• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC AERO 18775-P

Roughwear

In 1996 Eastman made a very limited number of reproductions of the Aero 18775-P contract using a very fine copy of the Aero spec label. Some have Eastman on the label, but this one does not. I spoke to Gary about this jacket last Saturday and he told me only ten jackets were actually made.

Recently I acquired this jacket, which is the same jacket that is featured on John's Flight Jacket CD. It's is a great copy of this last Aero contract. As John says
the leather has tremendous grain on the front and back panels, as well as the pockets, and is generally thin and soft. The colour is a typical darker russet that Aero is known for. The lining is of a mustard colour that is correct for this contract. Other accurate details are the epaulette design, pocket shape, large black ring snaps, and a vintage brass Talon from WWII, which this Aero contract did have.
You see some originals with rounded pockets like this one and others with squarer pocket corners. Here are a few photos taken today.

P1100879_zps789f7a70.jpg

P1100880_zps5c69a531.jpg

P1100882_zpse0f2e9eb.jpg

P1100881_zps7cadc49d.jpg

P1100883_zpsf4be2a5c.jpg

P1100884_zpsfc5889ef.jpg

P1100885_zps180936e3.jpg

P1100887_zps32300011.jpg

P1100886_zps552f50f7.jpg

P1100888_zpscb6f39b5.jpg

P1100890_zps370b2eac.jpg

P1100892_zps8aff86f3.jpg

B-Man2

The jacket looks outstanding.

Why did ELC only produce ten of these and why don't they reproduce them today?
It certainly looks better than some of the jackets they produced in later years.

Roughwear

I believe there was a copyright issue with Aero which prevented them from continuing to use the Aero name and this would partly explain the limited run.

B-Man2

Roughwear said:
I believe there was a copyright issue with Aero which prevented them from continuing to use the Aero name and this would partly explain the limited run.

Andrew;

It looks great and it compliments your originals very nicely. It certainly shows that ELC was capable of turning out quality reproductions as far back as 1996. I wonder why they didn't utilize that type of leather (horsehide or steer) on other contracts where copyright infrigement would not have been an issue.

zoomer

I wasn't aware you could copyright a garment design. The name Aero would be trademarked of course.

But the good-faith thing to do would have been for Eastman to stop making the 18775 contract entirely after Aero called them on the use of the name - as they did.

DJS48

I had wanted to buy a used one over the years and since only ten were produced, I understand why the jacket was never offered for sale as a used jacket on the forum. From the pictures posted here and John Chapman's cd, it's a good looking jacket.

Cheers,
Don

B-Man2

mrchina said:
I had wanted to buy a used one over the years and since only ten were produced, I understand why the jacket was never offered for sale as a used jacket on the forum. From the pictures posted here and John Chapman's cd, it's a good looking jacket.

Cheers,
Don[/quote

You stand a better chance of finding an original in mint condition than finding one of these.

Vcruiser

John Lever said:
Vcruiser said:
John Lever said:
Ken Calder jointly owns the Aero brand with someone in Japan.

Interesting. Are you sure about that John?
Ken told me during a recent phoncall.
I think they licence the name to the Few.

Oh OK..sorry. I thought Ken had license to the Aero name..but someone payed him a fee to use an Aero label (s). I misunderstood.

B-Man2

It sure beats their ELC .50 cal A2. It would definitely be a good seller if they ever decided to reproduce it again. Are you listening ( watching) ELC?

Hobbstc

So how does someone know if they have one of these? I just got the jacket that AlexLuton was selling. I emailed ELC and they said it was a 50cal but that makes no sense. Just trying to figure out what I have. I love it though and will be posting pics soon.