• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC 1944 IRVIN-ARRIVED!

Roughwear

Here are some pics of my ELC 1944 Irvin, which arrived earlier in the week. It is a size 44 and is the same size as original size 5s in my collection. Having handled the 1940 and 1942 ELC Irvins this one is probably the best they have made to date. It is a test jacket and the only one made with dark brown fleece in this size. I like the dull appearance of the leather and the workmanship is superb. It is a very accuarate copy of a late War multi-panelled Irvin and I hope it becomes a production model. I have replaced the ELC zip pull with an original Dot as it is more in keeping with the slider bucket. Now we need some colder weather so I can wear it!

002-6.jpg

004-9.jpg

005-8.jpg

007-9.jpg

008-10.jpg

009-9.jpg

010-8.jpg

011-12.jpg

012-11.jpg

Andrew

Looks great Andrew, interesting chunky looking fleece. Certainly looks better with the correct puller and a jacket worth having if you have the right weather. In the shots there appears to be a strange impression pattern (looks a bit like a grid) in the surface of the leather. Is it really there or just in the shots?

Roughwear

Leadsky said:
Looks great Andrew, interesting chunky looking fleece. Certainly looks better with the correct puller and a jacket worth having if you have the right weather. In the shots there appears to be a strange impression pattern (looks a bit like a grid) in the surface of the leather. Is it really there or just in the shots?

Thanks Andrew. Yes there is a grid pattern on the surface of some of the panels. I have seen a similar pattern on a couple of late War Irvins which I have owned. I am glad it does not have the smooth appearance of some of ELC's production Irvins.

spitfire

I like that jacket better than the other ELC irvins they have made.it is a real beauty Andrew.The wool looks black in most of the pictures to me,except for the collar area and flap.If they ever start making them in my size,i will contact them about making me one one day.It must be brilliant for you Andrew,not only have you just obtained a beautiful original with black wool,but now,a brand new repro with brown/black looking wool,means you can wear that instead of the original.

John Lever

Great jacket Andrew. ELC still make the best Irvin repro IMO, I especially like the arm configuration and shape. They usually only make the multi panel in the off cuts from the 1940 jacket, not out of the 'worn ' skins so you have a double whammy.

Hawkeye

great jacket Andrew! I was not totally taken by the pictures on the ELC site, but after looking at your shots I have to agree, its really a lovely looking thing. If ELC puts these on as a regular item, I would hope they keep the price down to where it is now, seeing as they can use the cheaper, smaller sheepskin panels. Can we get a shot of the jacket being worn?

Swing

Hawkeye said:
If ELC puts these on as a regular item, I would hope they keep the price down to where it is now, seeing as they can use the cheaper, smaller sheepskin panels.

Nah, I bet they could say "it's more labour intensive" and keep it at the same price, or more expensive, as the 1942 model. I agree though, great looking jacket, and I'd like to see it added to their line up.

~Swing

Cliff

Another winner Andrew. The dark fleece is not really my thing, but the skin texture and its colour is beautiful. Any pictures yet of you wearing it?

regards

Cliff

John Lever

JACKET_ HEAD said:
The real question is ..................... is it a keeper ? :)
I think we all agree that there is no such thing. We intend to keep certain ' special ' jackets. But something better always comes along in time.

Roughwear

John Lever said:
JACKET_ HEAD said:
The real question is ..................... is it a keeper ? :)
I think we all agree that there is no such thing. We intend to keep certain ' special ' jackets. But something better always comes along in time.

I agree with this John. In the case of this jacket it is unique and very nice so I don't see it leaving here for a long time!
:)