• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman Elite Dubow

ZuZu

I took a look at this Eastman product which I'm sure all of you know about: https://www.eastmanleather.com/type-95th-bomb-group-p-497.html . Looks pretty good to me however there are a couple of nits to pick out. Almost every Dubow I've ever seen has round reinforcements behind the pocket snaps which gives originals a distinct look- a kind of weird goggle eyed look to the pocket:

I don't see this on the Eastman- They have put in the leather reinforcements but they are square- kind of a rookie mistake for a Dubow maker:

I also find that the pockets are just a smidge too far apart and a tiny bit small. Like I said- nits!
I am impressed with the effort Eastman is making to copy individual jackets- an idea which can benefit "authenticity" because of the intense scrutiny necessary.

Finaly- to be honest- and this is ironic coming from me after all the whining I did back in the old days about smooth leather- I find that this "war torn" or whatever leather Eastman uses to be just a bit much- there is a kind of horror vacue present which is just too busy- no smooth leather on a repro is also a problem IMO.
I'm sure you all will let me know what you think...

Attachments

• dubow_pock1 (1).jpg
    dubow_pock1 (1).jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 159

B-Man2

Seriously “Zu” what did you expect for the meager price of only $2461.00, Perfection ??
;)
Honestly, I gave up on ELC after their third price increase within the same year. No doubt they are a tier 1 jacket maker and if you can plop down 1899.99 BPS then go for it. Interesting enough you passed over the one thing that makes me nuts about ELC A2’s . That’s the knits. Always thought that they were the cheapest part of the jacket and didn’t hold up well over time.
cheers

foster

I gave up on ELC when I got into the details of their Rough Wear 27752. The epaulettes just didn’t do it for me. I still have one of their B-10 jackets but that’s it. All the other jackets of theirs I owned have new homes.

saucerfiend

I gave up on ELC when I got into the details of their Rough Wear 27752. The epaulettes just didn’t do it for me. I still have one of their B-10 jackets but that’s it. All the other jackets of theirs I owned have new homes.
I've always had problems with their patterns. If you look at the photos of originals and their copies on their site, There always seems to be an obvious difference. You think they would see it.

Brian

ausreenactor

I have had three early GWs and the individual flaws saw them all moved on. Only have the two ELC A-2s and two B-3s but more than happy with them.

ZuZu

Many had round reinforcements- I'll go through my Dubow stash and post some more pics... in the meantime- the Acme Depot pocket...

Serghei87

Seriously “Zu” what did you expect for the meager price of only $2461.00, Perfection ??
;)
Honestly, I gave up on ELC after their third price increase within the same year. No doubt they are a tier 1 jacket maker and if you can plop down 1899.99 BPS then go for it. Interesting enough you passed over the one thing that makes me nuts about ELC A2’s . That’s the knits. Always thought that they were the cheapest part of the jacket and didn’t hold up well over time.
cheers
They confirmed me at the Pop Up that next year will be another increase

Brettafett

I got a close-up of that jacket a couple of times. It is nice, it looks great, but for a Dubow repro... Platon's is a better rendition at a fraction of the cost!
One can nit-pick the details of all the top-tier maker's jackets, sure. I don't like the pocket flaps, seem over-scalloped to me. Anyway...
I asked Gary again if I could try it on, received a lovely grin and a very polite, "no". :)

foster

I had a look at my DD DuBow. Seems like round reinforcement on the pocket flap snaps, but since it is not much larger than the dome head of the snap, it isn't very obvious. Tried taking photos but they don't show. Had to feel them with fingertips to know they were there, and round (to the best that I could tell).