• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC, Aero, or... ?

mulceber

I’m not as well-versed in Irvins as I am in AAF stuff, and there are others here who could steer you better, but my impression is that both ELC and Aero make very good Irvin repros, but neither is perfect. At the kind of prices Eastman charges (a topic very well-canvassed on this board), I’d want perfection. So my vote goes to Aero as the better choice.

Last edited:

bseal

I'm considering purchasing a repro Irvin for the winter. Which would be considered the most true to the original, ELC, Aero Leathers or someone else?
Thanks in advance.

Aces High, all day long. They are hard to find though. Good luck on your journey.

3673CE1A-ADF3-40A3-896D-08E2E11ACB9E.jpeg

Last edited:

B-Man2

I think that in this case what you’re willing to spend will pretty much tell you which jacket to choose. If you have an unlimited budget then an ELC is probably the best bang for the buck at this time . Bseal is right in that an Aces High Irvin is one of the best out there, but they are no longer being made and they hardly come up for sale. So you could be waiting years for one in your size. Good wear doesn’t offer them or I’d say Good Wear. So that leaves Aero. If you have a limited budget then it’s an Aero for you . As I said earlier, if you have an unlimited budget then it’s ELC. Now here’s a thought … If you have a limited budget but you still want an ELC … Pre owned ones come up fairly frequently and at reduced prices …. So there you have it . Your wallet will help you decide which options are best for you.

mulceber

Now here’s a thought … If you have a limited budget but you still want an ELC … Pre owned ones come up fairly frequently and at reduced prices …. So there you have it .
There's currently a gorgeous original for sale on the ELC classifieds for around the price of an Eastman repro new. It doesn't mention the sizing, but you won't find a repro more accurate than that. ;)

John Lever

I think the advice given by others , to buy used is best.
The very early, pre 1995 Eastman jackets are my favourite but can be fragile. There was a later period when Eastman used Riri zips with plastic pull tabs and also slightly red/orange tinted fleece. These are not good features IMO.
The later Aero jackets are superb.
Aces High jackets were only ever made in very small numbers so might be almost impossible to find.

Chris 55

There is a new sheepskin colour and finish coming from Five Star which is due very soon.
Shawn has a couple of my original jackets he's been working from so hopefully the new skin should be spot on.
He also has a hood from the coastal command jacket for pattern and colour match.

IMG_20210816_190653.jpg

johnwayne

Not personally checked but try ELC’s classified ads on their website as they do turn up and/or place a ‘wanted’ ad there yourself.

Spitfireace

My advice would be to go with Aero if you are looking for a new jacket. The price is a lot more reasonable than Eastman. If you have to have an Eastman, go used, if you can find one in your size. In my case an Eastman either new or used was not an option as they don't make them in my size (short). Aero will make to measure. I was lucky to find an original that is in my size, but finding an original without any damage to the leather or seams is not easy to find. Most of the ones I see on eBay have tears in the shell. As far as the zipper issue goes, I wish someone would make an exact copy. I think Eastman's is pretty close but it is stamped Eastman, is it not Eastman owner's?

Pa12

I bought an Eastman Irvin in 2008. Beautiful jacket. However, I found it a bit too heavy and constricting for me. I sold it and bought an Eastman roughwear b-6. It’s just a more comfortable weight for me. No denying they build beautiful stuff, put the price is getting up in the crazy zone.