• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC or Aero D-1 ?

gav

I got my D-1 at the pop up. I looked at an Aero at the time and preferred the ELC.
The problem I have with Aero is the overly fluffy fleece that is 3/8- 1/2 inch thick making it almost B-3 level useless for most of the winter in SE England. The 1/4 inch fleece in the ELC makes it wearable - I have been using mine with a sweatshirt or flannel underneath since the pop up.
if you can get Aero to make one with the proper fleece length or you need the extra warmth then maybe.... otherwise- No good to me in this mild climate.

crism1

I dont think fluffiness is a major factor in terms of heating. Most likely the fluffy fleece is a fleece that is new and a thinner one is one that is well broken in.

gav

I dont think fluffiness is a major factor in terms of heating. Most likely the fluffy fleece is a fleece that is new and a thinner one is one that is well broken in.
No that is wrong. Sorry. Warmth has a lot to do with fleece length and Aero use longer fleece in the D-1 than ELC. I have tried 2 b-3s with longer fleece. Too hot. My brand new D-1 with 1/4 inch fleece is comfortable even on the heated train journey. Something I couldn’t contemplate in a b-3.

crism1

I wasnt talking about lenght but about fluffiness. D1 and B3 cant be compared cause the fleece in the B3 is way much heavier

stanier

The Aero fleece is longer and will be warmer, no doubt about that. As I recall Aero justify the extra length as original D-1’s today have about 1/4” then after 70 years wear they would have started with longer fleece. I can’t comment one way or the other about that, but the Aero leathers look very nice, particularly the red skin, and maybe a chat with Ken if you wanted the 1/4” would produce a jacket with that length fleece.

Btw, don’t decry the B-3 too much as being too warm. They’re great for very cold days with a warm destination as you can just wear a t shirt and still be warm. And you can’t beat the lovely rush of warm air over your hands when you bend your arm in a B-3...

gav

The Aero fleece is longer and will be warmer, no doubt about that. As I recall Aero justify the extra length as original D-1’s today have about 1/4” then after 70 years wear they would have started with longer fleece. I can’t comment one way or the other about that, but the Aero leathers look very nice, particularly the red skin, and maybe a chat with Ken if you wanted the 1/4” would produce a jacket with that length fleece.

Btw, don’t decry the B-3 too much as being too warm. They’re great for very cold days with a warm destination as you can just wear a t shirt and still be warm. And you can’t beat the lovely rush of warm air over your hands when you bend your arm in a B-3...
Yep agreed. That is what read on the aero site too and I was very tempted - the red skin is lovely. The shorter fleece of an ELC D-1 makes a lot more sense for me though.
I tried a B-3 for two winters and simply found it useless in this climate for my lifestyle. I was gutted because I really love the look.

Southoftheborder

No that is wrong. Sorry. Warmth has a lot to do with fleece length and Aero use longer fleece in the D-1 than ELC. I have tried 2 b-3s with longer fleece. Too hot. My brand new D-1 with 1/4 inch fleece is comfortable even on the heated train journey. Something I couldn’t contemplate in a b-3.

I suppose it depends where and how you wear it. Most people living in cities these days move from overheated homes to well heated cars or public transport and many are hardly in the cold for any length of time anyway. Personally I would take a sheepskin jacket off if I was in a heated train or anywhere indoors that was heated.

I live in the country and like to wear warm clothing when I go into a local town as I usually have to walk a fair way from the car parking. I have a D1 with correct 1/4 inch fleece and it's fine with a few layers when it's cold. But not so fine if it's really cold with a bitter north wind. Then my B6 with 15mm none original spec fleece is much better.

I've had plenty of other sheepskin coats over the years and the only one which I thought was a bit too warm most of the time in my mostly mild climate was an ELC Irvin. That had 17mm fleece as I remember and I could only wear it in very cold weather.

gav

I suppose it depends where and how you wear it. Most people living in cities these days move from overheated homes to well heated cars or public transport and many are hardly in the cold for any length of time anyway. Personally I would take a sheepskin jacket off if I was in a heated train or anywhere indoors that was heated.

precisely:

.....The shorter fleece of an ELC D-1 makes a lot more sense for me though.
I tried a B-3 for two winters and simply found it useless in this climate for my lifestyle. I was gutted because I really love the look.

taking your jacket off on a busy commuter train - yeah nice idea

Southoftheborder

precisely:

taking your jacket off on a busy commuter train - yeah nice idea

Well, if it's a packed commuter train maybe not. But if I went to work on one of those I don't think I'd wear a sheepskin jacket anyway. Still each to his own eh?

crism1

Another truculent/argumentative “new” member.... what are the odds...?

Well, I clearly wrote "I don't think" which doesn't mean I have to be right, but rather an opinion based on my deductions (wrong or right they may be). I'm here to learn and accept more than willingly from you guys more knowledgeable than me. But thanks for being an ass just because I have 30 posts, now I do know that being a regular doesn't make you any smarter or polite