• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman A-2 Collection

gomez

http://cgi.ebay.com/FLIGHT-JACKET-USAAF ... NG-JACKET-

This guy has two Eastman Star Sportswear repros in 42R and a third, I think its a 'house' A-2 listed for weeks. With a BIN and starting bid at 600 bucks they're not moving. These jackets appear to be mint but what are they really worth? I was considering making the seller an offer on one as they just get relisted without bids- Anyone know anything or have any suggestions?

zoomer

IIRC, he had one of the Eastmans up several months ago at Buy It Now, with a strongly worded notice against dickering because he'd happily keep the jackets if he didn't get his price.

If one of these were a 44 I might consider jumping on it - ELC 42s tend to run short on me.

Roughwear

I think the BIN is reasonable when you take into account the original price. I am surprised they are still for sale, but perhaps people are saving their money to buy one of John's excellent repros instead! :lol:

spitfire

Roughwear said:
I think the BIN is reasonable when you take into account the original price. I am surprised they are still for sale, but perhaps people are saving their money to buy one of John's excellent repros instead! :lol:

I think you may have hit the nail on the head there Andrew.every one use to talk about how much they desperately wanted an eastman A2 jacket,and forums were full of chit chat about them.prices on ebay for a very well used eastman A2 use to hit £250 - £300.00.now,people can't seem to sell them at all,ever since John Lever started to expose his * goodies * to the world :eek: :shock: ;)
I must confess,i use to desperately want an eastman A2 jacket,but after seeing John's wares,it is seriously difficult for me to look at an eastman A2 now,without comparing them to the goodwears.It's like the old saying goes: '' once you've seen and tasted all the sweets in a sweet shop,it's difficult to go back to only buying a bag of humbugs ''.
Personally,i may buy one of the cheap ebay eastman A2'a,even the BIN £149.00 with the filthy lining,noone wants,simply because that price range is all i can afford. :cry: :)

Roughwear

spitfire said:
Roughwear said:

I think you may have hit the nail on the head there Andrew.every one use to talk about how much they desperately wanted an eastman A2 jacket,and forums were full of chit chat about them.prices on ebay for a very well used eastman A2 use to hit £250 - £300.00.now,people can't seem to sell them at all,ever since John Lever started to expose his * goodies * to the world :eek: :shock: ;)
I must confess,i use to desperately want an eastman A2 jacket,but after seeing John's wares,it is seriously difficult for me to look at an eastman A2 now,without comparing them to the goodwears.It's like the old saying goes: '' once you've seen and tasted all the sweets in a sweet shop,it's difficult to go back to only buying a bag of humbugs ''.
Personally,i may buy one of the cheap ebay eastman A2'a,even the BIN £149.00 with the filthy lining,noone wants,simply because that price range is all i can afford. :cry: :)

Good points here Paul. I am sure John Chapman's jackets have had some impact on the high end A2 market, although this is hard to prove conclusively. The state of the US economy does not help either. BTW John Lever does not make A2s, he buys high quality repros, especially shearlings and some German bike jackets!

zoomer said:
IIRC, he had one of the Eastmans up several months ago at Buy It Now, with a strongly worded notice against dickering because he'd happily keep the jackets if he didn't get his price.

If one of these were a 44 I might consider jumping on it - ELC 42s tend to run short on me.

I presented an offer not too far fetched on one of his A-2's--and I tell you this guy is really not worth dealing with. With his jackets being on Ebay for that long, you wonder why...(and as we all know, Eastmans can go like hotcakes).

ausreenactor

G'day...

I listed a response on the forum the first time the seller listed them. There were four Eastmans...A 1401-P which sold after dropping the price from $699 to $599. The two Stars and the House version..I advised him to staft with a smaller start bid to attract attention. Received an aggressive reply indicating the quality of the items and that he would rather burn them or give them to charity. I advised him that charities supporting the families of the troops would be a good one. Heard nothing since. I promised the wife I would be good this trip and not go crazy on more jackets. Aside from a N-3B for $150 I have been good. Otherwise the $600 would be reasonable. But, like most, I would be keen to get a jacket at a lower price...Some have made offers, and all have been refused. Pride will only last so long as the eBay fees add up. His G-1 for $100 was quite reasonable...Will just keep watching as he relists....

Regards..

Couchy

gomez

Thanks for all the feedback gentlemen. My impression is the seller may be a bit of a snob. Why not take some good pics and measurements then start the bidding at four hundred, five at the most and have a real auction? At his price it is taking a big chance the thing wont fit and I'm also wondering if these jackets have the old or new knits. When did ELC do the upgrade? I may ask him to consider this as I consider why he continues to relist week after week.

havocpaul

Roughwear said:

Eastman's seem to reach around the same price as second-hand Goodwear's, no 2nd-hand repro is going to reach its original selling price unless it's really special or rare...I wonder how many of the visitors to Eastman's stall at Duxford this weekend will be telling Gary his jackets are 'redundant'!?!

shanghai joe

havocpaul said:
Roughwear said:

Eastman's seem to reach around the same price as second-hand Goodwear's, no 2nd-hand repro is going to reach its original selling price unless it's really special or rare...I wonder how many of the visitors to Eastman's stall at Duxford this weekend will be telling Gary his jackets are 'redundant'!?!

sacrilege.!............blasphemy!

zoomer

John Lever said:
deeb7 said:
spitfire said:
ever since John Lever started to expose his * goodies * to the world :eek: :shock: ;)

John ... what have you been up to? :lol:

Dave, he must mean John Chapman I don't have any unfortunately.
What do you mean, no goodies? On two occasions I have gained up close and personal experience of Mr Lever's goodies, and have paid happily for the privilege.

I mean, of course, that I have purchased jackets from his private collection. Fellas, you can stop sniggering anytime.

I said stop sniggering.

shanghai joe

I mean, of course, that I have purchased jackets from his private collection. Fellas, you can stop sniggering anytime.

I said stop sniggering.[/quote][/quote]

guuuuulp..........no snickering intended

the snickering queen