• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EASTMAN AT 910.00 WORTH IT ?

Dr H

It's a jacket pattern that is growing on me increasingly with the 30s styling, but emphatically not worth $910...

Hey, I haven't bought a jacket for a long time, so I decided to treat myself....yet I lost out at $1156.76! I should have gone to $1256, but I tried to snipe, so that's the price you pay. Once in a while there's something that you gotta have, and after staring and trying on all sorts of A-2's over the last decade you know it when you see it! All I can say is congratulations to Grant for having set the new land speed record on repro's and same to Gary for making something that sold for MORE than its original price (including shipping from England!!)! Maybe, he'll make me one just like it?? In any case, I guess that's why a Van Gogh can go for $40M once in a while...it's art and no longer just a painting! Of course, that being said, I don't feel nearly as bad to be on the losing end of something that went for well beyond it's "rational" value, but I was not the one that drove it up to $910, so there were at least 3 or 4 of us who the jacket resonated with! Does anyone know Gary and can you guys let him know? :D

B-Man2

SOLD FOR $1,181.76!!!!

Am I missing something with this jacket?
This has got to be an all time record for an Eastman Repro.....

B-Man2

I wish it were a 42.
I would have traded it for the ANJ4 Jacket you showed me that day in Boca. I always kicked myself for not taking your offer that day. :x

767fo

prostaff4ever said:
I would do it if it were in a size 42 and had the same everything as Grant's!

What did this jacket have that was different then the other Eastman Werbers? Thanks

Yeah, that one got sold the following week for $1600, but it was well worth it as you know! :)

I've had this Eastman '33 contract in a timeworn size 40, which was a tad short and didn't quite have the grain or the narrow cut at the waist as Grant's and then I also had another in a size 38, which must have been one of the earlier ones in the production run, as the size 42 was. That hide felt very soft and pliable, which at the time I didn't particularly care for, but have now developed somewhat of a liking towards. That size 38 was far too small though, so this one would have fit perfectly. I've got a couple of John Chapman's Muroc Gunnery Camp pics and I'm pretty sure that quite a few of the pilots have the '33 Werber and it's definitely obvious that both the SAT and the Werber A-2's are made out of very soft and pliable leather with a very drape-like quality...in fact even more so than this Eastman, but it's the closest I've seen in a repro so far. In any case, it really sang to me--the whole package. What else can I say? ;)

767fo

prostaff4ever said:
Yeah, that one got sold the following week for $1600, but it was well worth it as you know! :)

I've had this Eastman '33 contract in a timeworn size 40, which was a tad short and didn't quite have the grain or the narrow cut at the waist as Grant's and then I also had another in a size 38, which must have been one of the earlier ones in the production run, as the size 42 was. That hide felt very soft and pliable, which at the time I didn't particularly care for, but have now developed somewhat of a liking towards. That size 38 was far too small though, so this one would have fit perfectly. I've got a couple of John Chapman's Muroc Gunnery Camp pics and I'm pretty sure that quite a few of the pilots have the '33 Werber and it's definitely obvious that both the SAT and the Werber A-2's are made out of very soft and pliable leather with a very drape-like quality...in fact even more so than this Eastman, but it's the closest I've seen in a repro so far. In any case, it really sang to me--the whole package. What else can I say? ;)

I can understand what you are saying about the soft hide. I had two of them that we're like cardboard and if one of them was pliable I would have kept it. Thanks

ausreenactor

A snipe gone awry and the 14 bidder will not pay.
This has ruined an auction. I had a similar thing with my ELC Trial Warhorse. It went for
over $900 and the bidder never paid after I said I was shipping Registered at my expense.
Unfortunately we cant dive into their pockets. I feel for the seller.

Couchy

Jeff M

ausreenactor said:
This has ruined an auction. I had a similar thing with my ELC Trial Warhorse. It went for
over $900 and the bidder never paid after I said I was shipping Registered at my expense.

Couchy

Couchy, what happened here?
I'm still learning about eBay.

How can you tell the final bidder wouldn't pay?

Also...why would somebody bid such a high bid at the last moment ("sniping", I understand it) and then not complete the purchase? Were they trying to screw up this guy's auction?
Was this a shill trying to raise the profit even further...and nobody bit that high? :?:

ausreenactor

Who knows? The guy might be happy to pay $1100 plus for the jacket. The way to watch it is
via the sellers feedback. Click on the feedback left for others. 14 will move to 15, or more if he
is bidding on other stuff and paying. The next week will show...or a relist will..Second Chance
Offer would get knocked back by the under bidder for $1100 plus. You would chance it again
in a relist. That is what I would do, but I gave up at $385...

I admit I am getting cynical as I deal with some real bell ends as I move up the ranks, but it
happened to me late last year. $910 for an ELC Horsehide. Most people dont pay more than retail?
Under bidder snapped it up at a greatly reduced price.

If two snipers hit at the last minute with 'win or die' bids then the higher bid pays a hefty sum.
Sniping is a legit bid, and a good tactic. But it can bite you.

Couchy

m444uk

ausreenactor said:

Couchy

Are you Nostradamus ?

This scenario would certainly be interesting for me. I just checked my archive of sold jackets and I have had an ELC Werber in a size 38, 40 AND 44 (they were all of the same run made by ELC from number 22 to 68). I didn't even remember the size 44 at the time I was bidding, but apparently I had to fill the emotional hole. I guess I would have another shot at it if the seller indeed did not pay, but I've known Grant (seller) for quite a few years and I'm sure he wouldn't be shilling. In any case, shilling above retail price would defeat the whole purpose unless he really didn't intend on selling the jacket in the first place, but I was in communication with him during the auction's run and I know he was motivated to sell. The winning bidder entered his bid at least two days prior to the auction's end, so his was a very strong bid from the very start. I guess we'll see what happens and I can only wait. If Couchy is indeed correct, then I was lucky to have mucked up the sniping because I would certainly have made good on the payment side! Whew!

ButteMT61

m444uk said:
ausreenactor said:

Couchy

Are you Nostradamus ?

You don't need to be if you have a lot of years on eBay. I bet the same will happen with the Aero I was watching last week. A buyer with "1" feedback bid the hell out of it. I can almost guarantee it's coming back to eBay soon...

All appropriate feedbacks posted to both buyer and seller's accounts, so all was legitimate. It seems the buyer might be a bit new to this hobby and didn't show the restraint of someone who has been doing this for a while, but then again, neither did I! ;)

ButteMT61

prostaff4ever said:
All appropriate feedbacks posted to both buyer and seller's accounts, so all was legitimate. It seems the buyer might be a bit new to this hobby and didn't show the restraint of someone who has been doing this for a while, but then again, neither did I! ;)

Glad the last two "questionable" auctions turned out OK. However, it's open notice to folks to always be careful. More often than not, if it quacks like a duck...

m444uk

ausreenactor said:

Couchy

Well, the winner did pay and you look rather silly calling Grant's auction ruined !