• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Star Sportswear VS. ELC Monarch fit...

ausreenactor

Gents...

Was chasing opinions of the fit of the ELC Star and Monarch. Had a Star in 42 and the opportunity has come
up to secure a Monarch in the same size. While the 42 Star was good in the shoulders the body was a bit 'blousy' on me. Is there a consensus on which would offer a slimmer fit in the body? I think if the Star is the slimmer, I might be pushing it uphill. I have the three ELC 40's at present Russet House, RW 1401-P and RW 27752. And all fit well. Any opinions valued and appreciated.

Regards...

Couchy

C.J.

I was on the phone with Charles at HPA just a few days ago. During our talk, the Star came up. He stated that it and the Monarch have the same type of "loose" fit. I've owned a Monarch and it's cut was pretty generous for it's size.

better duck

I have an ELC Star in 46, and in another thread I started (here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=118 ) I commented on it being very 'roomy' in the chest, so much so, that after I had personolised the just purchased jacket with a squadron patch (bit late ...) I had the sinking feeling that I should have gone for a size 44. That this is not so I can testify to, after having tried on a ELC Star size 44 at the Flying Legends show on July 12. Size 44 fits (just) but I can't move my arms anymore. So a roomy size 46 it is then. The leather is thin-ish, which, together with the blousy fit, makes for a very comfortable jacket - and it still looks good IMO. Here's a picture of me wearing at Duxford the other day:
IMG_3522.jpg

I wouldn't go any roomier, if I were you.
ELC's Werber makes for a very good, tight but comfortable fit, and is a beautiful jacket too!

better duck said:
I have an ELC Star in 46, and in another thread I started (here's the link: http://vintageleatherjackets.org/viewto ... ?f=8&t=118 ) I commented on it being very 'roomy' in the chest, so much so, that after I had personolised the just purchased jacket with a squadron patch (bit late ...) I had the sinking feeling that I should have gone for a size 44. That this is not so I can testify to, after having tried on a ELC Star size 44 at the Flying Legends show on July 12. Size 44 fits (just) but I can't move my arms anymore. So a roomy size 46 it is then. The leather is thin-ish, which, together with the blousy fit, makes for a very comfortable jacket - and it still looks good IMO. Here's a picture of me wearing at Duxford the other day:
IMG_3522.jpg

I wouldn't go any roomier, if I were you.
ELC's Werber makes for a very good, tight but comfortable fit, and is a beautiful jacket too!

That's a great looking jacket Peter. I like those Stars.

greyhound52

I have owned both ELC Star and Monarch and did not see much difference in the fit of either both were 42s. I think you would have the same issue with the Monarch that you would with the Star.

TankBuster

The ELC Star and Monarch are cut from the same pattern. There is no difference between the way
the 2 jackets fit. This is what Charles at HPA told me when I bought my Monarch.

Tim P

CJ, if you check your emails you will recognise the guy on the right in his Dubow from Mccoys. ;)

so as i read it (and I have a vested interest in knowing this), a monarch 44 will fit just like a Star 44?

Hawkeye

TankBuster said:
The ELC Star and Monarch are cut from the same pattern. There is no difference between the way
the 2 jackets fit. This is what Charles at HPA told me when I bought my Monarch.

So I take it that Eastman uses the same pattern for alot of their jackets, and simply change some of the details, pocket flaps, collars, etc?

Tim P

I doubt that because after a try on session at Duxford I was surprised at the fit variation.
however, how much can one jacket in one size vary from another? I accept that there are differences but they are finite.

C.J.

Tim P said:
CJ, if you check your emails you will recognise the guy on the right in his Dubow from Mccoys. ;)

so as i read it (and I have a vested interest in knowing this), a monarch 44 will fit just like a Star 44?

Very, very nice. Now I see why you're not getting rid of it.

C.J.

Tim P said:

Tim,
I spoke to Charles at HPA just the other day and he said just that. According to him, the Star and Monarch have the same type of fit.

TankBuster

Yes, they only use 2 patterns for their jackets. The Star, Monarch, and I believe the
cable are one pattern. The rest of their jackets use the other pattern. They just change up the collar,pocket flaps, ect. It keeps them running quickly to meet consumer demand. Again
according to Charles. I was suprised that is how they did it, but I guess it keeps things
simple for the customers.

rich

I put a similar question to ELC too, thinking there would be variance in sizing and here's the reply I received....

Thanks for your enquiry.

From what you say in your email, it seems you are size 42, not 44. Any of A-2s in this size should be appropriate for you. Although the fit varies slightly between each of the original makers, they aren't so different that they affect size (apart from perhaps the Werber 1729 - this is the closest fitting of them all, and some customers find they need to go up a size in this one). So it's just a question of taking your pick really.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
Gary Eastman

On the basis of that, it seems they are all of a muchness, which from my POV is probably a good thing?!?!?

Falcon_52

TankBuster said:
Yes, they only use 2 patterns for their jackets. The Star, Monarch, and I believe the
cable are one pattern. The rest of their jackets use the other pattern. They just change up the collar,pocket flaps, ect. It keeps them running quickly to meet consumer demand. Again
according to Charles. I was suprised that is how they did it, but I guess it keeps things
simple for the customers.

I think this proves Rotenhahn's point about Good Wear jackets' authenticity - there is a unique pattern for each jacket rather than just changing the collar and pocket flaps to look like the original contract.

Don't get me wrong, I like Eastman's jackets very much but this illustrates the extra painstaking effort that John Chapman goes through to make his jackets fit just like the original makers.

Noel

Chandler

TankBuster said:
They just change up the collar,pocket flaps, ect. It keeps them running quickly to meet consumer demand. Again
according to Charles.

Is this a process that ELC has adopted in the last few years or so? I've talked with Charles in the past and he's spoken of the direct copying of the various maker patterns ELC produces, not a base shell with add-ons. In fact, if you look at the Star compared with the Rough Wear patterns you can see how the sleeves attach differently to the body (or did, a few years ago). Marc Weinshenker talks about this difference in pattern at Acme as well.

Also, having a Star and RW from ELC, I can say that they're definitely 2 different patterns and fit completely different-- again, from a few years ago.

Chandler

Tim P

they are not, from my experience, a homogenised body with maker specific trim details. I htink they do go to some lengths to get the cut right. A compromise to suit todays physique can be excused if it happens (my big aero was pleasantly blousey on me so this was a feature of some ww2 jackets) Without detracting from GW ( before this thread becomes an echo of all the others that gravitate that way) I hardly think that ELC can be deemed to be also rans on the basis that some of their contracts fit similarly through the torso.

Swing

From what I can tell, the Monarch and Star are the same body and sleeve. Differences come at the collar, pockets, etc.

All the RW jackets are the same pattern, and I'd assume the Cable and house jackets follow basically the same body pattern as the RWs and that the Werber is pretty close to the RW too.

~Swing

TankBuster

Chandler,
The Star and Roughwear are different patterns as I stated in my post. The Star/Monarch/(and Cable?) are
cut from the same pattern. The others except the Werber use another pattern. This was straight from Charles
at HPA about a year and a half ago. Just give him a call and ask him. I tried on a Star 42 and a Monarch 42
at the Mustangs and Legends show last fall as well. There is no difference. They do this to make sizing choices
for their customers easy, and it speeds up their production time. It was great to get to the ELC tent and try on
any jacket that ELC makes. After trying the B-6, I decided I have to get one at some point. It's a great jacket