• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman Luftwaffe - 50% off @ HPA

ES335

Brown is more authentic. I was tempted by one years ago but I wanted brown which I don't think they sold then and I was put off by the label.

What is the Ostmann label the use now? Anyone know?
It's a very inoffensive "Ostmann" in Gothic-looking script, a red dragon shield, and "Echt Leder Flieger Jacke" over " Eastman Leather Clothing." This die hard fascist-hating liberal would have zero objections to "Luftwaffe."

Last edited:

JonnyCrow

As I said I have objections to bullshit not German labels. It never was an issued Luftwaffe jacket so why the label?
I never fancied one, here in Europe on French selling sites I used to see a lot of very nice French cycling or motor jackets still wearable with that plaid lining, talking of ' luftwaffe ' flight jackets, some of those used in the movie battle of Britain were well known British motorcycle jackets, Goldtop, my first pair of motorcycle boots were British Goldtop :D

ZuZu

It's a very inoffensive "Ostmann" in Gothic-looking script, a red dragon shield, and "Echt Leder Flieger Jacke" over " Eastman Leather Clothing." This die hard fascist-hating liberal would have zero objections to "Luftwaffe."

Anti-fascist liberalism is why the internet is now swept clean of anything even remotely "Nazi" or for that matter anything not maintaining the pardigm of Our Masters. It was the first step in what is now a pervasive propaganda operation all 'round. I remember back in the "old days" when you could find just about anything on the internet- good or bad. Now you don't even find "Luftwaffe" written on a reproduction jacket. Weird times...

Kermit3D

I fully agree with the fact that, historically, a "Luftwaffe" label is meaningless. But... the whole jacket has nothing to do with the Luftwaffe, or even with the 1940's. So one more inconsistency or one less inconsistency doesn't make much difference.
I don't have a problem with it because I really like this jacket (which could eventually be a biker jacket from the 60's-70's). What really bothers me (as it often does with ELC) is their ability to write crap and reinvent history.

Smithy

Late to the party here but I've always thought that the ELC "Luftwaffe" jackets lacked the elegance of the original French designs. It's like those overly lengthened cheap A-2s, they look off. Sorry and not meaning to offend anyone, if you like them, all power to you.

But for me the original French jackets are truly elegant looking things due to the proportions. The ELC ones completely trash those proportions and (for me) the whole shape of the jacket. The only repro I have seen which capture those of the originals are Brice's.

Smithy

Here's an ELC...

02409967-9478-4da1-8fad-9a114fcf4a51-jpeg.319709

Here's one of Brice's...

Ce8q9jD.jpg

bn1966

Brices does look the business & I agree it’s nicely proportioned & elegant.The ELC ‘Luftwaffe’ for me is a great casual jacket for colder weather. I gave the ELC ‘Hartman’ a whirl to try and get more the look and weight that I wanted, failed in that it was longer than desirable and had a very baggy waist. Another thing for me was I would have preferred a different leather to ‘Cape’. Moved it on but kept the ‘Luftwaffe’ for casual winter wear.

ES335

Anti-fascist liberalism is why the internet is now swept clean of anything even remotely "Nazi" or for that matter anything not maintaining the pardigm of Our Masters. It was the first step in what is now a pervasive propaganda operation all 'round. I remember back in the "old days" when you could find just about anything on the internet- good or bad. Now you don't even find "Luftwaffe" written on a reproduction jacket. Weird times...
I'm not at all sure where you're going with your substance free first and second sentences, but rest assured- you can still find any level of extremism and freakishness your heart desires on the interwebs. It's as dirty, kook-friendly and freak-welcoming as ever for like-minded flying monkeys- on either far side of the political spectrum.

Now, I'm speculating the first issue ELC "Luftwaffe" jackets were so labled for purely marketing purposes. As has been established, the kit pictured in period photos was typically locally sourced and based on "French cycling jackets." What ever that encompassed. The rest is marketing, pure and simple. When I get a compliment on my Ostmann and someone then asks "hey, what's that?" my response is it's an ELC Ostmann. Nothing more. To my knowlege, there is no definitive "Luftwaffe figher pilots jacket" to replicate.

Last edited:

Pilot

Last edited:

Wedge417

Joining in late as well...I've never really liked the ELC take on the French cyclist jacket. Like it was said by another member, we used to see quite a few of these about 20 years or so in flee markets in Europe. It used to be a pretty standard design for young fellows in the 1930s. I've almost pushed the buy button but never did as I always thought there was something missing with ELC's.
Seeing as most of the genuine cyclists have all disappeared or are labeled vintage jackets and now attract the hipster mob, it's getting pretty hard to find a decent second hand. Does anybody know of a maker that makes nice repros in Europe?