• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman T-shirts

Skanstull

Does anyone have any experience with Eastman Leather's t-shirts?

They are extremely pricey, but leaving that aside, are they of good quality and how do they fit?

I assume they are sourced through Buzz Rickson given their relationship with Eastman?

Grant

I have a couple of them (USMC and US Army tee) and can vouch on accuracy and quality. I bought them a few years ago before the big price hike so they've seen a lot of wear. They're cut more accurately (trim military cut, wide cut neck and long in the body for tucking in) than buzz tees, so doubt they're Buzz made, but what do I know.

They've held up really well to multiple washing and drying. They are made from 100% cotton so do shrink some if you throw them in the dryer. I wear a sz 42 in most of my jacs so ordered the same size tees. They fit slightly on the trim side as they should. BTW, if you've seen the Catch 22 remake, they're all wearing ELC tees.

Geeboo

I second with grant. The most accurate tee out in the market in terms of material , cut [collar, torso, sleeves length] and even label. Much much better than Buzz & RM in terms of accurancy, don't get wrong, Buzz & RM are of extremely good quality tee, but in terms of period accuracy Eastman is almost the only best available in the mkt (the only weak point is the variety of prints), maybe except mine own produce - just kidding, PERIOD.
9 -ink.jpg
10-ink.jpg
11-ink.jpg
12-ink.jpg
13-ink.jpg

Last edited:

Skanstull

I second with grant. The most accurate tee out in the market in terms of material , cut [collar, torso, sleeves length] and even label. Much much better than Buzz & RM in terms of accurancy, don't get wrong, Buzz & RM are of extremely good quality tee, but in terms of period accuracy Eastman is almost the only best available in the mkt (the only weak point is the variety of prints), maybe except mine own produce - just kidding, PERIOD. View attachment 25970View attachment 25971View attachment 25972View attachment 25973View attachment 25974
Thanks Geeboo! Can you comment on sizing (using standard chest size, or size up) and also is there a difference in cut between the Navy tees and the army/air force tees?

Geeboo

no, I don't own any eastman tee. There is no diff bet the 2 but what makes WWII different to modern tee/ sweatshirt is the wide collar, short sleeves [both in tee & sweatshirt - usu. "hanging"] & slim fit & short body length in sweatshirt. The material used in tee in also much thinner than today's great quality counterparts - true for leather jacket & denim as well.

Geeboo

The photos on far right shows the same tee before and after I enlarge the collar & shorten the sleeves, IMO it looks more alike the originals in terms of cut. The green tee is from freewheelers which almost represents standard Japanese made tee - the collar
Du7.jpg
Du8.jpg

Last edited:

Skanstull

I am not sure I'm following you - but do I understand correctly none of these are Eastman tees, but you're showing them to illustrate the correct vintage cut? 'The green tee' - is that the tee with the text 'Delta' (looks grey on my screen)?

stanier

I currently have 3 US Navy Eastman tee’s and one US Army that’s still in the packet.

I agree with all Grant has said. I’ve had mine for several years and they’re extremely hard wearing. Mine are are like new after many, many washes. The fabric, weave, shape and colour superp repro’s and we’ll worth the money, even at the current price.

Unless you have a large beer tummy or like a very loose fit go with your actual size.

Be aware of one thing though, that wide cut neck can take some getting used to.I think the neck on the army version is not quite as wide. I tend to wear my tees as under shirts in the winter and only as shirts in their own right on the hottest summer days, because of the neck. FYI, I wear the 40” tee, though I did have a 42” for a while which I sold, the neck gets wider each size and I really didn’t like they way the 42” looked.

As an aside, my US Navy tee’s are the ELMC printed versions and the prints are amazing and very hard wearing.

The ELC tee’s are made in Japan but not, afaik, by Buzz and certainly not a Buzz derivative.

I think from somewhere I read the source manufacturer has more to do with the ELC relationship with MASH, though again, not a derivation of anything in at least their current catalogue.

I don’t believe there is another wwii period accurate tee option available, it’s ELC or a compromise/ inaccurate tee. Levi’s Vintage Clothing have made a civilian version very close in the past and I have a green one from about 15 years ago but current LVC is in my experience a pale shadow of its early self, and certainly any genuinely vintage Levi’s product.

Edward

I would love to get one but with shipping and tax right here With the US history preservations distributor it’s $120 . Hard for me to justify that for one T
One day I’ll probably bite the bullet...

ausreenactor

Couple of second hand BR tees went for hefty sums on EBay in the UK overnight..

They hold the value as second hand items....

I just want a 1st Marine Div tee from ELC. LOVE the look and the symbol.

OliverThomas

My father gave me one of these t-shirts and I will tell you that I have not met this quality very often.
My wife did not wash well and I bought a powerful washing machine and it did not survive this battle.We have become very sensitive to the quality of football, because every month to spend $ 50 is very unpleasant.So on a row you art mine christian t-shirts and another t-shirts I now go every day in different t-shirts.But I would say that the quality of any clothing is now beginning to deteriorate as manufacturers are starting to get cheaper. They want to make money on us and on our hopelessness.