• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC collaboration A-2 with TSPTR

SuinBruin

It's different, I'll give them that.

Click here to see more of this jacket or maybe buy it if you want to

TSPTR0968shadow.jpg

Bombing IP

What is TSPTR , I do not like the jacket as it looks like a Varsity Jacket .You cannot make perfect better !.

BIP

SuinBruin

What is TSPTR , I do not like the jacket as it looks like a Varsity Jacket .You cannot make perfect better !.

BIP
TSPTR is a British clothing manufacturer that makes a lot of throwback/vintage inspired items. They do a lot of Peanuts graphic t-shirts and the like. I like a lot of their stuff, but this is... not great. It reminds me of when Self Edge did a collab with Buzz Rickson for an indigo-dyed A-2. The A-2 is a classic of 20th century design, like the Porsche 911 or the Rolex Submariner. Trying to make it "different" is an effort doomed to fail IMO as you lose the elements that make it classic but you don't come up with anything truly new in its own right.

johnwayne

Bloody he'll that's not nice! Surprised at ELC for that given Gary's attitude to authenticity in the past and with 'elite' type repros, original maker copies etc!! Quite disappointing really I think.

taikonaut

Its the "brand power" of ELC. It would seems they are now big enough commercially to write their own rules.

Brettafett

Instead of silly collaborations... Why not make another 'special' edition A-2, but at more reasonable price. Like Platon's amazing Dubow.
Use the ELC model, but find ways to bring the costs down... Platon did it.
I am sure that'd generate tons of interest, a lot more than Frankestein's jacket above... and keep them super busy.

B-Man2

Things like this happen when a company has become so successful that they’re no longer concerned about turning out something that doesn’t resonate well with their consumer base. I’d be willing to bet that this never would have happened in the early years of ELC ‘s existence.
Secondly I have a feeling that ELC is pandering to the Japanese market these days and this is just a continuation of that decision.
Probably most of us would agree that ELC would have been better served by bringing out another contract model or bringing back contracts like their HBL or their Werber 1729 than putting out this jacket. However we are not privy to the business side of this decision so here we are...

stanier

I wonder why ELC are making jackets for TSPTR that sell for £850 when ELC’s own house A-2 is £899? TSPTR will want their cut from every jacket sold so the margin ELC make on every jacket they sell to them they’ve lost on their own sale keeping their own workforce occupied if the demand is as high as the continual price hikes indicate. I wonder how many TSPTR had to commit to sell? And how many will they sell?

Maybe we could get ELC to make the forum a “forum members only” contract repro cheaper then the house model?

johnwayne

Surely anyone wanting a 'proper' A2 wouldn't buy that version - this'll go to the biker crew who poss don't know A2's but just like the jacket albeit I thought they only liked black! Somehow I don't see them flying out of stock!! Yes I too thought the idea may have been lifted from the duo tone B3 which though not everyone's choice is at least a faithful repro of a real jacket. As to the price ELC charge TSTPR so they can make a profit proves ELC's mark up for the public ie us is verging on extortionate and which we've all been saying with various price hikes in the recent past but, business is business, although not from me!!!

zhz44

I think I will only buy A2 from BK and Platon. If I have enough money and JC can see my email, I may order a GW.