• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Aero A-2 ?

s4rmark

That’s a shame but also really interesting to know the history of the jacket and that it still has the original zipper as fitted by you all those years ago.

robrinay

I
I’ve got an early Patrolmans jacket and from memory (I can’t check till Thursday) it’s got an eclair slider. If mines not an eclair it’s definitely a French name.
I was wrong - my early Aero Patrolman’s jacket has an Ailée zip
051EFA10-174D-4197-95AD-A5DDC3780DA6.jpeg

denny@aero

That’s a shame but also really interesting to know the history of the jacket and that it still has the original zipper as fitted by you all those years ago.
Apologies i should have asked to see the puller first, I had thought it may have had the Talon puller.
I know it may be nice to keep everything original to how it was made but the puller on yours isn't particully nice, as Ken says we used what was available then. If you do want to try the Talon slider that you should recieve by Monday i have tried it on a jacket we have here from the same time period as yours and it works fine so you should give it a try.

Attachments

• 20210319_104046.jpg
    20210319_104046.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 164
  • 20210319_110458.jpg
    20210319_110458.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 149
  • 20210319_104056.jpg
    20210319_104056.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 178
  • 20210319_110403.jpg
    20210319_110403.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 166

s4rmark

Thanks Denny, I'll give it a try. The stopper box or whatever it is called looks the same as the one in your photos. Now I do have another problem . The jacket absolutely reeks of cigarettes and has that musty odour of being stored in a loft!

s4rmark

the musty smell is still there but not as bad now that I’ve cleaned and conditioned the leather. The jackets now hung on the back of a chair with one of my wife’s aromatic candles at a safe distance from it. Hopefully it should soon smell of wild Berry fruits!

s4rmark

Maybe that would work, I have also left it out on a coat hanger on a tree in the garden. When it’s been dry outside

Chandler

I had an old G-1 many years ago that must have come out of a damp cellar.

A friend was selling ozone machines for disinfection in a variety of applications. He did the magic in and out of the jacket and cured it of all stink.

Not even sure if ozone machines are still a "thing," but it worked great.

Last edited: