• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman 1401P vs 27752

Brettafett

Quality is good with all the top end makers (although I will continue to moan about ELC's knits...)
Zippers on all these jackets can sometimes have bad days ;)

Collars, ELCs are slightly on the larger side. Depends on size on jacket maybe, (ie appears larger on a 40, than say a 46?). This may be because the originals in their collection do have larger collars, I cant say. But GWs collars are perfectly proportioned and sized (Bill Kelso's are also properly sized to my eye)
GW and BK also nail the pocket flaps correctly, not just on RWs. I really dont want this to come across as a ELC-bashing, we're really scrutinising details here.

I'd contact the 'horse' itself, but roughly...
The wait for an ELC is immediate if they have your size in stock, in a regular. If you need to exchange or have some length added, then you will wait... maybe 1 to 2 months?
GW, the current wait is around a year to a year and a half, with a $200 deposit.
BK, is around 6 months or longer.

Brettafett

Really enjoyed that wise 'ol thread, and Im sure we all agree about what's important and what's not... really.

However, the guys going to drop upwards of £1000 on a jacket, and he asked for opinions... If not on this forum, where...
I wish someone was around back when I started throwing money at these things... Would have saved a lot of cash and precious time. Im happy to 'chime in'...

End of the day, its just a jacket, but an expensive one. So best try get it right.

mulceber

GW, the current wait is around a year to a year and a half,
Although that’s assuming John doesn’t offer you one he’s already made that would fit you. Ordinarily I’d say it’s unlikely that he’d have one, but John makes a LOT of Rough Wears, and it sounds like you’re a size he makes a lot. If you mention in your form that you’re flexible about which contract you get (it doesn’t sound like you’re 100% committed to either 1401-P or 27752) and say you’d be open to a test jacket, the wait could be shorter, maybe even a LOT shorter.

Last edited:

B-Man2

I’m late to the conversation so I hope its ok to jump in here. I know that JC is continuously tweaking his patterns to put out as accurate as possible repos of original A2 jackets. You can see it by comparing some of his earlier jackets with some of his recent offerings of that same contract. For example. a number of years ago I had the opportunity to purchase the VERY FIRST repro Rough Wear 1401P that John had ever made. I still have that jacket today. I’ll post some photos of it below. If you compare WZ1999s GW 1401p, which is a later model, you’ll see subtle changes that JC made to the contract over the years. The most obvious are the knits, but check out the two jackets for yourselves and see what stands out . Now if one of you has an older ELC 1401p, try matching it up against a newer model to see if the same is true. Are there changes to the patterns over the years? I’ve always liked comparisons like this because you can see pretty accurately which maker is making an effort to continuously upgrade their patterns .
8236FF81-702E-4323-A7EB-0516C3C58FF6.jpeg
678BDD97-2A24-48D9-902C-ED06FCAF6735.jpeg
7FBA9744-9783-403D-8F77-EEEE4F34844E.jpeg

Last edited:

ausreenactor

I have always taken the dilemma on a jacket by jacket basis. 'CBI' now has a GW RW that I traded a BR for. I happily moved that on. I have had three ELC RW 27752s. Two were nowhere near as good as the other. Not timeline based. All hide and finish based.

Ordering a GW direct is a very wise proposition. Buying one second hand is tied to risk, given the bespoke nature. I have a GW Perry here that was obviously owned by a buyer with a longer front than a longer back (husky some might say). I have never had a bad fit on a ELC or BR...off the rack...Sleeves are always fine... Might be a 'wartime fit' or an 'athletic fit'. But they always fit.

Kermit3D

Thanks again for your help!!!
1)Yes I know Good Wear, but I leave in EU and Eastman is easier to buy and also I can change size if wrong
2) Do you have photos of your RW, so I can understand better about the wartime fit and the trim fit

Thanks again!!!
Just a clarification:
If you are going to Europe, be aware that you have to pay the customs fees by buying a jacket from Eastman (which is in the UK). For an Eastman A-2 jacket, that's 284 euros ($300).

bgbgbg

Just a clarification:
If you are going to Europe, be aware that you have to pay the customs fees by buying a jacket from Eastman (which is in the UK). For an Eastman A-2 jacket, that's 284 euros ($300).
Yes, I know, I live in Italy, UK is anyway easier than US

Chandler

What do you think of ELC RW collar? Do the original collars where smaller?
Personally, I think the collar on my 1401 lays, when worn, just like the Great Escape jacket McQueen wears in the flick.

However, mine is over 20 years old -- so ELC could have adjusted patterns over time.

bgbgbg

You might look at Bill Kelso as well. They're located in the EU (although they charge in pounds), and are in the same general ballpark of quality as Eastman.
Thanks! My first choice would be a GW, but if there is a lot to wait I will buy an ELC or BK. Wich is better for RW repro? BK or ELC? BK or GW? Thanks!

bgbgbg

W
BK will take a few months (6-8 months, last I checked), but the benefit is they tend shorter than Eastman, and have a smaller collar. Here’s a picture of a RW 23380 I used to have from them:
View attachment 79098
Wow, very nice!!! How are the knit cuffs of BK? I think I Am 44-46 regular of Eastman RW (so 46). Do you think BK always 46? Thanks