• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman 1401P vs 27752

bgbgbg

Hello to everyone!
I would like to buy my first Eastman. Unfortunately I can not try it, but I have to buy it online.
My personal favourites are the 1401P and 27752, I love them both... Wich do you suggest me as first A2 jacket? Wich one is most iconic?
Do they have the same fit?

Thank you!!!!!

mulceber

Wich one is most iconic?

Really depends on what you're looking for. One is more Jimmy Stewart (1401-P), the other is more Steve McQueen (okay, Gary Eastman claims the Great Escape jacket was a RW 16159, but a seal Rough Wear is always going to be evocative of Virgil Hilts).

Do they have the same fit?

Yep. Rough Wear stayed pretty consistent across its contracts, so there was little difference in terms of pattern between the 1401-P and the 27752. I'm sure Eastman's 1401-P replica is just a 27752 in russet with a different zipper, and vice versa.

Silver Surfer

yes, they fit the same. diff? one is russet, and one is seal....but you already know that. personally, I prefer the 1401, as it is iconic in color and rw fit. in originals, about the only diff between the 1401 and 27753, besides color [some 27752s were russet btw] is that the pocket flaps on the 1401 were slightly shorter top to bottom, and the 1401 had a crown zipper, where as the 27752 had a talon zipper.

Chandler

My first high-end repro was an ELC RW 1401 -- though many years ago (but I still own and wear it all the time).

I chose the 1401 only because it was the earlier contract -- I have an attachment to pre- and early war items.

Let us know what you choose.

Greg Gale

As said above, the choice comes down to whether you prefer russet or seal. Both are equally iconic.

On a sidenote, I've seen 1401s from ELC that had an amazing russet color and some others that looked off to me, kind of orangey. Maybe it was just the lighting.

Brettafett

If not already, request leather samples. That way you can better gauge what you might prefer to wear.
Note: The samples are generally good indicators, but your jacket might vary slightly.

bgbgbg

Thanks to everyone for your help! Just one last question about sizing. I am 112cm chest and I have large shoulders since I was a swimmer, I am 1,81 and 81kg. The site suggest me a 44, do you think could it be fine? I also wrote a mail to Eastman for measures and the 44 is 48,5cm shoulder and 58,5cm pit to pit. 46 is 49,5cm shoulders and 60cm pit to pit. Wich one do you think is better? Thanks again!!!!!

Brettafett

Fit can be a bit subjective.
Im 1,81, 40" chest and 72kgs... and have owned too many ELC RWs to count, both 27752 and 1401. Im in-between a 40 and 42, ideally.
40 fits trim, with not much more than a T-shirt, but is a little bit tight at the pits and in the shoulders... And short.
A 42 fits well, but is now a touch on the roomy side and still needs an added inch.

Are you in the UK? If so, no drama you can try a jacket for fit and exchange if it doesn't.
If you are EU, then can do the same, but it may cost a bit in postage.

My best guess, would be to err on the side of caution and try a 46. That would also go some ways to help with lengths.
It may feel a touch roomy in the torso/ waist, but once it wears in, it will 'mould' to your shape.

bgbgbg

Fit can be a bit subjective.
Im 1,81, 40" chest and 72kgs... and have owned too many ELC RWs to count, both 27752 and 1401. Im in-between a 40 and 42, ideally.
40 fits trim, with not much more than a T-shirt, but is a little bit tight at the pits and in the shoulders... And short.
A 42 fits well, but is now a touch on the roomy side and still needs an added inch.

Are you in the UK? If so, no drama you can try a jacket for fit and exchange if it doesn't.
If you are EU, then can do the same, but it may cost a bit in postage.

My best guess, would be to err on the side of caution and try a 46. That would also go some ways to help with lengths.
It may feel a touch roomy in the torso/ waist, but once it wears in, it will 'mould' to your shape.
Thanks for reply, but do you think if I am 112cm (44mm he’s) the chest of size 44 will be trim?pit to pit is 23inches in 44

Brettafett

Also, the armholes are on the smaller side, or at least, not large (some contracts have a slightly larger arm holes)...
So with broad shoulders, if you go with your chest size, a 44 is going to be trim.

Depends what you will wear under the jacket also. T-shirt, long sleeve shirt, light jumper... Sizing up is safer. And you'll be able to layer.

As I said, I have a 40" chest and can get away wearing a size 40, but only with a T-shirt and it does feel trim and Im a trim bloke (also used to swim and surf)
A 42 fits easier, although it does feel like there's more room in the torso. But I can layer a 42 and move my arms around.
Bottom line, whatever your chest, size one up.

For example... Here are two of mine.
Left size 40 with 1" added to sleeves. Wearable, but a bit trim in the pits. Right, size 42 regular. More comfy, noticeably more room.
RW1401 ELC PopUP.jpg
ELC RW1401 23FG.jpg

Last edited:

mulceber

And it's absolutely standard to go up a size for A-2 jackets. I have a 40 inch chest and routinely wear a 42. Others can share similar stories. Point being that if you have a 44 inch chest, you should probably wear a 46. A 44 MIGHT be doable, but it will not be a very comfortable fit, and certainly not what we would call a "wartime fit:"
FRE_000074.jpg

foster

Both of these contracts are, unless I am mistaken, the same pattern and fit. The primary differences are the zipper (replica Crown for the 1401-P and Talon for the 27752) and the hide (russet for 1401-P and seal for 27752).

Pockets may be placed a little high on both, unless Eastman has changed this in the last few years.

Lord Flashheart

I've an ELC 27752 and as a newbie it was my first proper A-2 repro. I have heard the Crown zipper needs more respect than the Talon but I'd need others to comment on that as I've no hands on experience.

Edit. I'm a 40 usually. The ELC 42 fits fine.

Last edited:

mulceber

How many definitions of a "wartime fit" do we recognize these days? :p

FWIW -- I'm in the camp your pic represents. ;)

My understanding was that “wartime fit” is a euphemism for “baggy.” :D

I have heard the Crown zipper needs more respect than the Talon but I'd need others to comment on that as I've no hands on experience.

Crowns are definitely the prettier zipper, but original talons were better constructed: iirc, Crown teeth were cast directly onto the tape, which worked fine in the short term, but was bad for their long-term longevity. Talon made their zippers to a higher standard.

Of course, these are repro crowns and talons, so the quality of construction is the same.

Chandler

My understanding was that “wartime fit” is a euphemism for “baggy.” :D
I've seen the opposite referred to as "WF" on these very pages. Different perspectives, I guess -- though I think I've seen more (period) images of the "comfortable" fit than the "constricting" fit. ;)

Last edited:

bn1966

I’m a 46 and the RW A-2 I first purchased was a 46..it was a straitjacket. Have now sized up to a 48 which is much more comfortable and allows a light sweater underneat.