• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC 27752 owners, how are they wearing?

269sqnhudson

I got a sample of the new 27752 hide when it was first launched and all the surface pigment came off on my fingers with light rubbing so I changed to a Cable.
I'd be really interested to know if owners are experiencing premature wear or dye loss on the finished articles.

Tom

floyd

I would not attempt any premature wear with "hot water". The top coat finish will rub off easy. I found that out while spot cleaning a splattered bug off my left front panel. The entire jacket has aged very well. Almost all the high spots show some under coat. Which by the way is russet. My jacket has seen some very hard use. The wear is showing quickly, but looks very natural. The new horse hide looks more worn than all my other ELC jackets with years of wear. Personally, besides the grain, the easy finish wear, fit and color have made this by far the best A2 I have ever had.

I am looking forward th seeing the new ELC RW in russet. I hope the finish wears the same. It is fragile, but ages well and quick. Take my advice, DO NOT HOT WATER TREAT THE NEW ELC RW 27752. You will destroy the finish, it will rub off. If it does get wet don't scrunch and fold the leather, it will come off.

elcnewrw011-1.jpg
elcnewrw009.jpg
elcnewrw002.jpg
elcnewrw003.jpg

Edited image display - Bill French

Roughwear

This is very interesting and sounds as if the finish on the new RW does not replicate the durability of originals from the contract which wear gracefully.

nogbat

i have a new 27752 in time worn , very pleased with the fit and the colour, it seems like a very aged a2 , not a fan of time worn really but this model imo is good, check out duxford hits its on there with steve and persimon before they swopped jackets. :? :? getting back to the jacket it seems a thicker hide and the stitching complements the jacket.. as regards the collar size .. its a roughwear what do you expect.... ime pleased with my purchase ;) at the moment ..............the sickness continues..

Falcon_52

From the pictures, the surface wear looks similar to Bevan's '38 Aero repro from The Few. Maybe Eastman are sourcing the same horsehide as RMNZ for these jackets. It was amazing how worn-in Bevan's jacket looked in such a short amount of time. I like the look of Floyd's too.

These jackets are certainly different animals from the A-2s that are drum-dyed and spray finished. Damn, I swear those take forever to develop any character.

Noel

269sqnhudson

Roughwear said:
This is very interesting and sounds as if the finish on the new RW does not replicate the durability of originals from the contract which wear gracefully.

Hmm, that's what I thought. I personally don't like a rapid ageing finish so I'm glad I opted for the Cable. But I only have the two A2s so can spend more time wearing them in rather than guys who have many.

Thanks for the pics everyone, I appreciate your responses.

Falcon_52 said:
From the pictures, the surface wear looks similar to Bevan's '38 Aero repro from The Few. Maybe Eastman are sourcing the same horsehide as RMNZ for these jackets.

Noel

Nope, no way, not ever, no how. Bevan

nogbat

i would agree with floyd ,, this isnt a jacket you could take a shower with or rub it down with something rough ... but still pleased with my jacket... :lol: :lol:

floyd

I would like to comment more on the new ELC leather. It really is unique. It is not fragile by any means. The finish wear is the heart of its beauty. We all have had EASTMAN A2s, this RW is special. I hope they use the same leather, for their RW1401.

Marv

Mine's wearing really well, it's had about 4 hot water misting sessions where I have throughly soaked the jacket and then worn until dry without any problems or loss of pigment.
I suspect ELC have done something to the tanning/pigment process since this thread began as my jacket had quite a sheen to it when I first got it so much so , like a spray finish of some kind maybe to seal in the colour.
I am very happy with my jacket and I will try to post some up to date photos when I get a chance.