• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC is doing better than some may think

Smithy

Agree, things are a characature of reality. Still look nice though ;)

They're beautifully made but some of the leather now is especially starting to look like a pastiche as I said above, an over-exaggeration. The easiest way I can put it is that the more I think about it the more is seems they are going for a kind of Romain Hugault approach to jacket making, being more concerned with an idea and a flavour than specifics.

crism1

Damn it, I reserved an ELC house A2 from a stockist and now you guys are kinda demolishing all the hype ☹

Lorenzo_l

I've actually been wondering what with all the price hikes to capture the Far East market and their increased focus on that whether Gary now doesn't really feel like going further in terms of accuracy. As a brand they seem to be now creating this idea of what 1940s Americana was without being 100% accurate to it - this kind of daydream of the US in the 1940s. You can see that in that new leather they sent to Officer Dibley and that he posted here a few months back, the stuff that I said looked like the leather on my grandparents' antique furniture. The funny thing was it doesn't look like an A-2 from the 40s, it was far, far too grainy, and did look like old furniture leather. I'm starting to wonder whether all of this is part of this playing to an idea of the past rather than to what it actually was.

In the past decade and a bit a lot of the punters talking about and buying ELC military jackets here and over at the Salon du Chapeau were WWII flying jacket nuts and the associated WWII enthusiasts and reenactors, guys where accuracy was a priority that came pretty high up the ladder. I'm starting to wonder now whether in Asia accuracy is of such paramount importance or rather whether this idea of something that could have come from the period (even if it necessarily didn't) is more important. A pastiche rather than a hyper-real copy.

That makes sense. By catering to the far east market and China in particular, a more liberal approach, even a somewhat fantastic idea of American militaria can be exercised without alienating a fan base, such as that in Europe and the USA, that is more familiar with the details and specificities of American militaria (in particular, the detail-obsessed crew that frequents this forum's pages!). That approach, and taking liberties on details such as overdone hides would probably not work here, but in the case of a customer base not necessarily well-versed on the theme, well, you can get away with more.

Last edited:

Officer Dibley

They're beautifully made but some of the leather now is especially starting to look like a pastiche as I said above, an over-exaggeration. The easiest way I can put it is that the more I think about it the more is seems they are going for a kind of Romain Hugault approach to jacket making, being more concerned with an idea and a flavour than specifics.

The difference between fashionistas & authenticity driven collectors Tim !

foster

Damn it, I reserved an ELC house A2 from a stockist and now you guys are kinda demolishing all the hype ☹
Sorry about that. The jackets are still good ones, and the details may not matter to you as they did to me.

I really liked the hide of the last ELC A-2 I owned, but I was not a big fan of the clearcoat that seemed to be applied to it. I got plenty of compliments, but I still knew where it was a bit off, and decided to sell it along to someone that liked it as it was.

crism1

Sorry about that. The jackets are still good ones, and the details may not matter to you as they did to me.

I really liked the hide of the last ELC A-2 I owned, but I was not a big fan of the clearcoat that seemed to be applied to it. I got plenty of compliments, but I still knew where it was a bit off, and decided to sell it along to someone that liked it as it was.

Before reserving the jacket I didn't even know what "house" ELC meant. For some reason the information slipped away but the price was so nice (that was the catch?) I couldnt pass. Oh well ☹

Smithy

That makes sense. By catering to the far east market and China in particular, a more liberal approach, even a somewhat fantastic idea of American militaria can be exercised without alienating a fan base, such as that in Europe and the USA, that is more familiar with the details and specificities of American militaria (in particular, the details obsessed crew that frequents this forum's pages!). That approach, and taking liberties on details such as overdone hides would probably not work here, but in the case of a customer base not necessarily well-versed on the theme, well, you can get away with more.

Bang on Lorenzo you got it in one ;-)

I might be wrong but I spent many years working in advertising and business development (before I escaped) and what they are doing screams of shifting to a new market dynamic.

Smithy

Before reserving the jacket I didn't even know what "house" ELC meant. For some reason the information slipped away but the price was so nice (that was the catch?) I couldnt pass. Oh well ☹

Sorry as well. Depends what you are after and what you are willing to pay. ELC make good jackets, we're just talking about how with their market shift they seem to be moving things to a different and less hyper-realistic market with their newer jackets.

ZuZu

No "Oh well"! You made the right decision- I think in the long run an ELC house jacket is better- it doesn't have to live up to an original!

Bombing IP

No "Oh well"! You made the right decision- I think in the long run an ELC house jacket is better- it doesn't have to live up to an original!

Plus it does not have the clown collars that Eastman seem to love ,more than enough reason to go with a house version .Me I would of bought 2 Platon Dubows instead of the fictional ELC house jacket .Better Jacket cut leather accuracy and you have one in each leather .

Jeff

Bombing IP

We are just stating the facts sir ,I see no hype with an ELC A-2 type House jacket ? .Its a Heinz 57 jacket styled that way because its easier to make ,nothing to do with USAAF or WWII but I am sure you know this ! .

Jeff

Bombing IP

Heinz 57 (variety) A phrase used to describe anything that is made up of a mixture of things. The phrase refers to an advertising slogan for the H.J. Heinz Company's 57 varieties of pickles.

Jeff

crism1

Heinz 57 (variety) A phrase used to describe anything that is made up of a mixture of things. The phrase refers to an advertising slogan for the H.J. Heinz Company's 57 varieties of pickles.

Jeff

I personally don't mind the idea of someone trying to propose what heir contract would've been like, my main concern is more about the respect of the landmarks that make an A-2 and A-2 and the build quality

Bombing IP

I personally don't mind the idea of someone trying to propose what heir contract would've been like, my main concern is more about the respect of the landmarks that make an A-2 and A-2 and the build quality

The jackets are fully covered aspect wise with regards to build excluding the wool knits ,with regards to respect of your wallet ELC is about gouging , money money and more money . There are much better options out here in my opinion ,but its your money and you choice as you earned it .

JEFF

crism1

The jackets are fully covered aspect wise with regards to build excluding the wool knits ,with regards to respect of your wallet ELC is about gouging , money money and more money . There are much better options out here in my opinion ,but its your money and you choice as you earned it .

JEFF

Totally agree, I'm definitely not a fan of their economy choices either. I got tempted mostly because the jacket was around 650€, which is still in the acceptable range I guess