• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC B-2 flight cap - anyone got one ?

Officer Dibley

Thinking of buying one of these. Can they be worn out and about or just for renactment events ?

BB13D637-C455-4730-90A5-770FBF578A2D.jpeg

Smithy

I'm the same as Burt. It's a bit Bert and Ernie go out in the Snow.

Great for reenacting but not out in the modern, real world on an everyday basis. That's just me though.

Get yourself a decent watch cap or even beanie, warm, functional and without the dandy, fancy look.

What's the going price for one of those now at ELC after all the price hikes? 600 quid yet ;-)

Micawber

I've had a number of originals, did I wear them for day to day use - not in this life. That said my mum bought me something suspisciousy like one for "when it was chilly outside so put this on or you'll catch your death of cold" around 1965.

petermack09

Although I sold mine last year I think they work well depending what you pair it with,,I wouldn’t cut about Glasgow wearing it with my ANJ4 that’s for sure but it works with A2s etc,,

Officer Dibley

I was thinking for driving my MX-5.
Keep the low sun off my peepers.
I have watchcaps and jeep caps etc of course for cooler days. All work well. Just looking for something different - but perhaps not THAT different ! ;)
Thanks for the inputs mates

Smithy

I had a MX-5, a series two in BRG with tan leather and hood. It was imported from Japan and also chipped up. When the catalytic converter shat itself I had my mate who ran a garage, put a straight pipe in (NZ had no requirements for CCs back then) which delivered probably an extra 10 or so more horses. Wonderful car and an absolute hoot to drive. Without the CC it sounded a million times better too.

petermack09

93AC6D4C-45C9-43AC-87E5-3E4A261EFB0A.jpeg
I had a MX-5, a series two in BRG with tan leather and hood. It was imported from Japan and also chipped up. When the catalytic converter shat itself I had my mate who ran a garage, put a straight pipe in (NZ had no requirements for CCs back then) which delivered probably an extra 10 or so more horses. Wonderful car and an absolute hoot to drive. Without the CC it sounded a million times better too.
C74C45BF-1C6A-4198-A357-0F911983ACBC.jpeg

Even better with a BBR upgrade,,nearly lost my B2 hat a couple of times :)

Smithy

View attachment 23004
View attachment 23003
Even better with a BBR upgrade,,nearly lost my B2 hat a couple of times :)

Great looking car Peter but I'm probably biased as I have a soft spot for classic cars and have had quite a few and the second generation MX-5 to me was always the real looker. The first generation always looked like an Elan knockoff but the second always looked like something one of the British marques could of made without looking like a copy of something directly. The later generation ones look a bit too modern for my tastes.

I really loved that car. It was like the British 60s sports cars I've driven in terms of feel without all the pissing oil all over the driveway and conking out at the drop of a hat!

petermack09

I completely agree with everything you say Smithy,,they are so much fun as a 2nd car,anyone who says it’s a hair dressers car obviously havnt driven one,,,or seen my shaved napper :)

Officer Dibley

I love my (wife’s) MX-5. You drive it. It responds. It isn’t designed to make everything easy. It is raw and fun - even with the roof up ! We drive with the roof down to 3C providing it isn’t raining.
If you mock anyone driving one then it’s coz you’ve never driven one !

Smithy

They really are like a proper British 60s sports car in terms of how they feel on the road, the responsiveness, handling but with Japanese reliability. With the CC off and a straight pipe it sounded far better - like a rorty classic sports car. There's a few cars I really miss, and that MX-5 is one due to just how enjoyable it was to drive whilst being as reliable as a Swiss clock. It along with the '69 Mini Cooper I had (another which was slightly souped up - bigger head, 1 1/2 inch SUs, performance extractors) are the two I probably most miss, then again that Merc 280S was rather nice...

:)

Smithy

You know this place Burt, we like a good tangent. Now just wait though, the fun police might be along in a minute to tell us how we should stick to the subject, that this sort of carry on causes information congestion, flat feet, global warming, perforated eardrums, rickets...

:D