• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman Leather A-2 - Reissue 'Escape A-2'

mulceber

Tim, i don’t think that is ELC work but owner done as i said above....

If that’s true, then the seller greatly misrepresented the item. He says it’s just as he got it: “pristine,” as he calls it. I’m more inclined to believe that Eastman did a bad job of distressing it.

Officer Dibley

We can beg to differ though right ? ;)
For me, it is more likely that the seller is lying than ELC did such a bad job.
I get the feeling that for some folks that the new Eastman business model that has priced us mortals from buying new from them has turned to bitterness and being critical of them at every opportunity.....i see it as helping to stop us buying too many jackets.

mulceber

We can beg to differ though right ? ;)
For me, it is more likely that the seller is lying than ELC did such a bad job.
I get the feeling that for some folks that the new Eastman business model that has priced us mortals from buying new from them has turned to bitterness and being critical of them at every opportunity.....i see it as helping to stop us buying too many jackets.

Definitely fair, and I think you're right that there's a lot of resentment over ELC's pricing that can cause people to think the worst of them. I like to think my opinion on this issue doesn't come from resentment against Eastman, but because I've spent a lot of time over on the Indygear forum, where people do a lot of distressing. It's very hard to do it well, and most attempts to distress an Indiana Jones jacket look over the top and not like something any of us would want to wear. It's really not proof either way - I'm just saying I could easily imagine a jacket maker not being good at doing a subtle job on distressing. But as you said, plenty of room for disagreement on this.

Officer Dibley

I defo wasn’t aiming that remark at yourself mate. :) And i absolutely agree with you that there’s no proof either way. Although are ELC not bound to refund on this specific model of jacket because it has artificial wear on it ? Unlike optional Time Worn, this version comes with ageing

B-Man2

I’m with Dave in this one. I don’t think this is the work of any ELC craftsman, but rather a little embellishment on the part of the seller. Simply look at every “Time Worn” or Hilts reissue A2 you can find photos of and I guarantee you won’t find another like this jacket. Scour the internet but nothing like this from ELC. I’m not an ELC fan but let’s be fair . This wouldn’t get out of their shop looking like this . It’s a bit more than “high point wear” typical of the time worn process ELC utilizes on the .50 cal and time worn finish jackets . Check every jacket in their catalogue .... nope not there.
Like I said not an ELC fan but they are much better than this crap. As usual my disclaimer follows, this is just my opinion and others here may disagree.

jeremiah

Eastman A2 presently at £380 on Ebay. Personally I would not like a jacket like this as I think the aged appearance looks unnatural and I would rather gain character by wearing it over many years.

View attachment 24385
That looks to me like a water stain dye was used atop the undercoat. The water stain won’t sink into the leather like an oil based dye will.
It’s not hard to run off with some elbow grease.
Could even be an antique dye.

Garylafortuna

A little brown pigmented Pecards would turn this potentially beautiful A-2 into a jewel. Looks like the folks doing the bidding are not reading this thread. What the sam scratch is wrong with these people.

Silver Surfer

i reckon that the best bet with this one is to strip the dye down as far as you can go, and then redye it ala jeremiah. what i have seen of his work is its as good as it gets, bar none.

mulceber

A little brown pigmented Pecards would turn this potentially beautiful A-2 into a jewel. Looks like the folks doing the bidding are not reading this thread. What the sam scratch is wrong with these people.

Or, from what Jeremiah said, just use a little elbow grease and remove the crappy, water-based dye they used to distress it. It’d be back to looking like a normal reissue, which has its charms.

But yeah, you could just redye it completely.

ausreenactor

They are getting their gear set up for a redye and a quick 'flip' as jacket season approaches.

Changeling

Ended at £560 + postage. Wish I had that to spend on some nice jacket but then I have only just bought one.