• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman Leather Clothing - Catalogue 1

Officer Dibley

Sorry to buck the trend but i like it. Some great original pics. You can pay £5+ for a monthly mag’ that is half adverts and thin paper. This has great stuff in it. It’s a brochure like RM but at least i can read the text in this one !
Don’t disagree with the comments on price rises or what we THINK is Gary Eastman’s new business model ( he doesn’t feel the need to comment - wonder why ...).
So don’t buy if you don’t want to but i for one am glad i did.
1959E917-938E-4DC4-86A1-9CC963126EE1.jpeg

Boyo

Whoa, I should check my copy. I didn't notice that. Was it on one of the pages, or just a scrap of paper folded into the magazine?

@mulceber it was a post card with a code printed on it. The code was to be entered into the special instruction box at check out...worked like a charm.

@Officer Dibley I'm with you, It does look very nice and I would like to own a copy, but as has been pointed out by a few others it would have been nice to get the purchase price of the magazine back when/if you purchased a jacket.

mulceber

Sorry to buck the trend but i like it. Some great original pics. You can pay £5+ for a monthly mag’ that is half adverts and thin paper. This has great stuff in it. It’s a brochure like RM but at least i can read the text in this one !
Don’t disagree with the comments on price rises or what we THINK is Gary Eastman’s new business model ( he doesn’t feel the need to comment - wonder why ...).
So don’t buy if you don’t want to but i for one am glad i did

Absolutely fair. I think a lot of us see this paid-for advertisement as part and parcel of deeper issues we have with ELC's new business model, but if you like the magazine, go for it.

@mulceber it was a post card with a code printed on it. The code was to be entered into the special instruction box at check out...worked like a charm

I must have thrown mine out without looking at it. Oh well. Thanks for letting me know.

ausreenactor

And if you’re going to charge for your catalog then why not give something back to your loyal customers?

I got a FREE calendar and subsidized Airmail after a repair, with shipping to and from Simon Williams for the art. Impressed the hell out of me.

17270562_1942878405946718_949314020_n.jpg

B-Man2

and that's the right way to do things...it keeps people coming back, not that his art work doesn't speak for itself, but its just a nice touch.

ausreenactor

How much do you guys pay for an Osprey Book? Near on GBP10? Fifteen for a pretty solid publication surely isn't that bad?

MikeyB-17

Yeah I got the calendar when I sent my A-10 gloves in for new knits. Came back in the nice ELC box too. Dunno if they’ll be giving away fifteen quid’s worth of catalogue though, although if you’re spending the sort of bucks most of their jackets go for these days, you’d think they’d chuck one in.

Smithy

How much do you guys pay for an Osprey Book? Near on GBP10? Fifteen for a pretty solid publication surely isn't that bad?

Problem with that analogy Couchy is the Osprey book isn't trying to flog what's in it. I'd personally ask how objectively accurate the information in the ELC catalogue is.

There's inaccuracies in Osprey books but they come from inaccurate research, lack of evidence and consequently misjudged hypothesis, or outdated information. I'd imagine any inaccuracies in the ELC rag will come from a marketing based position. I bet it doesn't say "original wartime A-2s were chrome tanned and pigment finished unlike ours" ;-)

Officer Dibley

Smithy, you may be right with your “I imagine...” but you can’t be certain - which you should be if casting aspersions against anyone. Also, Gary could be considered an expert equal to most.
As you are exercising your right not to buy, you will never know ! ;) As fir ne, i don’t care, it’s a brochure. Gary did a reference book already.

Last edited:

ausreenactor

It's a product catalogue 100%. Buzz Rickson have never given theirs away either. I am sure it will sell out the first 'edition'. And like the Golden Book people will pay dollars for them down the line.

Smithy

Smithy, you may be right with your “I imagine...” but you can’t be certain - which you should be if casting aspersions against anyone. Also, Gary could be considered an expert equal to most.
As you are exercising your right not to buy, you will never know ! ;)

Thing is at the end of the day it's a product catalogue and product catalogues by their very nature are designed to talk up a company's goods and/or services for the express purpose of driving sales. I've actually authored a few back when I was a marketing and business development manager so I'd be mighty surprised if this ELC catalogue is transparently honest about everything in it.

If it is, then it probably deserves the distinction of being the world's first completely impartial catalogue!