (cheaply,I might add) on Ebay is absolutely thrilled with it...so there is room for all of us.
To us Americans, some of this might seem familiar as the old endless argument of whether a Chevy or Ford pickup is the best.....it no longer matters if it ever did. They both are just trucks and the money spent on them is just a tool to get what you need. Try to lighten up Mr. Makumbe for your own good as it is unhealthy to obsess over these things when it means so little if you don't enjoy it as a mere hobby. Duke

A

Anonymous

Try to lighten up Mr. Makumbe for your own good as it is unhealthy to obsess over these things when it means so little if you don't enjoy it as a mere hobby. Duke

The obsession is one of my FUN things in life- just as being "big and bad" behind the keyboard is FUN for me also...

ausreenactor

My intent with regard to the Smooth Horsehide comment was to relay my preference for reproductions of WWII Horsehide jackets to be constructed of Horsehide. I thought that would have been 'tick in the box' number one for an esteemed critic such as yourself. Or does this not concern you? I, like many others on the forum, log on to get a broad overview of the MANY opinions on such a broad topic. I would prefer not to search through pages of 'witty banter' for much appreciated responses to my posts from forum members. I appreciate your dedication to the perfection of the reproduction A-2. Maybe you should produce an electronic soft copy reference book on the matter? This could focus your knowledge and attention to detail for all to share. And "whatever dude"? Are you fifteen?

A

Anonymous

aus...whatever:
My intent with regard to the Smooth Horsehide comment was to relay my preference for reproductions of WWII Horsehide jackets to be constructed of Horsehide.
Right- the new Goodwears are made with REALISTIC WW2 horsehide- that cowhide (while still available I assume) was last year's leather because John hadn't sourced horsehide. As far as SMOOTH horsehide- this has been the bane of WW2 A-2 repros since Eastman and the Japanese started using it in the 90's. Smooth sucks IMO for realistic reproductions of A-2s. Smooth? whatever dude...

DJS48

I have a circa 1991 ELC house A-2 that is quite grainy as opposed to later ELC A-2's. In addition, I have an original Bronco that is very grainy except for both sleeves, which are very smooth. As "we" all know, there is a wide variation in these jackets albiet reproduction or original. Therefore, it's one's warm and fuzzy level about a given jacket that is the most important. I have ELC, Aero, Avirex and RMNZ. Except for the Avirex, I have been generally satisfied with the other jacket makers. However, eventually I hope to buy a GW as logical progression (for me) in the quest.

Regards,
Don

ausreenactor

I apologise, I mistakenly thought you had a non-horsehide Good Wear A-2. While the smooth A2 does start out smooth, they do and have developed creases and wear. Around my frame. Making for one hell of a fit. This is how a brand new jacket would have developed wear and tear back in the day. I wish someone just photographed a load of two or three year old A-2's in 1946 and gave us something to use as the finite benchmark. That is the look I would assume everyone is after??

A

Anonymous

ausreenactor said:
I apologise, I mistakenly thought you had a non-horsehide Good Wear A-2. While the smooth A2 does start out smooth, they do and have developed creases and wear. Around my frame. Making for one hell of a fit. This is how a brand new jacket would have developed wear and tear back in the day. I wish someone just photographed a load of two or three year old A-2's in 1946 and gave us something to use as the finite benchmark. That is the look I would assume everyone is after??

God- this could go on forever- Horween horsehide like that used by GW has innate grain- like a WW2 jacket- not pressed in there by machine and not overtly hard and smooth like ALL the horsehide Eastmans I've had. I do get the feeling they saw the writing on the wall with their "warhorse" and "50 cal." but for me it's too little too late and that still doesn't fix the pattern and detail problems. People did photograph A-2s throughout the war- period photos are a great resource. They don't show much smooth leather- and in closeups you can almost always see grain. I think you guys are finally getting to me- if you really can't see what I'm talking about I give up- be happy with your almost-rans...

Grant

Sorry ol rooster, some of us just don't agree with you. I've seen plenty of period photos (and own a nice little collection of original vintage prints) of A-2s that were baby butt smooth, others that were partly grainy, and others that were gnarly grainy. Once again there are no absolutes in this crazy obsession of ours.

BTW, that cool photo you posted reminds me how much my ELC Cable drapes almost the same.

A

Anonymous

Grant said:
Sorry ol rooster, some of us just don't agree with you. I've seen plenty of period photos (and own a nice little collection of original vintage prints) of A-2s that were baby butt smooth, others that were partly grainy, and others that were gnarly grainy. Once again there are no absolutes in this crazy obsession of ours.

BTW, that cool photo you posted reminds me how much my ELC Cable drapes almost the same.
I doubt you've ever seen an original A-2 that was as smooth as a 2001 Eastman 1401p- the closest I've seen is the Security Togs A-2 in the McGuire book. Smooth even straight bland boring soulless... I think I'm in the situation of trying to explain art to someone- it can't be done- if you can't see it you just can't- so be happy to settle- no need for perfection when it isn't an issue to you...

Smooth even boring straight soulless:
ELCcab_pock2-1.jpg

Grant

Lol! I don't have to look at pictures in books. I'm lucky to have quite a few collector friends so I can examine originals as well as the number I own. This goes for original A-2's as well as vintage civilian leather work jackets from the 1930's - 1950's.
Like you, I'm all for perfection in a repro, but once again there are no absolutes, no matter how much you pontificate.

A

Anonymous

Grant said:
Lol! I don't have to look at pictures in books. I'm lucky to have quite a few collector friends so I can examine originals as well as the number I own. This goes for original A-2's as well as vintage civilian leather work jackets from the 1930's - 1950's.
Like you, I'm all for perfection in a repro, but once again there are no absolutes, no matter how much you pontificate.
See- that's what makes me wonder- if you examined originals surely you've seen the issues I'm talking about. There are some absolutes which do make some of the characteristics of Eastmans and other repros MISTAKES (like that pesky windflap/collar/zipper intersection or the seam allowance problem or the glued arm seams or the pocket spacing or the too large arm holes or the weird collar or...) well, you get the idea. Look at the detail photos on the Goodwear site, then the Eastman site and take out your Suit Up and compare. Maybe you'll get an inkling. If however you really do have all this A-2 experience and still can't see of what I speak maybe you're hopeless...

Grant

Wow, you're hopelessly mired in your own self importance.
BTW, Suit Up! is one of thee worst printing jobs ever done. The colors and contrasts are so off compared to the originals it's laughable. You gotta get out of you basement and away from your keyboard and start looking at originals in the flesh.
This is my last posting on your ever so boring diatribe.

Looking forward to your next GW jacket on ebay... lol

Hopeless... :)