• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EASTMAN DUBOW

Smithy

Anyone quibbling over the $50 difference between an ELC and a GW needs to shoosh up....

There is a bit of a difference though Couchy.

The GW is made to the individual customer's measurements with customisation and choices of hide, hardware and thread. An Eastman is essentially off the rack. Not that there's anything wrong with that but equating off the rack with made to measure is a bit silly.

ausreenactor

There is a bit of a difference though Couchy.

The GW is made to the individual customer's measurements with customisation and choices of hide, hardware and thread. An Eastman is essentially off the rack. Not that there's anything wrong with that but equating off the rack with made to measure is a bit silly.
Off the rack is how they came... ELC are 'originaller'.

Chandler

They also were made in a wide variety of leathers and colors, and sizing was highly irregular, even within a single contract. So I don’t think off the rack can really be called more authentic.
Depends, I've had, and have, ELC jackets labeled as the same size, but fit completely different! ;)

That said, I have one GW sized as a 46 that fits smaller than my ELC 44.

Another ELC in my possession is also a custom-sized jacket, made-to-order, so ELC is known to work that way -- at least one point in time.

Maybe they're both as original as 1941.

mulceber

Depends, I've had, and have, ELC jackets labeled as the same size, but fit completely different! ;)

That said, I have one GW sized as a 46 that fits smaller than my ELC 44.

Another ELC in my possession is also a custom-sized jacket, made-to-order, so ELC is known to work that way -- at least one point in time.

Maybe they're both as original as 1941.

Are you sure that's not due to shrinkage over time? Victoria tannery stretches their horsehide as part of the tanning process in order to get the most bang for their buck, so jackets made using leather from that tannery shrink with use. Either way, I think Tim's point is right - comparing an off-the-rack jacket to a custom-made jacket is apples and oranges.

Last edited:

Grant

Ok, here are some quick photos trying not to freeze my ass off. The third pic is how it was worn most of the day! Haha!
This Dubow fits me larger than many of my other Eastman's so is very comfortable. The color of the hides is elusive as in some light it's much warmer and lighter, and in others is darker in color. I'm so grateful I have John's old B-3 to keep me warm. p.s. sorry about the crazy hat head hair!

D1.jpg
D2.jpg
D3A.jpg

Chandler

Are you sure that's not due to shrinkage over time? Victoria tannery stretches their horsehide as part of the tanning process in order to get the most bang for their buck, so jackets made using leather from that tannery shrink with use.
All three jackets fit me the same as when I first acquired them; no stretching or shrinking of any significance.

FWIW -- the GW is an early production piece from John and made from locally sourced steerhide. The ELC 44 Star is probably steerhide as well, but I can't tell you the leather source -- and the same with the HH 44 RW 27752 I owned.

I think it's all a question of the cut & construction of my 3 pieces that makes the differences between them -- whether intentional to the copied jacket manufacturer or not is hard to determine.
Either way, I think Tim's point is right - comparing an off-the-rack jacket to a custom-made jacket is apples and oranges.
Probably so in the past, but who knows? Maybe ELC is evolving some?

Last edited:

ausreenactor

All three jackets fit me the same as when I first acquired them; no stretching or shrinking of any significance.

FWIW -- the GW is an early production piece from John and made from locally sourced steerhide.

I think the it's all a question of the cut & construction of my 3 pieces that makes the differences between them -- whether intentional to the copied jacket manufacturer or not is hard to determine.

Probably so in the past, but who knows? Maybe ELC is evolving some?
Is? Have been for a while. You can see them on FB on the ELC pages and USAAF pages. My Monarch, via Vic, is my favourite wearer.

saucerfiend

Ok, here are some quick photos trying not to freeze my ass off. The third pic is how it was worn most of the day! Haha!
This Dubow fits me larger than many of my other Eastman's so is very comfortable. The color of the hides is elusive as in some light it's much warmer and lighter, and in others is darker in color. I'm so grateful I have John's old B-3 to keep me warm. p.s. sorry about the crazy hat head hair!

View attachment 73467View attachment 73468View attachment 73469
Grant, that looks like a great fit to me. Thanks for freezing you butt off! Enjoy it!

bseal

View attachment 73467View attachment 73468View attachment 73469

Beat the shit out of it.