• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman price rise…..

bn1966

Can’t help myself..still ordering, hopefully will still be able to pay the heating bill. The fact I can visit the ELC showroom and try stuff on probably doesn’t help matters. Keep telling myself I’m going to stop….

Pa12

Can’t help myself..still ordering, hopefully will still be able to pay the heating bill. The fact I can visit the ELC showroom and try stuff on probably doesn’t help matters. Keep telling myself I’m going to stop….
That makes a huge difference. That would have saved me at least 3 jackets that didn’t fit over the years. Not to mention exchange rates, shipping, duty, taxes. I’d be drooling outside their window every day.

bn1966

That’s the thing, I can rock the prices periodically as the outcome is pretty certain. Too many times have I had the fit issues outside of ELC, cost of returns, selling on at a loss etc. All my leather jackets are now ELC aside from a 5* Trucker cloned off of a jacket I sent to Shawn.

FL are doing a visit down to Ivybridge very soon to the ELC Showroom. Was there the other day, the wall covered in Gary’s A-2 collection is pretty impressive as are the racks and racks of jackets for sale and Buzz Rickson section..needs deep pockets or an understanding bank manager :)

CBI

sounds rarely tempting. Although the prices are high, if I could actually TRY ON what is was thinking of buying, it would be hugely helpful and probably VERY costly!!! So glad I am NOT near by!!!!!

ausreenactor

Very jealous I am not able to visit ELC. Very happy I am not able to visit ELC!

Why wouldn't you buy? Great jackets and service... and if you have worked hard to splash out... treat yourself! You deserve nice things.

ausreenactor

Had a discussion with our Property Manager the other day about not increasing the rent. Reward a tenant that has signed a fresh lease. Apparently the house has increased in value by almost 100% in seven years.

People who bought next door two years ago wanted to buy our house at the time when we rented it out and relocated. I wonder if they wanted to pay the price we paid in 2015? Or if they expected things of value to appreciate and pay what the house is actually worth?

Pa12

Sounds like it’s the same everywhere. Our house prices have gone up 50 percent since the beginning of Covid. Government just brought in legislation to prevent foreign investors for 2 years. Bit late I think. Houses turn into bidding wars and in the end someone from China always beats any price with cash.

Spitfireace

Sounds like it’s the same everywhere. Our house prices have gone up 50 percent since the beginning of Covid. Government just brought in legislation to prevent foreign investors for 2 years. Bit late I think. Houses turn into bidding wars and in the end someone from China always beats any price with cash.
The lack of housing was created by government in the first place by bringing in so many immigrants but not having a plan on where to house them. So the available stock of houses obviously increase in price. Initially it started with allowing foreign non residents to buy as much real estate as they wanted. Real estate speculation. Housing as commodity rather than necessity. This new legislation is fifteen years too late, and loopholes like having students able to buy multi-million dollar houses is not new either. Won't solve anything, just another virtue signalling do nothing Trudeau government gaslighting move.

Pa12

It’s been happening for a long time. When I was looking for my first house in 1988 I couldn’t afford anything in the small town I grew up in. Had to get a 600 square ft townhouse one hour away. It’s just accelerated in the last couple of year.

Spitfireace

It used to be that small towns were cheaper because there were little to no jobs there. Now there are a lot of people working online, which means they can live anywhere and still do the same thing as in a big, expensive city. That has driven the price of real estate up in small towns now too. I've been considering getting out of Vancouver, because I prefer a more rural environment, but now renting in small towns is pretty close to the same cost as in Vancouver, so you have to be able to have a job that is paying the same as in the big city. It's still the same situation, there aren't many traditional jobs in small towns. So I'm stuck living here until I retire I guess, but the way real estate is going I might only be able to afford a motorhome but not the gas for it.

Pa12

Yes. I’ve always been tied to an airport for work, and the only airport in Ontario where you can earn a living is Pearson. So I’ve been commuting to the big stink 75 km each way for 33 years. Mostly nights. Pretty tough drive at 7 am after a 12 hour night shift. The younger guys are commuting double that distance. It just gets further and further because of the house prices.

Pa12

Mind you the maintenance colleges are 90 percent foreign students now. People here have clued into the fact that it’s a shitty career. I wouldn’t do it again if I got a do over.

Spitfireace

I hear you man, it doesn't get any easier the older you get. You work hard and you just get screwed. Gotta keep the chin up though, and hope it all works out in the end. There's no guarantees in life, but at least I don't live in Ukraine.