• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman price rise…..

Shropshire-lad

Just noticed in the last 24 hours that Eastmans prices have gone up…. Yesterday I looked at a ‘.50 cal B6’ at £1249…..today £1399. I thought yesterdays price was eye-watering but todays…. Wow.

Smithy

They priced me out many, many years ago.

But there's a lot of rich kids in China/Japan/etc who will keep paying these prices so good on ELC for pandering and milking them for everything they're worth.

Me? I'll keep my order with John at GW for a jacket that is made to measure, more accurate than other repros and worth the price of admission.

D97x7

Sounds about right considering how much everything has been going up recently.

Tattoo A2

Sounds about right considering how much everything has been going up recently.
Your not kidding, I just bought a gallon of hydraulic oil for my wood splitter...$46.00, crazy, it bought a five gallon drum last fall and it was 38 bucks...

CBI

yes, expected.

I was able to hold a recently purchased new ELC A-2 here locally. Although a great jacket, I really felt it was totally not worth the price. Even for me, someone who loves this kind of stuff.

But, costs do rise and if they can sell for more and it works, good for them.

B-Man2

While inflation is taking a big bite out of everyone’s paychecks these days……this is just ELC ……being ELC. We discussed their periodic prices increases a number of times here. They’ve raised prices when the economy was doing well …. They’ve raised prices when the economy was doing badly.
Of course it’s their prerogative as to how they run their company and to what markets they target as their prime customers. However, it’s our prerogative as to where we decide spend our hard earned inflated dollars. Deciding whether or not to buy a new ELC jacket won’t be hard decision for me .

johnwayne

Gary Eastman knows he’s in a league of his own in terms of variety, quality, accuracy, turnaround, knowledge and ability when all added together. Imo he’s second only to JC but he can offer so much more so guess he feels he can charge high prices and, prob has an order book that supports such rises.
Raw mat’s have prob increased like everything else and maybe his take is a ‘fixed profit’ although ELC I would have thought more able to absorb costs but, why should they if their clients keep stumping up what they ask for! Supply and demand maybe and yet its still rare to see someone else wearing an A2, G1 or a.n. other flight jacket out and about and, I live in London!!!

B-Man2

Gary Eastman knows he’s in a league of his own in terms of variety, quality, accuracy, turnaround, knowledge and ability when all added together. Imo he’s second only to JC but he can offer so much more so guess he feels he can charge high prices and, prob has an order book that supports such rises.
Raw mat’s have prob increased like everything else and maybe his take is a ‘fixed profit’ although ELC I would have thought more able to absorb costs but, why should they if their clients keep stumping up what they ask for! Supply and demand maybe and yet its still rare to see someone else wearing an A2, G1 or a.n. other flight jacket out and about and, I live in London!!!
I think much of the decision as to whether ELC s pricing is acceptable or not, is contingent upon what side of the ocean you happen to be on and understandably so. If you’re in the UK or EU it just makes sense to look at ELC as the first source of a quality product. On the US side GWs are the better bang for the buck. The considerations being the same for both sides i.e. no import taxes , reduced shipping and insurance, ease of return, and communication. So it makes sense that reducing those costs can save money, sometimes a hundred or so dollars or pounds . So I do get it . I guess it all comes down to if you have the money and that’s not an issue …. Who makes the best product , GW or ELC?
Now that’s an entirely different discussion for another day . ;)

Last edited:

Shropshire-lad

I used to swear by ELC goods and quality and accuracy are very high but, having bought ELC since the mid 80’s I can no longer keep up and justify their prices with my disposable income. I can understand them chasing the money but I am out of that race now. It’s a shame and I am disappointed but I will be looking to AERO in future…. I have one of their M422a’s and find it up there along ELC apart from price!
To each his own - everyone has their favourites and obviously free to spend where they wish and I DO wish Gary and the crew all the very best for their future and openly congratulate them surviving a tough market this far through the upheavals of the last few years. Kudos!

Ian a

They priced me out many, many years ago.

But there's a lot of rich kids in China/Japan/etc who will keep paying these prices so good on ELC for pandering and milking them for everything they're worth.

Me? I'll keep my order with John at GW for a jacket that is made to measure, more accurate than other repros and worth the price of admission.
Hi, forgive me as new, just looking for sellers/makers of jackets, who is John ar GW/, Thanks

SuinBruin

If Eastman were willing to back out the VAT for non-EU sales, that would help make the jackets more attractively priced for those of us in the US, Canada, Australia, etc. But they'd rather reap that unearned 17% profit bump, so screw 'em. The only advantage they offer is instant gratification; if you're willing to wait, GW is a far better product.