• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman 50.Cal in the flesh....

havocpaul

I promised to report on the new ELC 50.Cal A-2 once I had a chance to see it in the flesh at Duxford. I was helping on a friend's stall and managed to take a quick break at 10.00am when ELC open but there was a massive queue waiting to get in their 'tent' and so it wasn't until the afternoon that I could get another visit in and their stall was still heaving! I did get to see and try a size 42 on and so here are my impressions but are subject to it being a very quick overview....
The 50.cal immediately stood out due to the dark coloured hide and the 'red' knits, it is clearly based on an Aero original pattern with those knits, a mustard colour lining and sharp pocket profile. I personally like the dark steerhide used as it contrasts nicely with the knits and stitching. It did appear quite 'shiny' although difficult to see outside of actual light. Being steerhide I noticed none of that new stiffness associated with horsehide, it is quite a light feeling hide too. I love this 'new' Crown zip and when I tried the jacket on the size 42 was a perfect fit (I have always worn a 42 in repros particularly Eastmans). The wear (burnishing) is quite subtle and not as 'brutal' as their Pearl harbor range; there are areas of nice graining particularly on the arms and back area, I would mention that a size 46 on display had even more graining and wear which looked even nicer than the 42 I tried on so I expect each jacket will have its own individuality, any purchaser might want to enquire about how their jacket will look or better still try one on in person if possible. I would expect the tanning will allow real character to break through the leather quite quickly once the jacket was worn. As much as my reflection in the mirror told me (!) it looked a great wearer and I personally would recommend this new addition to the ELC range as it does offer quite a different style and unique finish. If any other visitors to the show get a chance to report back especially if they had longer to view the jacket it would be helpful. The show seemed to have many more visitors than last year and there were many, many folk wearing A-2's and other jackets. It was good to see so many differing jackets, I was able in particular to spot those wearing an ELC Star contract jacket due to its contrasting stitching and smart look. A few originals were spotted too being worn but all were devoid of patch or paint. I put some pics of the original jackets on display in the museum on the general flight jacket page. I left with a very positive impression of the new 50.cal jacket and if we can avoid the previous bias comments from hijacking this post it might be of some use to those who were interested in the new jacket, thank you. I did buy on impulse their B-2 cap (Eastman one) which had been given a superb vintage finish with the visor bent forward in that veteran aircrew look, fantastic!

jacketimp

the gw hit-team has your name on their bullets........

pass your jkts over quick mr havoc so i can forward them to a safe house...........

Falcon_52

Thanks for the field report, Paul. It's always nice to get a first-hand opinion rather than just looking at pictures on the web. It sounds like this jacket is up to par.

Noel

TankBuster

Sounds like a nice jacket. I like the aero style that they
copied. I'm sure this jacket will do very well. Especially
with people who don't like to do all the work of breaking
in a horsehide jacket. Thanks for the review!

jacketimp

TankBuster said:
Sounds like a nice jacket. I like the aero style that they
copied. I'm sure this jacket will do very well. Especially
with people who don't like to do all the work of breaking
in a horsehide jacket. Thanks for the review!

eeeer recommended for those whoe want the look without the aggro.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %26fvi%3D1

mine! actually me mate's.........as you know i'm not a he-man.....just a wispy imp!

Tim P

just back and I saw the range too. very impressed with the suppleness and ease of wear as well as the natural graining. Dont let anyone tell you it isnt inspired by an original Aero, it screams at you and they are nice. very dark. a clear rival for their star and actually even darker.
Be prepared to go one size up.

Roughwear

havocpaul said:
I promised to report on the new ELC 50.Cal A-2 once I had a chance to see it in the flesh at Duxford. I was helping on a friend's stall and managed to take a quick break at 10.00am when ELC open but there was a massive queue waiting to get in their 'tent' and so it wasn't until the afternoon that I could get another visit in and their stall was still heaving! I did get to see and try a size 42 on and so here are my impressions but are subject to it being a very quick overview....
The 50.cal immediately stood out due to the dark coloured hide and the 'red' knits, it is clearly based on an Aero original pattern with those knits, a mustard colour lining and sharp pocket profile. I personally like the dark steerhide used as it contrasts nicely with the knits and stitching. It did appear quite 'shiny' although difficult to see outside of actual light. Being steerhide I noticed none of that new stiffness associated with horsehide, it is quite a light feeling hide too. I love this 'new' Crown zip and when I tried the jacket on the size 42 was a perfect fit (I have always worn a 42 in repros particularly Eastmans). The wear (burnishing) is quite subtle and not as 'brutal' as their Pearl harbor range; there are areas of nice graining particularly on the arms and back area, I would mention that a size 46 on display had even more graining and wear which looked even nicer than the 42 I tried on so I expect each jacket will have its own individuality, any purchaser might want to enquire about how their jacket will look or better still try one on in person if possible. I would expect the tanning will allow real character to break through the leather quite quickly once the jacket was worn. As much as my reflection in the mirror told me (!) it looked a great wearer and I personally would recommend this new addition to the ELC range as it does offer quite a different style and unique finish. If any other visitors to the show get a chance to report back especially if they had longer to view the jacket it would be helpful. The show seemed to have many more visitors than last year and there were many, many folk wearing A-2's and other jackets. It was good to see so many differing jackets, I was able in particular to spot those wearing an ELC Star contract jacket due to its contrasting stitching and smart look. A few originals were spotted too being worn but all were devoid of patch or paint. I put some pics of the original jackets on display in the museum on the general flight jacket page. I left with a very positive impression of the new 50.cal jacket and if we can avoid the previous bias comments from hijacking this post it might be of some use to those who were interested in the new jacket, thank you. I did buy on impulse their B-2 cap (Eastman one) which had been given a superb vintage finish with the visor bent forward in that veteran aircrew look, fantastic!

Paul, I too visited the ELC mobile shop on the Sunday (today) and tried on the size 42 50 Cal and said to Gary that I had no intention of buying it. However, it was a great fit-very comfortable, without any shoulder droop and I took the plunge and got a reasonable discount from Gary. I will take some pics next weekend. I wore it during the show and it did not feel like a new jacket at all. The sleeves already have wrinkles and there are some pronounced areas of grain. I showed it to Tim, who was impressed. I asked Gary if it was based on an Aero, but he said it was not! Hmm...I have compared it with my original 21996 Aeros and there are many similarities, not just the berry knits, mustard lining, ring snaps, but the shape of the pocket flaps and wider sleeves. It makes a nice addition to the ELC range.

jacketimp

Roughwear said:
havocpaul said:

Paul, I too visited the ELC mobile shop on the Sunday (today) and tried on the size 42 50 Cal and said to Gary that I had no intention of buying it. However, it was a great fit-very comfortable, without any shoulder droop and I took the plunge and got a reasonable discount from Gary. I will take some pics next weekend. I wore it during the show and it did not feel like a new jacket at all. The sleeves already have wrinkles and there are some pronounced areas of grain. I showed it to Tim, who was impressed. I asked Gary if it was based on an Aero, but he said it was not! Hmm...I have compared it with my original 21996 Aeros and there are many similarities, not just the berry knits, mustard lining, ring snaps, but the shape of the pocket flaps and wider sleeves. It makes a nice addition to the ELC range.

et tu, RW ? :eek:

enjoy your 'new' jkt!

Curahee

jacketimp said:
Roughwear said:
havocpaul said:

et tu, RW ? :eek:

enjoy your 'new' jkt!

Keep it up pimpmeister :mrgreen: and while you do read Rotenhahn's post on the reprosection ! what are you hoping to accomplish with this ?

Swing

jacketimp said:

Ha! Ain't that the truth! :lol: Watch out for the Rooster, he'll peck your eyes out!

~Swing

jacketimp

Swing said:
jacketimp said:

Ha! Ain't that the truth! :lol: Watch out for the Rooster, he'll peck your eyes out!

~Swing

the eyes have it..............in some culture it's a delicattessen.........think silence of the lambs!

hannibal canibal imp :twisted:

A

Anonymous

Well,
I just ordered one from Gary this morning and as there is one in my size in stock, I should have it tomorrow or the day after. I'll post some actual photos of it as so far there isn't one to be found anywhere. Then others as the jacket gets worn in (Assuming I like it and decide to keep it of course!)

I was caught between the Pearl Harbour one and the .50cal so we shall see what turns up.

Of course it would be nice to have a Good Wear too but between the £600 cost and waiting list, I'll leave that for now. I know Rotehahn says that quality is worth paying for

"!!??!!!? Yeah- why spend extra money for the best- I'll just settle for second or third best! great logic! "

But you can only piss with the c*ck you've got and I for one am not a millionaire playboy like himself . With that logic I would have an Aston Martin and houses all over the world - whether or not I could afford them. You can tell I was kinda insulted that the fact that I can only afford cheap crap goes against my value as a forum member. :twisted:

The debate goes on !!!!! :D :D :D

J_H

ties70

JACKET_ HEAD said:
Well,
I just ordered one from Gary this morning and as there is one in my size in stock, I should have it tomorrow or the day after. I'll post some actual photos of it as so far there isn't one to be found anywhere. Then others as the jacket gets worn in (Assuming I like it and decide to keep it of course!)

I was caught between the Pearl Harbour one and the .50cal so we shall see what turns up.

Of course it would be nice to have a Good Wear too but between the £600 cost and waiting list, I'll leave that for now. I know Rotehahn says that quality is worth paying for

"!!??!!!? Yeah- why spend extra money for the best- I'll just settle for second or third best! great logic! "

But you can only piss with the c*ck you've got and I for one am not a millionaire playboy like himself . With that logic I would have an Aston Martin and houses all over the world - whether or not I could afford them. You can tell I was kinda insulted that the fact that I can only afford cheap crap goes against my value as a forum member. :twisted:

The debate goes on !!!!! :D :D :D

J_H

J_H,

if I understand you correctly it is not that you wouldn't pay the price of a GW if you had the money, right? So it's more a question of your actual personal funds than the amount of money John wants for his jackets...

What Jeff says (in his unique prosaic language :D ) is not really an insult or a classification into 1. and 2. class owners...sorry, that you understood it that way. For me, he just raises the question...

Why buy a jacket now instead of putting the money into the piggy bank and get the jacket you want a little bit later?

Maybe the answer is quite simple:
We are all little junkies, waiting for our next fix....if we feel the need for a jacket, we want it NOW. I have bought a lot of jackets that way and most of them lost their thrill pretty soon. They had cost me a lot of money, though...

Regards,

Ties

A

Anonymous

Hi Ties,
I do get your point but what I am saying is that it would be nice to have examples from all the different high end repro makers - if I had the money. Sadly I don't. I have too many other committments. :roll: And to me, a Good Wear - undoubtedly good as it is - is too much to pay over an ELC A-2 for the difference in 'authenticity' if buying from outside the USA. US jacket heads could argue the reverse and have in fact done so for years regarding UK makers. $800 is comparable to ELC all other things being equal. It's the shipping and import taxes that are the killer from either direction. Sure I'd like a Good Wear. And an RMNZ, RMJ etc, etc. And not just A-2s :)

And regarding 'authenticity - how can a jacket be truly authentic if people are going to give their measurements to JC for a custom fit ? Surely that only gets you an authentic look !

Cheers all,
J_H

havocpaul

Looking forward to your pics J.H. Gary said to me at Duxford that they were making stock of the 50.cal at the moment so supply should be good I guess. So that's two forum members with the jacket now and it will be interesting to compare notes. It isn't a battle between ELC and GW, there is no jacket that is perfect, well perhaps in the owner's eyes (and mirror!) so hopefully any reviews with pics will avoid the previous Model T type thread, you haven't chosen second-best at all and I should know as I own a GW and Eastman's, each with their own characters; you'll love that new Crown zip too.

Roughwear

Here are some pics taken today in the garden. I did not buy the jacket as a 100% copy of an Aero. It is very similar to WW11 Aeros of course. I bought it because it is stylish and a decent fit being a 42. I already have two GWs and ten originals, including two Aeros, so total authenticity is not really an issue. The jacket is also very comfortable and does not suffer from shoulder droop. There are many places where the steer hide has a very distinctive grain and also smoother sections as on many originals. It is astylish everyday wearer and I am very pleased with it.

001-12.jpg

002-12.jpg

003-12.jpg

004-16.jpg

005-16.jpg

006-13.jpg

007-15.jpg

008-17.jpg

009-16.jpg

010-15.jpg

011-20.jpg

012-18.jpg

013-16.jpg

014-18.jpg

016-18.jpg

A

Anonymous

Thanks for posting those photos Andrew. Jacket looks great. Reinforces my reasons for wanting one. Fits you well, very well.

Paul, wise words as always. I hope my review will be impartial. I do like GW, it's just that the taxes and shipping are a killer. Also I have had two Gw's and whilst I can see their quality, they didn't fit me well. (Maybe they were test jackets?) Also, not having any originals, I don't have Rote's problem that everything is tempered by knowing originals inside out. That must be a blessing and a curse !

If this fits me how I imagine/want an A-2 to fit me then I'll be happy. Fair nuff ?

J_H

Vcruiser

Jeeze
Please everyone..stop apologising....
We are all entitled to our opinion....and tastes... reguardless of nitpickers or surpreme experts. I could care less if one of them might think I didn't do it their way.
Van

Roughwear

Vcruiser said:
Jeeze
Please everyone..stop apologising....
We are all entitled to our opinion....and tastes... reguardless of nitpickers or surpreme experts. I could care less if one of them might think I didn't do it their way.
Van

Thanks for your wise words Van.