• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman B-3 sizing with measurements?

FreddyF9

Hello everyone,
since Eastman’s prices keeps increasing, I was considering to buy one of their B-3s after years of hesitation.
Since I couldn’t find an accurate size chart, I ask if some fellow member with a Eastman B-3, could please share it’s measurements with me (chest pit to pit, back length, shoulders width and sleeve length). My suggested size by the website is 40, but also getting the measurements of a size 38 would be perfect to find the perfect fit for me. The one I’m more interested in is the standard Eastman one but also the Werber looks good…
Have a good day everyone!

Silver Surfer

You should first consider, wearing it with a sweater or some such underneath, or just a shirt. Remember, any measurement given must be taking into account of 3/4” shearling fur through out. Slightly bigger is way better that slightly smaller. Some of the geniuses here would be more able to help if you would post your weight, and height.

FreddyF9

Thank you very much for your answers, actually, I forgot to mention that I wrote to Eastman’s customer service and I was able to obtain the size chart of a RW B-3 (the only size 40 jacket in stock at the time) even if the guy that replied me admitted that it’s measurements might be different from the standard one. If I compare the measurements given to me to the ones on History Preservation Associated (excellent website btw), they’re different. Chest size and shoulders are the same as HPA’s website but, sleeves length and back length are different. In the mail, the sleeves length is said to be 23 inches, while on HPA’s website is 24,5 inches; while the back length on the mail is 26 instead of 24,5 inches.
The back length is what I scares me more, since 26 inches it would be too long for my height and Eastman’s guy said that the RW is as long as the standard one.
Thank you guys again!

FreddyF9

You should first consider, wearing it with a sweater or some such underneath, or just a shirt. Remember, any measurement given must be taking into account of 3/4” shearling fur through out. Slightly bigger is way better that slightly smaller. Some of the geniuses here would be more able to help if you would post your weight, and height.
You’re totally right, I always take in consideration to put few layers under my jackets. If Eastman’s B-3 in size 40 has really a 23 inches chest (pit to pit), for me would be perfect!
I’m 175 cm tall (5 foot 9 inches)
And my weight is 70 kg (154 pounds)

mulceber

You’re totally right, I always take in consideration to put few layers under my jackets. If Eastman’s B-3 in size 40 has really a 23 inches chest (pit to pit), for me would be perfect!
I’m 175 cm tall (5 foot 9 inches)
And my weight is 70 kg (154 pounds)
What's your chest measurement?

FreddyF9

Go with the 40. If your intent is to layer, (ya really don’t need a sweater when wearing a b-3, as they are toasty without), than ya might even consider a size 42.
Yeah, usually under very warm jackets I wear a tee and a light pullover. Being able to wear a thick jumper (IMO) should always be an option, otherwise I consider the jacket too small for me.
If the chest measure of size 40 is confirmed, than it would be perfect for me, if it’s not too long…

Solstice

I picked up a size 40 Eastman cal 50 B3 2nd hand a while back, was a bit nervous as it was bought at distance, my actual chest measurement is 42, it is snug with a thick pullover but fine with a T shirt (and to be honest it’s plenty warm enough most of the time worn that way).
if you measure 40 I think that would be a generous fit and 38 would be a T shirt fit.

A2 B3au

If you’re in Ealing I’ve got a 38 u can try for size. I’m a 40 in all my jackets and a 40 in a B3 is perfect but a 38 is a bit uncomfortable if fully strapped up at the collar. I’ve only got 1 other B3 currently in a 40 and it’s an Eastman. Like I said your welcome to try mine on if your near me

FreddyF9

If you’re in Ealing I’ve got a 38 u can try for size. I’m a 40 in all my jackets and a 40 in a B3 is perfect but a 38 is a bit uncomfortable if fully strapped up at the collar. I’ve only got 1 other B3 currently in a 40 and it’s an Eastman. Like I said your welcome to try mine on if your near me
Dear Art, thank you very much for your offer, I would have accepted but, sadly we live too far apart, since I’m in Italy.
If it’s not too much trouble for you, could you please give me few measurements of your two B-3s?
Thank you very much again and have a good day!

Last edited:

Greg Gale

Let me reformulate the original question a bit.

With A-2s I know exactly what p2p and shpulder measurements I need, how much extra is needed in the chest compared to my chest measurement.

However with B-3s, I have no idea how thick the sheepskin is, and how much extra should one allow for that? Is there a rule of thumb here? Those who own both, How much wider is your B-3 than your A-2’s chest?

mulceber

Let me reformulate the original question a bit.

With A-2s I know exactly what p2p and shpulder measurements I need, how much extra is needed in the chest compared to my chest measurement.

However with B-3s, I have no idea how thick the sheepskin is, and how much extra should one allow for that? Is there a rule of thumb here? Those who own both, How much wider is your B-3 than your A-2’s chest?
My rule of thumb:
  • A-2s: the pit-to-pit should be 2-3 inches bigger than half your chest circumference: my chest measurement is 40 inches, so I need a pit-to-pit of 22-23 inches.
  • B-3s: the pit-to-pit should be 4-4.5 inches bigger than half your chest circumference.

D97x7

The B-3 underneath the A-2 is 6 inches wider, both are a size 46 and both allow for layering on my 43 inch frame. The
A-2 is a 5*Dubow the B-3 is an Eastman Roughwear, I'm must admit I thought the A-2 would be a little wider. So my advice wouldn't be at least 5 inches wider than an A-2 for a B-3.
IMG_20230721_142518.jpg

Actually as above, 4 inches will work if you're not doing much layering.

B-Man2

Greg
All good advice from D97x7 and Jan.
Let me add one thought… if you do have to layer under your B-3 , it’s going to take a pretty cold day for you to need to do that. I’ve worn my B-3 in 10F or -12.2C degrees with just a long sleeved shirt and was fine.
Even wearing just that , the B-3 had to come off every time I entered a building or a mall, and then you have to carry this big bulky jacket around with you until you’re ready to go back outside.