• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman Leather A-2 - Reissue 'Escape A-2'

B-Man2

Just wanted to post what I remember discussing here in previous years about the Escape jacket. I’m pretty sure that the GoodWear posted above was not originally made to replicate an Escape jacket, but was a jacket made by John for a fellow who wore it for a number of years and under all sorts of conditions and left it sit in the dash board window of his vehicle to let the sun fade it and age it. The collar shredding was simply from wear . It was posted to show how accurately Johns jackets were made and how with time they were almost indistinguishable from originals. Now it’s been a while since that was posted but that’s how I recall the discussion. I also remember several postings that stated that the original Hilts jacket was actually a surplus A2 that was purchased from a commercial source such as a vintage or military surplus store and enhanced a bit by Hollywood . Hopefully someone can find those threads if they want more information .
Cheers

Brettafett

I recall reading a lot of threads over the years about Hilts' jacket. I am under correction, but I'm fairly sure it was ascertained to be an original WW2 re-issue Roughwear 16159. Apparently in some Japanese collection now.
Which makes sense, since ELC changed their jacket to a 16159 not too long ago.
Back in 2002/3 I bought a RW 27752 from ELC with the Hilt's name tag and shoulder decal, trying to make a Hilt's jacket. back then it was sold in Japan as the 'Escape' model. But did not satisfy. Weird fit and didn't look quite right.
They've come along way since then.

mulceber

Do we know on what grounds it was decided to be a 16159 as opposed to a 27752? This is something that's puzzled me for a while.

2BM2K

Gary Eastman identified it as a RW16159 from photo's.

Heisenberg

Soon , i will contact john to make me an exact replica for the Reissue " escape A-2 "
(I will allow time ... no " time worn " ) . I am not in a hurry ...
John must know which is the right A-2 Roughwear model .

CoopDog

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but it is unlikely that a pilot who had been a POW as long as Hilts (remember, he had many prior escapes and they worked on the plan for a long time before the date of his escape), would have had the "Army Air Forces" decal on the left shoulder of his A-2. The actual Great Escape was in March, 1944 and "Hilts" had been in the bag for a very long time before that. They would not have been applying those decals at the time he got his jacket. Just sayin'

mulceber

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but it is unlikely that a pilot who had been a POW as long as Hilts (remember, he had many prior escapes and they worked on the plan for a long time before the date of his escape), would have had the "Army Air Forces" decal on the left shoulder of his A-2. The actual Great Escape was in March, 1944 and "Hilts" had been in the bag for a very long time before that. They would not have been applying those decals at the time he got his jacket. Just sayin'

It’s also unlikely he would have had a re-dye, as that didn’t start until late ‘43 or early ‘44, if I recall correctly.

Persimmon

Contact him through the Five Star web site and tell him you are from VLJ forum for a discount.

FIVESTAR LEATHER Co. ( Head Office )
DEFENCE ROAD,RORAS ROAD SQUARE
51310 Sialkot, PAKISTAN.
Tel, WhatsApp, Wechat: +92 333 6656167
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.fivestarleather.us
Just wanted to post what I remember discussing here in previous years about the Escape jacket. I’m pretty sure that the GoodWear posted above was not originally made to replicate an Escape jacket, but was a jacket made by John for a fellow who wore it for a number of years and under all sorts of conditions and left it sit in the dash board window of his vehicle to let the sun fade it and age it. The collar shredding was simply from wear . It was posted to show how accurately Johns jackets were made and how with time they were almost indistinguishable from originals. Now it’s been a while since that was posted but that’s how I recall the discussion. I also remember several postings that stated that the original Hilts jacket was actually a surplus A2 that was purchased from a commercial source such as a vintage or military surplus store and enhanced a bit by Hollywood . Hopefully someone can find those threads if they want more information .
Cheers

Robin

CoopDog

what is the exact year of the AAF shoulder decal ?

This from another post:

“I was just talking with John about my Dubow 20960, soon to arrive, and about the AAF shoulder decal I was interested in getting. What he said was that they were a late-war thing-- required to be applied after August 1944, I think he said-- and were only applied to A-2s that went through the depot refurbishing.”

Heisenberg

This from another post:

“I was just talking with John about my Dubow 20960, soon to arrive, and about the AAF shoulder decal I was interested in getting. What he said was that they were a late-war thing-- required to be applied after August 1944, I think he said-- and were only applied to A-2s that went through the depot refurbishing.”

john and a original B-3 with the AAF decal ...

CoopDog

why we see it AAF decal on the B-3 and - B-10 jackets 1943 first manufacturing - ?

According the Acme Depot website regrding the AAF decal:

"The application of this insignia on clothing and other flying equipment was specified in Technical Order No. 13-1-12, dated February 1, 1944. Insignia were then applied both to new items and to used items, such as many A-2 jackets, which were either reissued or refurbished."

Heisenberg

According the Acme Depot website regrding the AAF decal:

"The application of this insignia on clothing and other flying equipment was specified in Technical Order No. 13-1-12, dated February 1, 1944. Insignia were then applied both to new items and to used items, such as many A-2 jackets, which were either reissued or refurbished."

ok ...

Dario G.

Small analysis: 1) It is curious to note how the wool of the cuffs is immaculate. 2) The writings on the front and on the left arm show no signs of wear. 3) The abrasion on the left pocket did not wear out the seams in the least. 4) The collar is intact and not worn as it should be.

Attachments

• east 1.jpg
    east 1.jpg
    515 KB · Views: 459

mulceber

Small analysis: 1) It is curious to note how the wool of the cuffs is immaculate. 2) The writings on the front and on the left arm show no signs of wear. 3) The abrasion on the left pocket did not wear out the seams in the least. 4) The collar is intact and not worn as it should be.

All the result of artificial aging. It never looks quite right.

Members online

Latest posts