• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edmund T Church M422a Reproduction - Headwind Mfg Co

Brettafett

Thought Id add some pics of originals, showing a variation to the blond collar... Im more inclined to go this route for my Headwind Church.
front_view_flat copy.jpg
front_view_flat-2 copy.jpg

Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 23.14.32.png

B-Man2

Couldn’t agree with you more Grant .
In my opinion the most accurate stitch for stitch repros of USN flight jackets out there today, are those made by either Dave Sheeley or John Chapman.

Last edited:

Brettafett

Not disagreeing necessarily, but interested to know what makes you say that?
(I have a couple of issues myself, but will wait to see what improvements they've made...)

Considering that is the first test jacket, and well over 75 years younger.... what could Jay do better to improve it?

And yes, if John is the the King of A-2s (actually all types tbh), Dave surely is the king of USN jackets...

B-Man2

Not disagreeing necessarily, but interested to know what makes you say that?
(I have a couple of issues myself, but will wait to see what improvements they've made...)

Considering that is the first test jacket, and well over 75 years younger.... what could Jay do better to improve it?

And yes, if John is the the King of A-2s (actually all types tbh), Dave surely is the king of USN jackets...
Hi Brett
I wasn’t sure if your question was meant for me or Grant, but I’ll be happy to give you my opinions . It simply comes down to research and knowledge , quality craftsmanship , skill and attention to details . Simply put JC and Dave hand make every jacket they sell themselves , from cutting the pattern to stitching the jacket together, certain sections by hand . Each and every jacket is made by JC or Dave . There’s no helpers , no cutters, no machine operators etc . So each jacket represents and is an example of John or Dave’s personal skill and craftsmanship . That’s what I know to be true about those makers . If you know the same about headwind products, please let us hear about it , because I don’t think that the owner of that company does any of those things, but sub contracts the work to people and locations outside of the US, who don’t have a complete knowledge or experience in putting these specialized examples of WWII jackets together. If I’m mistaken about this fact then someone please correct me on this . I’ll look forward to your response.

Last edited:

Brettafett

Burt, totally agree regs John & Dave.
I can't speak for Headwinds production. Outsourced, certainly...Ive heard US and outside US, but honestly dont know.

I guess what Im asking is for constructive input.
How can Jays jacket be better?

Jays jacket might not be hand-made by a single, experienced and passionate entity (perhaps it is...), but I guess he must be 'passionate' enough to attempt the have these made as best he can, with resources at his disposal.

As always, I'd like to encourage these guys. Otherwise we'd have limited options for our hobby.
If John, Dave (ELC, BK, DD, Buzz, RMJ etc) were the only options for a decent repro jacket, we'd have a lot more moaning about high prices and long wait times.

If Jay can manage to produce a decent jacket, thats even 'approaching' the top-end, then I see that as a win for all of us.

Last edited:

johnwayne

Not sure that Mark at Norshor is into Navy jackets but he too personally makes his A1/2’s and civvy jackets himself and anyone here who has one of his reproductions I’m sure would support me in vouching for his efforts. Think he has at times like DD, worked closely with JC.

Micawber

When is @London Cabbie going to get his jacket Jay @Skyhawk ?

Last edited:

mulceber

So, it's been a year since Jay has posted anything. Cabbie still hasn't gotten his jacket as far as I've heard. It looks an awful lot like Jay only returned to the VLJ so he could net a couple more orders from people who weren't aware of what had happened the previous time with Burt.

Can we just ban Jay already? The VLJ is obviously not responsible for him (legally or morally), but he is not a reputable businessman, and allowing him to post freely and advertise only leaves people who weren't paying attention the last time with the mistaken impression that he's safe.

CBI

Jay/Headwind is still advertising/selling on eBay with all positive feedback within last 6 months. Probably mostly zipper/supply sales. He is selling test jackets on their as well. No idea what all of this means ..............

mulceber

Jay/Headwind is still advertising/selling on eBay with all positive feedback within last 6 months. Probably mostly zipper/supply sales. He is selling test jackets on their as well. No idea what all of this means ..............

I just gave his feedback a quick check. Here are the stats: 50 positive feedback within the last 6 months.

Of those 50...
  • in 45, Jay was the buyer.
  • 4 of them were for zippers
  • 1 was for a (test?) jacket. The feedback is illuminating though: "this jacket was exactly as advertised . However I am still awaiting 3 others that were ordered. So until I receive updated info on the prior orders , I will not be placing another order."

B-Man2

There are a couple of people here who have never received a jacket or their money back from Headwind. For reasons known only to them, they are reluctant to speak up. If they think that by remaining silent they might receive a jacket or their money back at some point … well good luck to them with that … Any punitive actions imposed by this forum are long overdue in my opinion.

Last edited:

Nickb123

It’s a shame.

I saw Steve S. posting about not having an order in quite some time. I think he should separate from selling his catalogue on Headwind’s site. Maybe that’s holding some folks back. I’m probably incorrect, but who knows.

I was eyeing his Marseille (even with the two rows of buttons which I like!) and just don’t feel right going through the Headwind channel.

The whole thing stinks. Some closure would be nice for all.

There is shit that is inexcusable but we are also human and prone to inexcusable acts. Jay can still make this right for his customers he’s left in the dust. We’re all a pretty forgiving bunch here. Admit fault and correct.

B-Man2

Steve S. is a good guy and turns out some great work. If anyone is interested in purchasing a jacket from him or having him do some repair work on a jacket, I’d suggest that they contact him directly and not be afraid that they might loose their money. Several here, including myself would highly recommend him.