• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman G-1 jacket

Micawber

I've had a number of original G1's in the past and I think I vaguely recall at least one M-422a too. While comfortable and practical I have never got the same buzz as I did from other WW2 jackets .... although I don't really understand why. For that reason I doubt I would go out of my way to buy a an original or repro U.S navy jacket now.

That ELC M-422a should have been a keeper Brett.

Skanstull

I am one of those fools who've bought a brand new ELC 55J14 for the current price and I don't regret it for a second. I love it. I agree the hide is on the thinner side but for me that is not a disadvantage. It is extremly comfortable, with the rayon lining, the action back (?), and the soft goatskin. I also think the look works very well with contemporary clothing - it doesn't look vintage in the same way an A-2 does, IMO. The slightly longer jacket length also helps with this.
ELC G1.jpg

ZuZu

Have to disagree on this. No current repro beats an original G-1 type jacket and they can be had for much leass. This is a Cagleco I had 'til about 6 months ago. It looked almost new- and was totally wearable- for $450. I currently own 2 G-1 55j14 repros- made in the 50s! I ahve 2 FECs which are Stars- I got them both for 1/3 the price of a repro. Eastman doesn't use the correct mouton and the collar is a caricature. Get the real thing I say!

Grant

Hey Jeff, could agree more that an original is the way to go, but foolishly sold a Star 55J14 and haven't found another in years of searching. Original 7823 series G-1's are much easier to come by.

ZuZu

Hey Jeff, could agree more that an original is the way to go, but foolishly sold a Star 55J14 and haven't found another in years of searching. Original 7823 series G-1's are much easier to come by.

Grant- If you like Stars then an FEC 55j14 or G-1 is the way to go. Same leather same mouton same everything except many have a goofy brown painted Talon. They also don’t have the USN marking on the collar. They are 100% a Star G-1. Supposedly they were PX jackets but I’m sure you guys have discussed these many times. I have gotten 3 in the last 5 years that were virtually new. The problem IMO with repros is the mouton and the price. GW uses vintage mouton but I don’t think Eastman does.

ZuZu

The Flying Equipment Company G-1s are 50s G-1s. The very late ones have hints of the curved instead of scalloped pockets but they all have that beautiful Star 55j14 shape and collar. Not like a 60s Star.

B-Man2

Original G-1's are great value for the money, as well as a better fitting jacket however, I don't think they will ever out pace the A2 jacket. The style of an A2 is timeless and hell they just look cool. Kind of weird that the G-1 is the better jacket all the way around, but the A2 has "the look".

Grant

Yeah, used to own a FEC G-1 and their goatskin A-2, both cheap flea market finds. They had 50's Talon zips which bugged me, so sold them on. Vintage sellers used to price them original military issue. Haha!

Thomas Koehle

LOL, welcome to the addiction!
USN M-422a's and G-1 series jackets are definitely more comfortable and practical than an A-2.
I'm always amazed that original WWII USN jacs sell for far less than original A-2's.

Always enjoy the more moving space you got in a G1/M422 compared to A2's in the same size - those NAVY-Designers got the better eye for what is practicable and also Looks more decent like the airforce guys imho ...

Smithy

I'm with the other guys, those originals look a lot better than the ELC version and for a fraction of the price. Why pay the ripoff price of a grand for one of those when you can get the real deal for so much less. Dmitry hit the nail on the head with his one!

Grant

IMHO, it depends on your size, but original 7823 series G-1's are quite common, M422a's are out there and 55J14's are the toughest to find in good condition. I've had good luck at flea markets and with vintage dealers.

Till I come across an original 55J14, I'm quite happy beating up my ELC.