• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Perry B-3

stanier

Much as I try, I can't get the idea of a decent mixed batch B-3 out my head. I'd love an ELC Perry in likely a size 40 and I'm just looking for others recent experiences. I don't want "broken grain" shipskin that looks so dried out it makes the surface of Mars look moist (and I actually would like a bit of sheen), and I'd like the straps to be a wwii thickness, not thinner, and whilst I get that the cuffs may thin eventually, I don't want them all round bald within a couple of weeks of gentle wear to the pub. Anyone had one recently? (and I do know its August!)

And if you have a one you might want to sell that's gently worn, and might reasonably address my points above please get in touch. A bit of extra wear to loosen it up might be very welcome!

I dont mind the price of a new one from ELC, or another maker, I just want it right. If someone can recommend another high end repro maker that might fit my desire please raise.

Cheers

B-Man2

Stan
I had a couple of them but they were size 46. II’ll post a few photos of the one that I sold and you can use them as a reference for things you’re OK with and things your not.
Hope it helps out
Cheers :)
27175C34-8288-42AD-B989-C52589AF8D37.jpeg
DAD8B91E-C7A3-4CC8-B952-9A6EC9A44244.jpeg
9F8B5CE8-F929-4AC6-B60C-6E58F23B441D.jpeg
0CE8949D-12B9-4D89-A5AC-DD09B35CD01D.jpeg
F22EB62E-99A1-4F0D-9E9F-7B6058710791.jpeg
1ED3112F-B97A-4E17-A9F8-341CB5FF58D3.jpeg
04652170-D648-43DA-8B51-89E779C24D97.jpeg
2BB7BA0D-6F80-4DB8-B53B-7FFC6FC228B4.jpeg
CAC55681-E7F5-4158-96A0-60533D774112.jpeg
0F9C70A8-492F-4E73-98EF-241B95FCB5DF.jpeg

Last edited:

stanier

And the cuffs look nice and up and fluffy. I had an ELC Roughwear redskin B-3 a few years ago but much as I liked it, the cuffs started losing considerable fleece, and the shearling was so stiff it was making the issue worse. I lost weight and it felt too big and I sold it in the end.

B-Man2

Stan
For some reason a few ELC B-3s were losing fleece at the cuffs in very short order . I remember a thread on that subject a while back . Someone sent back their B-3 that was only a couple of months old due to that problem. ELC made good on the deal, but then a few others turned up with the same problem. Having said that, I haven’t seen or heard of one doing that in the last few years. I think you’re right in your choice of this contract, it’s really one of the more distinctive B-3s . I still have the other one and get some great compliments and questions about it when I wear it. Unfortunately I have to get out of Florida and way up north or the northwest to wear it.

mulceber

Thanks for starting this thread, Stanier. That ELC mixed batch is one of my favorites as well. Such an idiosyncratic contract, but with the right mix of seal and russet panels, like Eastman has, you get a really nice looking jacket. And it provides you with a great story to tell any time someone asks why your jacket looks that way! :D

stanier

Did you do something to bring the shine out on your jacket B-man2? It sure looks lovely. I seem to recall John Lever talking of a method involving a Kiwi shoe shine product to bring out the shine in the leather part of the shearling.

B-Man2

Did you do something to bring the shine out on your jacket B-man2? It sure looks lovely. I seem to recall John Lever talking of a method involving a Kiwi shoe shine product to bring out the shine in the leather part of the shearling.
Stan
I never did anything to enhance the finish of either B-3 I owned . I hope you don’t mind if I show you another photo of both of them together and you can see that the shine is a product of the way the hides are being finished . My concern is that maybe they are being finished with an acrylic top coat like the WWII jackets . That didn’t work out well for them in the long term, and if that’s the case Im sure it won’t work out well for these either.
485E7112-EDF7-49DC-88C3-6C5A41BFC529.jpeg
C91E474B-1E9B-46C8-9504-484C8DEAC8F1.jpeg

stanier

I know we've all talked about the practicality of a B-3 for those if us that don't spend months in sub-zero temperatures, but for me during the winter months its actually a quite practical jacket on at least two fronts.

One is, that although I live in reasonably mild Bedfordshire, I am actually from the much less mild Peak District of England, so visiting my home town can often make good use of a B-3!

And two, I'm happy to say that, in happier and non-Covid times the main destination for my jacket wearing is pubs, bars, restaurants and music events. And whilst it maybe cold outside all these venues usually have much warmer interiors. So the jacket keeps me warm outside with just a shirt underneath and just take the jacket off to be cool inside, without stripping off layers or being overly warm.

Or am I just convincing myself? :D

stanier

Stan
I never did anything to enhance the finish of either B-3 I owned . I hope you don’t mind if I show you another photo of both of them together and you can see that the shine is a product of the way the hides are being finished . My concern is that maybe they are being finished with an acrylic top coat like the WWII jackets . That didn’t work out well for them in the long term, and if that’s the case Im sure it won’t work out well for these either.
View attachment 42197View attachment 42198

How could I mind B-Man2? Your pics are lovely and hugely appreciated!

Is it me or is the bottom one slightly shinier with slightly more creamy and lighter shade wool?

B-Man2

I know we've all talked about the practicality of a B-3 for those if us that don't spend months in sub-zero temperatures, but for me during the winter months its actually a quite practical jacket on at least two fronts.

One is, that although I live in reasonably mild Bedfordshire, I am actually from the much less mild Peak District of England, so visiting my home town can often make good use of a B-3!

And two, I'm happy to say that, in happier and non-Covid times the main destination for my jacket wearing is pubs, bars, restaurants and music events. And whilst it maybe cold outside all these venues usually have much warmer interiors. So the jacket keeps me warm outside with just a shirt underneath and just take the jacket off to be cool inside, without stripping off layers or being overly warm.

Or am I just convincing myself? :D
Stan
I love the Irvin’s and B-3s but I have to tell you buddy that going into a bar , pub , restaurant etc they are a pain in the ass. They have to be taken off and stored some place and they are thick and bulky . You can’t walk around and leave the jacket for fear it will be gone when you get back so you have to stay close to it or take it with you. If you’re in a crowd you stand out like the Michelin tire logo. It’s not a user friendly jacket anywhere in those types of places BUT...... you will be the coolest looking guy in the place !!

Lord Flashheart

I think with Covid we really could all be spending more time out in the fresh air through the winter months even "at the pub" so you're not just convincing yourself here. Whats the view on Aero's B-3's in comparison?

B-Man2

How could I mind B-Man2? Your pics are lovely and hugely appreciated!

Is it me or is the bottom one slightly shinier with slightly more creamy and lighter shade wool?
Thanks for the kind words Stan
The difference in the shine is a result of the kitchen light reflecting off the jacket I was standing closest to.

stanier

btw, I totally get the coating point, although I do like the originality. I'd like to think that they've improved the formula in the last 80 years and the polyacrylate whatever it is effect isn't disastrous in the long term. But if not and the result is the same I suppose at my age its unlikely I'll be bothered when I'm 140 plus years old :D and I can look down on my grandchildren knowing I left them an absorbing hobby, a forum of like minded souls and the perennial question- why did grandad leave me this beautiful jacket that's falling apart and fit for display only?:D;)