• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC and steerhide .50 cal

A

Anonymous

So, Paul's thread that looked like it might be interesting got hijacked by others.

Will anyone who goes to the 'Flying Legends' airshow at Duxford please tell us what the .50 cal leather looks like ? I have a hankering to buy one ! :)

J_H

havocpaul

Sure will, Gary has a 42 going which I will be trying on; will report back and put my head over the trench and risk the 'snipers', they ain't got me yet! Any review will be impartial, can't speak for any subsequent responses.... :lol:

A

Anonymous

Top Man Paul !!

I promise you won't hear any "Goodwear-is-better" from me ;)

Apart from colour change, though, I can't see what '.50cal' has in terms of leather property qualities that the other Pearl Harbour 'Time-Worn' don't already have .............

I may try to get my son and myself down to the airshow to see for myself. Always nicer if you can actually see teh jacket you are buying. After all, each one is a little different from the next.

I was watching two Spits dogfighting this afternoon over my office. Presumably in preperation for the show. FANTASTIC. :D

J_H

A

Anonymous

Jacket Head:
I promise you won't hear any "Goodwear-is-better" from me

Why not- are you blind? Can't see well? Eternally faithful to British A-2s? Unwilling to see the truth? Don't know anything about A-2s? :D

A

Anonymous

rotenhahn

I bow to your superior knowledge ....... there is no truth but your truth and there is but one god........ JC :twisted: :twisted:

There, are you happy now ?

I'm entitled to my opinion and not just yours. I've owned two of the Good Wear jackets that people rave about. I personally didn't like them and sold them on. When I raised this I was then told that some of John's jackets (the earlier ones) weren't that good (whereas before they were touted as amazing). At the moment the latest ones are amazing and earlier ones are coming onto the market. So how many Good Wear jackets must I buy before I have the right to say that they don't suit MY view on what pleases ME (NOT you) ?

I like John and admire him greatly for what he has done and is doing. He's a thoroughly nice bloke too and I know he can't do enough to make sure his client's are happy. But that's a seperate issue to jackets. Also, not being a septic I do not feel I have to buy american or be damned.

J_H

PS HI Tim !! Did you get my e-mail yesterday ? If you change your mind, let me know ;)

269sqnhudson

Rotenhahn, with all due respect please just keep it to yourself. This is an Eastman .50 cal thread, a second one, started because you wouldn't let the first one ride.

I like the look of the .50 cal, I also really like the name, good call Gary. I've never met the Eastman chaps but I'm considering Duxford in September.

T

A

Anonymous

I think it's a great looking jacket. I own an ELC house model in russet,love it, even if it is made in England. JUST KIDDING!!

A

Anonymous

Here's a copy of an e-mail I sent to Gary and his response.......

"Hi Gary,
Could you please tell me the difference between the Pearl Harbour Time-Worn and the new .50cal hides ? I've a hankering for a another Eastman jacket (4 and counting!).
I'm looking for a very grainy, creased looking leather. Steerhide seem to be the hide for that sort of effect. I did have a 'Warhorse' A-2 from yourselves but it wasn't rough looking enough.
Regards,

Dear ****,
Thank you for your enquiry.
The differences are best shown and described on the website really. The hides are quite similar in as much as they are dyed the same colour (seal Brown) and are both veg tanned. The .50CAL finish however does not have distressing (scuffing) done to it. It is broken in like the Pearl Harbor, and then burnished - a more subtle kind of effect entirely.
This Steerhide does have noticeable rugged character, so I think it would be appropriate if you like that more grainy look.
You can always return within 7 days unworn (less carriage £12) if it's not to your liking.
Hope to receive your order soon.
Best regards,
Gary Eastman

Can't say fairer than that can you ?

J_H

jacketimp

JACKET_ HEAD said:
Here's a copy of an e-mail I sent to Gary and his response.......

"Hi Gary,
Could you please tell me the difference between the Pearl Harbour Time-Worn and the new .50cal hides ? I've a hankering for a another Eastman jacket (4 and counting!).
I'm looking for a very grainy, creased looking leather. Steerhide seem to be the hide for that sort of effect. I did have a 'Warhorse' A-2 from yourselves but it wasn't rough looking enough.
Regards,

Dear ****,
Thank you for your enquiry.
The differences are best shown and described on the website really. The hides are quite similar in as much as they are dyed the same colour (seal Brown) and are both veg tanned. The .50CAL finish however does not have distressing (scuffing) done to it. It is broken in like the Pearl Harbor, and then burnished - a more subtle kind of effect entirely.
This Steerhide does have noticeable rugged character, so I think it would be appropriate if you like that more grainy look.
You can always return within 7 days unworn (less carriage £12) if it's not to your liking.
Hope to receive your order soon.
Best regards,
Gary Eastman

Can't say fairer than that can you ?

J_H

yes sireeeee..........

i've bought an original a2 from gary and the return policy is the same....7 days no quibble refund........nuff said!

A

Anonymous

269 whatever:
Rotenhahn, with all due respect please just keep it to yourself. This is an Eastman .50 cal thread, a second one, started because you wouldn't let the first one ride.
So only praise is allowed? So if we start a thread on a new jacket no one should criticise it?(in your world)

A

Anonymous

How can you - Lord all bloody mighty jacket god - criticise something which you can't have seen ??

You must have one special crystal ball :lol:

havocpaul

I got wound up and replied to him on the other 50cal posting just now, but clearly that's only going to keep him going as he's obviously enjoying enforcing his opinion whenever possible; best not bother. As I promised, I will let anyone who's interested know what the jacket really does look like and maybe anyone else going to the Duxford show could do the same... I know I am not alone in wanting to hear sensible reviews of all new jackets from any manufacturer.

Roughwear

havocpaul said:
I got wound up and replied to him on the other 50cal posting just now, but clearly that's only going to keep him going as he's obviously enjoying enforcing his opinion whenever possible; best not bother. As I promised, I will let anyone who's interested know what the jacket really does look like and maybe anyone else going to the Duxford show could do the same... I know I am not alone in wanting to hear sensible reviews of all new jackets from any manufacturer.

Paul, I too hope to examine this jacket at Duxford. Although it is easy to express an opinion on a jacket from photos nothing quite compares with seeing a jacket in the flesh.

A

Anonymous

havocpaul said:
" Enforcing..." "Sensible..."??!!? I don't think I'm the one with control issues... ;) maybe you should respond to my criticism instead of trying to out-big-dog me!

ausreenactor

Confused...

"Big Dog"??

"I've been collecting jackets since 1977-78 and I suffer from extreme OCD- I know my DETAILS."
"I've ended up with ONE original jacket and TWO Goodwears as my wearers- that's it!"

Three jackets in thirty years of OCD dictated collecting?? Obsessive & compulsive? Nah.
Think you just like shopping!

I buy em and keep them, which identifies me a collector, as opposed to an opportunity shop!

Regards...

Couchy (self confessed "Little Dog", but owner of lots of [Repro] jackets)

269sqnhudson

I asked Gary if he'd do an unburnished version. I had an unweathered PH A-2 so thought I'd ask. Surprising reply...

Dea Tom,

Thanks for the enquiry.

I'm afraid we don't supply anything that is not as advertised spec, so the .50CAL only comes in the broken-in spec. It's not that we don't want to be accommodating - it's to do with consolidating product identity. We have a very firm policy concerning this matter. Thanks for your kind understanding.

Best regards,
Gary

A bit disappointing really...and surprisingly corporate phraseology; 'consolidating product identity'. I wonder why.

Tim P

to limit unuseable returns. there are some fussy bastards about.

Rotenhahn.
You are right. Goodwears are very good. Your opinion counts. You are validated. No axe to grind with you but just leave it go will you FFS? I get to bicker enough at work without reading it here for 'relaxation'.
And anyone else rising to the bait too.
If you wouldnt mind....
please?