• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Irvin measurements?

Hawkeye

I wonder if anyone with a size 42, 44, 46, ELC Irvin would be kind enough to post the following measurements: collar seam to bottom, shoulder seam to shoulder seam, shoulder seam to end of cuff and armpit to armpit? Thank you!

jack31916

Measurements from an ELC Irvin 1940 Pattern Irvin, Size 46:

Collarseam to bottom (end): 66 cm.

Shoulderseam to end of cuff: 66 cm.

Shoulderseam to shoulderseam: 52 cm.

Armpit to armpit: 84 cm.

Regards,

Jack

Swing

jack31916 said:
Measurements from an ELC Irvin 1940 Pattern Irvin, Size 46:

Armpit to armpit: 84 cm.

That's 66 inches. Do these run big? I had a size 50 B-3, and IIRC, it measured a little over 60".

~Swing

Geir

I have two ELC Irvins: A 1944 multipanel, made from sheepskin used for the 1940 model (46), which I bought from the Reissue Depot last year and a 1942 (44) which I bought this year. I've taken the measurements by laying the jacket on the floor and using a ruler not a tape measure.

The 1942 has the following measurements:
Collar seam to bottom: 24"
Shoulder seam to end of cuff: 24 1/2"
Armpit to armpit: 25 1/2"
Shoulder seam to shoulder seam: 21"
Down the front (zipper length): 21 1/2"
Across the bottom: 22 1/2"

The 1944 has these measurements:
Collar seam to bottom: 25"
Shoulder seam to end of cuff: 25"
Armpit to armpit: 26"
Shoulder seam to shoulder seam: 21 3/4"
Down the front (zipper length): 22 1/2"
Across the bottom: 24"

The sleeves are longer when you put the jacket on than the measurements would seem to indicate and the 46 is a full size bigger even if it would not appear to be that way.
By the way, both are excellent jackets!

Hawkeye

thank you guys for the measurements, its starting to look like I might need a 42 Long size...anyone out there have a size 42 Irvin to measure?

And another question, how much of the chest measurement is affected by the thickness of the sheepskin? It kind of seems to me that the chest sizes are much larger than the tagged sizes. My chest size is about 40.5 inches, would the 42 or 44 be best for my needs?

jacketimp

why not ask mr eastman himself?

who knows the latest elc may have differnet measurements.........you looking at current or past models?

Hawkeye

I shot off an inquiry to Gary a few hours ago, but I dont really expect an answer for at least a day, besides, no harm in asking the guys who wear them daily. :) Im looking at the 1940 model jacket. I previously was going to get the 42 model, simply because it was cheaper, but I figured if I'm already spending 900 bucks, an extra hundred for the (in my opinion) nicer looking jacket isnt a big deal.

jacketimp

Hawkeye said:
I shot off an inquiry to Gary a few hours ago, but I dont really expect an answer for at least a day, besides, no harm in asking the guys who wear them daily. :) Im looking at the 1940 model jacket. I previously was going to get the 42 model, simply because it was cheaper, but I figured if I'm already spending 900 bucks, an extra hundred for the (in my opinion) nicer looking jacket isnt a big deal.

gary's good with correspondence so you have a reply soon....don't forget there's the difference tine zone too......

yep no need to be a cheapo ;)

donsom

Hawkeye ... I really hope it works out for you and you get your jacket. I was initially torn between the ELC Irvin (1940) and the B-3. I still might pick up an Irvin yet. If they have to make it at ELC, and it's anything like my experience, ... it'll be around 3 weeks total (agonizing .. ;) ) wait.

Since you're in T.O., maybe when you get your Irvin we can meet for lunch some day and compare jackets ... :) . I have to occasionally be at the office down on Bay St.

Best of luck with the sale of the A-2 for funding.

Geir

Hawkeye, based on the measurements of your A2 I think a 44 ELC Irvin should fit you. IMO a sheepskin jacket should not be too tight. My Aero prewar Irvin (44) has, for some reason or other, become smaller since last winter. If I compare the fit of this jacket to my 46 Irvin, which is a size too big, the 46 actually looks better. At least in front of the mirror. It also depends on how many layers you plan to wear under the jacket.

Jamesp

I too am thinking of an ELC Irvin. A 42 pattern as my Aero Irvin is a prewar pattern.

I have had a mad idea: :idea:
I thought I would ride my1944 RAF dispatch bike to visit Eastmans in Devon. This way I could be sure in getting the size right. Then I looked at the map and it’s a 7 hour ride each way!!

May still do it if I can find some dry weather, but if I do I don’t think my girlfriend will be joining me.

James.

Hawkeye

Well afte a couple emails back and forth with Gary, he has suggested that I take a 44long size. Im fully prepared to accept this recommendation, but just to be sure I've asked him for the measurements of the 42long and 44long jackets. Im just afraid of looking like Im drowning in the jacket, in my opinion my last size 44 Irvin, a WPG, looked massive on me, although I guess the sizing between the two companys could be vastly different.
Oh, and those of you who have eastman irvins, lets see them being worn if you have pics handy! :)

donsom

What exactly does "long" mean?

Longer sleeves ... longer midriff ? More of a taper towards the waist?

Can someone please specify how and to which measurements it normally applies.

I'm just curious for future reference.

Thanks,

rich

When you see the measurements in an original's label, they don't correspond at all to real world sizing - they measure up far bigger, something to do with being worn over a battle dress or other flying kit. I don't think this is the same for repro's though - would that be right? I believe Eastman add about an inch to the jacket's length to make it a 'long', but I don't know if this applies to the sleeve length too.

Hawkeye

the long size for eastman irvins adds an inch to both the torso length, and the arm length. Theres an extra long option as well, which adds an 1 1/2 inches.

Jamesp

Hawkeye,

Good luck with your new order.
I hope you get the fit you want.

I thought better of riding on a 65 year old bike for 7 hours in the cold so picked up the phone instead. :lol:

I ordered a 42 pattern in a 42 reg. Lets hope both our jackets are a great fit!

James