• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman G-1

Rowan Moffitt

Guys,
I'd welcome comments from anyone familiar with Gary Eastman's current G-1 offering, which I'm considering buying....

Rowan Moffitt

Authenticity as an early G-1 (I'd consider an M-422a) is probably the primary objective, then quality. Durability will follow from that. Value for money - not so much cost but is the quality worth the cost. I don't expect to be hard to fit based on experience.

Smithy

Eastman make fantastic and authentic flying jackets Rowan. In terms of a G-1 though, you can still pick up excellent original examples for good money and even those with real mouton collars.

If you have your heart set on an ELC go for it but if you're open to suggestions don't rule out an original G-1 either. You might even save a few pennies in the process.

Nice MG in your avatar by the way, TC is it?

Cheers and welcome btw,

Tim

CBI

Hello Rowen - as I always say, consider an original G-1, there are loads out there, might as well get the real thing for MUCH less$ Unless you (or anyone) is an odd size, I don't really understand why someone wouldn't buy an original - with real G-1's being so plentiful and inexpensive?????

Grant

Hi Roan,
If you're looking for a great reproduction of the 55J14 G-1, Eastman makes a solid repro. I recently picked one up and was pleased with the overall goatskin, mouton, lining and knits. It fits nice and trim just like my original.
Original 55J14's in good condition in a large size are difficult to find. If you're willing to settle with a later 7823 series G-1, they're much more common and less expensive.

I prefer knocking around in my ELC 55J14 and not having to worry about wear and tear on the originals.

CBI

I would worry too much about wearing an original G-1, there are so many around. A 55J14 is different as I thought a straight G-1 repro is what Rowen was looking for. I guess ELC doesn't make that (a standard G-1). On the other had there is VERY little differences between a 55J14 and a standard issue G-1 (through the Vietnam era) so it might still be a great option. Wow an ELC is $930 and a real G-1 on eBay is anywhere from $200 to $500 for the real deal. Whatever works for you..............

Rowan Moffitt

Thanks very much guys - really helpful stuff. I have looked a bit at originals but I guess my concerns have been getting a good size/fit and the unknowns of eBay. But even if I miss I can still get something like three originals for one ELC!

Any suggested sites apart from eBay?

And yes, MG TC - 1947 and pristine ground up rebuild (done superbly, not by me I hasten to add). And no, I would not sell her - why would I when every time I park her somewhere people like that want to be photographed with her. They're not mine sadly....

Garylafortuna

If you are looking for the exact measurements of the Eastman jackets, you will find them on the History Preservation Associates website. History Preservation
I have an M-422A on order from Eastman. Can't wait for it to arrive.

colekwok

I own an ELC G-1 as well two original ones from the later periods. If you want a spanking new early contract G-1, ELC is probably the best available. The goat skin is very very durable and soft, and you do not get the 'broken-in' feel even if you have worn it for a few years because it still looks brand new (except for the single layered knits.....).

There are other options of course, there are the Made in USA ones from CockpitUSA and US Authentic, which are still excellent, but that they may not be very very authentic if that is your priority. In case if you want the top end stuffs, the trio from Japan, Rainbow Country, Toy McCoy's and Real McCoy's also make G-1s, which are based on the same contract that ELC offers, but I am not sure whether they are really better apart from the aura of Japanese craftsmanships. I am not sure if we have any fellow members here who have actually tried them out.

Marv

I have an Eastman G1 which is around 10 years old and it's still going strong, goatskin is still amazing and knits, zipper are in full working order.

The current ELC G1 has had the pattern slightly changed to make it a little more authentic and at present are probably using some of the best mouton so far.

I purchased a ELC B-10 at the begining of last year, the mouton is just fantastic and still looks great nearly a year on.

MikeyB-17

The only thing I would say about original vs. new repro is that most originals look 'used' these days after 50+ years, however well preserved. That's good for most of us, but if you don't want to go around wearing an obviously used jacket, repro may be the way to go. There's a big difference aesthetically between a 40's/50's/60's issued G-1 and a new ELC. I do agree though that you can get a pretty fine original for way less than the top end repro boys are charging.

Skyhawk

Looks really nice!! Cagleco used angled pocket flaps like that on some of their 1950's G-1 contracts.

Rowan Moffitt

Yeah, it sure looks great - I saw one some time ago which is what prompted my interest in the ELC G-1 in the first place. Must say I was a bit worried about colekwok's comment about single layered knits and I recall the one I saw having knits, especially the waistband, that were pretty thin. Has that been an issue so far for you and as you beat the shit out of it, do you think it might be?

Grant

Just compared the knits to several original USN jackets (WWII G&F, W&G, H&L Block M-422a's and Korean War era 55J14 and 7823 G-1's). The knits are slightly lighter weight compared to M-422a knits, but almost identical to the G-1 knits. I'll try and update how the knits are holding up as the jacket get's worn!

For what it's worth, of all the USN jackets, H&L Block appears to have the thickest, most robust knits.