• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC and steerhide .50 cal

Chandler

rotenhahn said:
Chandler:
it looks about like that...

The GW in real life? 'Cause Buzz' collar, on my screen, has a much duller look to it.

As said previously, could very well be bad lighting in the GW shot, wasn't looking to start an argument.

The GW reminds me of some FS jackets made a few years ago, seems they got heavy-handed on the finish and they came out real shiny looking. Historical seal I saw almost looked like it had a Formica coat.

Chandler

Chandler

BTW -- perusing some of the other threads and I came upon this one
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1566 with images from Acme Depot. The McCoy's Marc is wearing has the same sheen I see on the Good Wear, whereas the ELC is more dull in finish (note the brightness at the high points of the folds). Obviously the lighting used could be radically different, so as to blame the photography, but I've never cared for that shiny finish.

OTOH, if it wears off there'd be no complaints in the long run.

Chandler

A

Anonymous

Chandler:
The GW reminds me of some FS jackets made a few years ago, seems they got heavy-handed on the finish and they came out real shiny looking. Historical seal I saw almost looked like it had a Formica coat.
The jacket has a sheen (as have many originals I've owned) but it's nothing like the polyacrylate or propylvinyl varnish that was on other repros I've had. The leather on the GW absorbs water- you can blow air through it- the fine graining and pores of the leather are visible. NOTHING like the paint and shellac I've seen on some RMNZs and LWs and to a lesser extent Eastmans. Like I said- like McQueen's collar on your avatar...

Chandler

rotenhahn said:
Like I said- like McQueen's collar on your avatar...

Insist all you want on that point, but the collar "sheen" in my avatar is nothing like the sheen on the GW -- on my home or work computer monitor.

Chandler

A

Anonymous

Chandler said:
rotenhahn said:

Insist all you want on that point, but the collar "sheen" in my avatar is nothing like the sheen on the GW -- on my home or work computer monitor.

Chandler

No no- YOU insist my Dear Alphonse! :roll: :roll: Malaca!

bseal

Chandler said:
rotenhahn said:

Chandler

Guess who will be the new owner of this nauga-horse-hide beauty? ;)
BTW, it is the same stuff as seen in the Evolution of a Dubow thread.
Give it a look over. Great photos.