• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early D-1 Jacket on Ebay

Changeling

Interesting early D-1 with a button front, listing says- This is a genuine ground crew jacket, most likely of pre-war manufacture but clearly has been used, with evidence of repair and one area of damage (see images). The name "F Coler" is clearly marked on the front. Manufactured by the San Antonio Aero Dept, it is very unusual in that it has button fastening. Despite hours of research we haven't been able to find any further information

Silver Surfer

looks right as rain, though i have to say that i have never seen a button version, although i have seen some without pockets. 1930s version? live and learn. that jacket is just too cool for school.

Changeling

Yes they seem to vary, with I think earlier jackets not tending to have the two zipped pockets seen on later jackets.

B-Man2

This is a pretty good example of what I was referring to in the vintage thread. Great learning op here. Never knew these things had button holes before they had zips........or did they?? Or was this done by a rigger during or after the war . Now the research starts and the learning begins. That’s what’s good about this forum.

Silver Surfer

i gave it a good look see, and it looks like the the button holes are original.....and pretty well done as well. wanna know how original? check in at the end of the auction to see what the big boys bid on it.

asiamiles

Never knew these things had button holes before they had zips........or did they??
Even without zooming in on the photo there looks to be clear evidence that this used to have a zip. Presumably after it broke the owner decided, for some reason, it was easier to replace it with buttons.

Changeling

A similar early jacket with the seams in the same places but missing the two little squares of leather either side of the bottom of the zip. No information on this jacket, I just borrowed ( nabbed ) the photo from the web. Also a good photo of the later jackets.

denny@aero

This will be a post war repair. As said by Asiamiles you can clearly see the original stitch holes from the zip.
Zip would have been broken and owner probably struggled to find someone capable of replacing the Zip (even today it's not so easy to find) and probably just wanted a wearable jacket so fitted buttons instead. Post war there were so many flight jackets kicking around they didn't have the "value" they have today so went through all sorts of weird and wonderful modifications and repair jobs.