• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Devon Fleece RAF Jacket in size 44

Roughwear

This a recent version of the 1944 ELC Devon Fleece Irvin and is a significant improvement on the earlier version which had very thick skins and a somewhat wiry fleece. The sheepskin is very flexible and comfortable to wear and not at all itchy! The other details have not changed. Eastman still use their Lightning style zips, which are fine, but it is a shame they don't use a Dot style puller on for the main zip, which would be more accurate with the Dot style slider bucket.

The jacket has been given the Timeworn treatment and it has not been over done. The chestnut finish to the skins is accurate. The fleece itself is identical to many wartime originals.

I have replaced the belt buckle with an original one as I find the prongs on Eastman buckles to be too thick and blunt at the end! The left hand belt loop is still placed too far away from the main zip to secure the male end of the belt which meant that I had to add an extra leather loop to the belt to stop the end of the belt from flopping around! An easy solution would be for ELC to make their jackets with longer belts.

The configuration of the panels is accurate as there were many later War jackets made in this way, but from recycled flying trousers. The label is an accurate copy of a mid to later War AM contract label.

I have been wearing this jacket quite a bit recently when not wearing my ELC Perry B-3 and really like it. These jackets are not available to buy new from Eastman until they are re-supplied with Devon fleece.

John Lever

Green with envy, to think I turned this jacket down weeks before it was on ebay.
Please could you post some shots from how the cuffs are made ? My jacket had separately sewn on cuffs.

CBI

a really super Irvin Andrew, love the time-worn treatment and it looks like loads of great details!!!!!

John Lever

I don't like the Time Worn finish and would prefer it were an option. It's not done well.
The horse hide on my Perry was superb but simple sanding the seam tapes and belt is unconvincing, it makes them look stripy. Some of the sanding marks look they have been done using 80 grit.
Ian did some a very subtle finishing on his GW A2 just by hand rubbing, it looks totally different and very convincing.

John Lever

If you look at the seams its very obvious. It's constant with little variaton and why not make the cuffs bald ? Same goes with A2 and A1jackets, why not make pulls and holes in the knits ?
Sorry the whole idea is a bad one unless it's done very well and if you have no choice then that's a drag. To do a good job would take a couple of days.
Ralph Lauren does very well on some jackets.

Roughwear

Mr Lever, You can criticise the jacket all you like here and on the FL in an attempt to persuade me to part with it, but it is not for sale. :roll:

John Lever

Roughwear said:
Mr Lever, You can criticise the jacket all you like here and on the FL in an attempt to persuade me to part with it, but it is not for sale. :roll:
Sussed ?
Ah no, I think you will be keeping it I know I would. It is a lovely jacket.Just trying to expand the thread. I really do think that honest wear is the only way to achieve the time worn look. I am not trying to denigrate Gary in any way,I just dont like the sanded look it's not for me !

FlyingYankee

John Lever said:
I don't like the Time Worn finish and would prefer it were an option. It's not done well.
The horse hide on my Perry was superb but simple sanding the seam tapes and belt is unconvincing, it makes them look stripy. Some of the sanding marks look they have been done using 80 grit.
Ian did some a very subtle finishing on his GW A2 just by hand rubbing, it looks totally different and very convincing.
I agree, I prefer to break in my jackets myself.

CBI

Of course, real wear is ideal but some folks don't want to wait that long and some of the time-worn style things look pretty good to me. Its just hard to get it "right"

to each his own.

BJR

I'd be interested to see more pictures of the current ELC Devon Fleece of anyone has any. The pictures from Roughwear do not show up.

Best,

BJR