• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman Roughwear - should I give up and move it on?

Brettafett

Your ELC 27752 looks great. I see no length issue at all... I may be repeating some of whats been said above, but anyway... It may 'feel' a bit long, but its not. (comparing with previous 'shorter' fitting jackets perhaps?) Wear it as much as you can and in a few weeks, once the inevitable creasing develops you will see its actually the perfect length.
I initially thought my Dubow was on the border-line long side, but after 2 or so months of wear, I've lost a bit in the sleeves and back, its now p e r f e c t! Then again, I do prefer longer fits, to the 'short' fit myself.
As far as the 'period' fit debate goes, most WW2 pics I've seen/ collected... have the jackets on the big side anyway... Not all, but most. And your pics at the start, are classic WW2 fit. Its going to look really good in a few month time, once its settled in...!
A note on hwt. Ive had a number of ELC RWs and done a few hwts... Be careful. It does not harm, but the results can be a bit unpredictable. I've found that the back panel shrinks the most, after sleeves (besides the waving zip effect...). Soaking and drying will cause some shrinkage, but then natural creasing will also, combine those two, and you compound the effect.
If you do want to do it, I'd recommend waiting a few months, wear it in first and re-access... Then, if you still want to try hwt, try a cwt first and do so sparingly. Perhaps don't submerse the entire jacket, don't wet the knit or zipper... In other words, go carefully. But I personally do not think it'll be necessary.
If anything, you could wet the back panel a bit then wear the jacket, go for a drive or sit with the back panel creased to allow some creases to form naturally... You'll lose a touch of length.
Enjoy it, it will wear in beautifully and likely become the best fitting A-2 you have ever owned.

Lebowski

You might not want to sell to this guy.
Well said Brett! I'd like to repeat my great admiration of Eastman's leather once again - it's just gorgeous! And btw (as far as I know) it's possibly the most shrinkable and wrinking (i.e. prone to fantastic creases) leather, with all its fantastic grain. Keep Eastman and never sell it - it's a very good advice, I absolutely agree with that point.
Just look at Jeremiah's Eastman Monarch - it looks just fabulous, it's really gorgeous!

Last edited:

MeachamLake

As an update to this, I did a hot water treatment and then let the leather dry and rest with some Pecard's absorbing into it. The results are tremendous - it's absolutely now the best looking and fitting A-2 I've ever had.

Amazing how well it's turned out! I will share some photos soon.

B-Man2

As an update to this, I did a hot water treatment and then let the leather dry and rest with some Pecard's absorbing into it. The results are tremendous - it's absolutely now the best looking and fitting A-2 I've ever had.

Sounds pretty cool!
Can’t wait to see it!

Pilot

Great!

jeremiah

Well said Brett! I'd like to repeat my great admiration of Eastman's leather once again - it's just gorgeous! And btw (as far as I know) it's possibly the most shrinkable and wrinking (i.e. prone to fantastic creases) leather, with all its fantastic grain. Keep Eastman and never sell it - it's a very good advice, I absolutely agree with that point.
Just look at Jeremiah's Eastman Monarch - it looks just fabulous, it's really gorgeous!

Funny you mention about the leather shrinking. I feel my monarch fits great now but when new a year ago was definitely too big. I’d hate to have it fit spot on then only to have it be way too tight now.

MeachamLake

Ok, just snapped a few pics after getting home from the office, hence the trousers!

This is the result of some selective hot water treatment on various parts of the jacket. I didn’t dunk the whole thing as I didn’t want to create any wavey zips...I’m delighted with the results. This is now a vastly better fitting jacket on me and still leaves enough room for layering.

The sleeves in particular still need to break in more and get some creasing and shape, but this is a great place to start from.

5E5DF721-B132-46FB-931D-33DBB377B35F.jpeg EDBB1B91-CBC7-4044-8C20-2FBCF55A4B40.jpeg E1794D35-ED74-485C-AD96-CC82832A3C04.jpeg

Attachments

• DA747824-FD70-41D8-8B29-0BEE47908DE3.jpeg
    DA747824-FD70-41D8-8B29-0BEE47908DE3.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 435

jeremiah

Came out great.
A note on the “wavy zip”. Wear this enough and in all sorts of conditions and situations, just like the originals were worn ;that zip will develop a bit of a wave on its own.

Lebowski

You might not want to sell to this guy.
Funny you mention about the leather shrinking. I feel my monarch fits great now but when new a year ago was definitely too big. I’d hate to have it fit spot on then only to have it be way too tight now.
Hey Jeremiah, why do you find it funny? I know that whole story with your Monarch from its very beginning and I find that your story quite similar to what Meacham asking about over here. Your shrinked Monarh with a lot of wrinkles and greases looks just gorgeous now. I think Meacham's Rough Wear might look and fit the same way after some wearing. It's going to look just fantastic, esp. considering its spectacular leather. That's what I mean Sir.

jeremiah

“Funny that you mention” as in I have not heard it said before or saw it mentioned where ELC leather seems to shrink up quite easily. So maybe a misunderstanding or matter of semantics but I meant it in a way that i had always thought that and now that you mention it.

jeremiah

I have seen quite a few originals now. I swear the warhorse is a dead ringer in feel and drape and look in many ways with some miles of use.