• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC new sky high release!

B-Man2

Interesting article.
They look like Danner Boots .
I’ve worn these and have so for years . They have surpassed all of my expectations. If you’re on your feet all day and moving through rough terrain over long distances . Nothing beats these boots .
06F6B4B6-C7E9-4F44-AB29-C8CBDC19FFD1.png

Last edited:

Chandler

They look like Danner Boots .
I’ve worn these and have so for years . They have surpassed all of my expectations.
I was going to say the same -- that they look like the Danner lace-to-toe style.

I have a pair of Explorers -- same design as the Recon, but shorter and brown leather. At least 10 years old, on their second resole. Still the sturdiest boots I have for hiking.

Last edited:

ZuZu

Eastman do seem to be hated here. Shame imo.

Eastman isn't hated by me. But I do think Eastman G-1 type, A-2s. B-3s and other repros have a lot of flaws- like Aero of Scotland's flaws some are little things which could easily be corrected but there is a stubborn resistance to change. Others of these flaws are systemic to the brand and would take a whole overhaul of patterns to fix. And Eastman is waaaaay too expensive for what you end up getting- they seem to have a happy clientele but they are not worth the price. IMO

Smithy

Eastman isn't hated by me. But I do think Eastman G-1 type, A-2s. B-3s and other repros have a lot of flaws- like Aero of Scotland's flaws some are little things which could easily be corrected but there is a stubborn resistance to change. Others of these flaws are systemic to the brand and would take a whole overhaul of patterns to fix. And Eastman is waaaaay too expensive for what you end up getting- they seem to have a happy clientele but they are not worth the price. IMO

Couldn't agree more Jeff. Nice jackets but all their clobber is overpriced for what they are now and what you get.

I'd much rather throw that kind of money John's way - simply lovely guy, ultimate attention to detail, and made to measure.

Each to their own but that's why I'm spending well over a grand on a GW and not an ELC.

And if I ever want another US flight jacket it'll always be GW over ELC.

johnwayne

When I kicked off this thread it certainly wasn’t intended as anti ELC - far from it I really like their gear, always went to and often bought from their marquee at Duxford airshow but just cannot understand how, no matter how good they are, paying that much for boots. A good leather jacket looked after will last a lifetime and beyond as originals prove but boots wear out and repairing them don’t come cheap either - £300 Redwings are £100+ to re-sole!!! All that aside, even if money was no object I just wouldn’t pay that sort of money. But, you pay your money you take your choice, as the saying goes. No disrespect to ELC.

écrivain

This doesn't make sense. A reproduction costing so much more than a nice wearable original? I've had quite a few originals over the years (bought from some well known members I'm sure), and still have four A2 Jackets today. Two GW, a Perry and a 39 Werber (Both in the region of £275 when I bought them) and a couple of originals costing about the same. My 42 Dubow is perfectly wearable with just a tiny nick out of the tape on the zipper that sometimes pops open, and an unknown maker that has been relined with new knits, but is a bit scruffy and quite heavily worn around the upper-arm but still a wearer.
These reproduction makers will soon price themselves out of the enthusiats' market, and then it'll just be wealthy Chinese students and people who think RR-alph Lauren is just too down-market who buy them. The Real McCoy and their appointment policy says it all. But, if your chosen jacket is a G1 you can easily find almost new G1 jackets for upwards of £200. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a really beautiful Martin Lane a few years ago.
Apologies for my first actual post here. Happy New Year wishes to everyone.

entertainment

i have owned three ELC jackets. One is the Werber A-2 that Micawber now owns with an incorrectly installed zipper that's fraying. One is an Irvin that John L said he wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole (or something along those lines). I have to say that I would never buy another jacket from ELC. I do own an A-!. It is pretty nice, but the leather lacks a certain amount of character--perhaps that will come with more wear. But I have had lots of dealings with John Lofgren when he owned Speedway Shop and sold directly from Japan. I bought several shirts from him. He was always great to deal with and the quality was stellar. I have tried on his engineer boots at Self Edge in NYC. The quality was excellent, but the price was too high for me. But for the quality, I think the price was probably justified. I could just not justify the price for myself.

johnwayne

Having read that Built mag article, surprised that Gary Eastman being an ex compositor (like me) didn’t spot those typo’s! Also I’ve just been reading the Dec edition of GQ and decided the pricey boots and ELC is maybe not so pricey after all - really dopey high prices (and even dopier looking models) throughout, however, AVI do get a small mention on the Lookbook page stating ‘quality craftsmanship at affordable prices’!!